The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1
badaceds650

which lee progressive

pro 1000 or load master mainly used for 45acp 380auto 45colt 38special 7.62x39 and 223 ill load my 30.06 on my turret oh yeah i know you might like other brand but im only interested in lee
Old March 13, 2006, 12:40 PM   #2
caz223

With the recent improvements in lee's single stage 'classic cast' and 'classic turret' models, I'd wait for a 'classic loadmaster' before making the leap.
Hopefully, they're working on one, and hopefully, it will be out sometime this summer.
Old March 13, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

Neither
Old March 13, 2006, 07:50 PM   #4
HSMITH

If you only want a Lee product get the classic cast turret.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5
rwilson452

Lee progressive

If you really have the "need for speed" You really want to turn out a lot of pistol ammo in a short time. your choices are the 1000 and the loadmaster. skip the 1000. Should you be reloading pistol ammo such as the .45ACP invest in a factory crimp die for that last die station. you will be glad you did. A word of warning setting up one of these presses follow the directions exactly. the press will turn out lots of good ammo but is very picky about being set up correctly. I have turned out 1000's of .38SPL and .45ACP on mine I just took me a couple of tries to get it right. I bought the multitube stuff for cases and bullets. it's more to watch and I don't think it really all that much of a time saver. Doing it again I would have stayed with a single tube bullet feeder and just bought extra tubes. the multi tuble case feeder is ok and the feeder on top does save time.

I do all my rifle stuff on the Classic Cast. I like that press too. I also like the fact that they use the same foot print as I only have room to mount one press at a time on my bench.
Old March 15, 2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Wrangler5

I used an original Lee turret (3-hole) for about 15 years, and about 10 years ago got a Loadmaster. Both took a bit of fiddling to get working properly, but once set up the ongoing maintenance is minimal, and the parts that wear or break (the nylon turret activator on the turret press, and the primer slider on the loadmaster) are so cheap that I just keep a supply on hand. Oh, and I just had to replace the shellplate indexer after 10 years of use - $3 from Midway.

I find the loadmaster to be vastly faster to turn out handgun ammo, and think the case feeder (with its shake-it-to-fill-the-tubes case collator) is a real asset in this area. Be aware, though, that the case collator is NOT reliable with cases as short and light as 9mm and 380, and will put an unreasonable number of those sized cases into the tubes upside down. It is just about perfectly reliable on 45ACP, and it is virtually impossible to get a long revolver cartridge like a 38 or 45 Colt to go into the tubes upside down. I load both 380 and 9mm, as well as 38/357, 9mm Makarov, 44 Mag, 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim, and I used to load 45 Colt. Only the 380 and short 9mm cases need careful manipulation in the case collator to be sure all cases go in the tubes the right way. (Problem is the short cases are short enough, and the rims light enough, that they can extend over the entry holes in the case collator enough to tip in mouth first, while the slightly longer cases have a heavy enough rim that the case mouths won't tip into the holes.)

The loadmaster also makes for very speedy partial case-processing, which I do when working up a stepped series of loads to check over a chronograph. Load up the case and primer feeders, but leave the powder hopper empty. Run 50 or 100 cases through sizing, priming and expanding (53 or 103 handle strokes), and remove each case to a loading block after the expanding step - very easy to do with this press. I use a benchmounted powder measure to load 10 cases with a particular weight of powder, then put each case back into the press for bullet seating and final crimp (12 handle strokes for each 10 rounds.) Put all 10 rounds in one row of a marked ammo box, and reset the poweder measure for the next set of 10. And so on. Very convenient.
Old March 20, 2006, 01:08 PM   #7
badaceds650

thanks for all the help ill go with the load master