The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2009, 10:18 AM   #1
QBall45

Which Chronograph??

Help me decide which chronograph to buy.

I'm looking at the Pro Chrono, Shooting Chrony F-1 & Beta-Chrony.

I'm looking for a chrono to aid in load development. Am not trying to duplicate any factory load, I just think it would be cool to know have fast my lead is being sent down range. I've been ok without one for a couple years but I have decided I "need" one.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by QBall45; December 3, 2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error
Old December 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #2
rwilson452

If you get the Chrony chronograph I would highly recommend you get the master variant You mentioned the F1 And the Beta. I think the Alpha master would be a better pick. The Beta will likely have more features than you will use.
Old December 1, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
QBall45

What's the differance between the Bata & the Master?

It looks like the only differance is the master comes with the remote monitor.
Old December 1, 2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Claude Clay

I'm supposing you could look through binoculars after each shot or get up and go down range to look at the numbers. but the extra $'s for the remote seems well spent.
it also puts the crono at the same distance each time.
but if you are just interested in testing a few loads--the remote is not necessary. and i believe it can be added later if you change your mind.

if you share the range the remote is +good also cause cronos bring people together--
other shooters see you and are interested in their numbers.......
can be that you get to shoot a lot of other peoples guns & ammo for 'free'

......id buy with the remote; and i did, more than 20 years ago.

good luck

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old December 1, 2009, 02:01 PM   #5
totaldla

The remote display is a huge plus. Also, it is nice to just shoot and have the unit give you the Number of shots, Extreme Spread, Average and Standard Deviation. I don't mind writing stuff in a notebook, so I don't use a printer. It would be neat if Chrony would store to an SD card or USB thumb drive.

Also, if you use the Chrony upside down, (sensors looking at a sheet of butcher paper), you'll be less likely to shoot it and it will be less sensitive to prevailing light.
Old December 1, 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
QBall45

Ok. So I guess I want the remote. That makes sense.

Alpha or Beta?

Looks like the Beta Master has about double the memory.
Old December 1, 2009, 02:47 PM   #7
RickV

I have the beta master. Does a good job. I don't use all the features but they are there if I want them. One word of advice no matter which one you get pickup some wood dowels 3/16" (the factory steel rods are 5/32) and make rods for the difusers. You or a bud will end up shooting it and with the wood rods you will not be sending it back for repairs. Take it from someone who has personal experience.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
QBall45

So when I get it ishould I replace the metal rods right away? Or just have the dowel rod replacement on hand for if/when I end up shooting it?
Old December 1, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
PCJim

QBall, he means immediately. If you shoot a wooden dowel, it splinters and minimizes a lot of the impact. Shooting a metal rod will transfer all that energy to the sensor packs, most likely destroying them.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:18 PM   #10
QBall45

pcjim,
Thanks for clairifying that for me. Wouldn't want to smoke that $$ when I don't have to.

Is the Shooting Chrony "the" brand to buy? Or am I missing others in the same price range?
Old December 1, 2009, 03:34 PM   #11
PCJim

Shooting Chrony is the manufacturer that I have, a Beta Master model but that doesn't mean that it is better than any other. Any make/model will give you what you are looking for, some have more bells & whistles. I do recommend that you get a remote display as already mentioned.

Keep in mind that many chronographs are used a lot when first purchased, and then much less often as time passes. You develop certain loads and prove them, then reload those same recipes over and over. A chronograph is not a novelty item, but they are definitely not a "must take" item like safety glasses or ear protection that you will take to the range on every trip.
Old December 1, 2009, 03:52 PM   #12
QBall45

Thanks for the help.

While not a necessity, I think this may be a nice addition.

Now I better figure who's got the best price.
Old December 1, 2009, 04:30 PM   #13
RickV

Yeah I meant do it right away. BTW the wood dowels are available at Home Depot or Lowe's. Cut them to the same length as the metal rods then put one end in a drill get some fine grit sand paper and sand down about 2" to fit in the Chrony housing. The Shooting Chrony is canadian so they use metrics and you can't find a wood dowel the same size. I caught mine on sale from Midway.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:28 PM   #14
rwilson452

What I did instead of sanding down the dowel was ream out the holes in the Chrony. I wouldn't suggest this for anyone without a good mechanical aptitude.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:57 AM   #15
totaldla

Or you can skip the worry and use it upside down. After you shoot yours you'll understand.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:09 AM   #16
QBall45

Not sure that I'm going to try setting up a chrony upside down. Seems that would be some work figuring out how to hang it up.

Looks much easier to pull out an old tripod, set up the chrony & go shoot.

I'm thinking that replacing the metal rods with wooden dowels will be a simple task.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:28 AM   #17
UGH

I have the Chrony with the printer and all the other bells and whistles. It is more than I will ever need and it works fine..No complaints yet.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:27 PM   #18
totaldla

People shoot upright Chronies for a simple reason: The Chrony sits below the visual plane of the sights. Hand-gun trigger mashers, new Vaquero with unfiled front sight, scoped rifles - I've seen my share of dead/wounded Chrony's. Good thing they are cheap!

Shoot under the Chrony and it will live longer and be less affected by shifting light, cloudy days, dusk, dawn, etc. And you wont need the diffusers.

The Chrony uses the standard 1/4"x20 camera mount. My old tripod can mount underneath. But a bolt, chunk of 2x4, and some old fiberglass tent poles, or bolt, wood, Costco white folding table - well, you get the idea.

Anyways, have fun. A Chrony is a good investment for a handloader.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:45 AM   #19
draggon

What's a Prop Chrono. Googled it and couldn't find anything to match.
Anyway I have used a Pact chrono/timer for years, no problems but just a little inconvenient with leads everywhere. Recently started shooting on another private range and rather than move the Pact around I bought a Competition Electronics ProDigital.
Based my decision (sight unseen) on reports of a larger shooting "window" so less chance of shooting the chrono.
Used it last weekend and am very impressed. Set up easily on a tripod, did not miss a reading despite change in weather conditions during the day, and large numerals, easy to read at 15 - 20 feet so didn't have to go up to the unit or use binos which can be a hassle at a public range waiting for ceasefires.
Price competitive with Chrony and made in USA.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:44 AM   #20
QBall45

Draggon,
Thanks for being the spelling nazi....best I can figure a prop chrono is something that measures the speed at which a propeller turns.

Your Competition Electronics Pro Digital is one on the ones I'm looking at... The Pro Chrono.

Thanks for you help. I would not have known there was another name for this product.
Old December 3, 2009, 04:46 PM   #21
draggon

Actually wasn't questioning your spelling and really did a google search. It was 0100hrs here when I logged that reply and too tired to think outside the square.
You are right, they are called CE ProChrono and there are 2 versions, the Pal and the Digital.
I bought the Digital and as I stated it is an impressive (so far) unit. I consider it money well spent.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:01 PM   #22
QBall45

Please forgive my referance to you being the spelling nazi. There are those that live to nit pick a guys spelling & grammer. I kbow I posted orignally driving down the road. Normally I run spell check before posting. Guess it would not have questioned the spelling of prop. Which I had grammer check on my crackberry.

Thabks for your input on the digital model. I'll look it over.