The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Johnywinslow

what size caps for uberti dragoons?

what size caps do uberti dragoon revolvers use 10 or 11? should i get aftermarket 11 nipples if not? my remington uses #10 and can be a pain in the butt stock to find.
Old February 10, 2010, 03:07 PM   #2
okiefarmer

Problem I have had with putting 10s on size 11 nipples is not firing the first time. It tends to seat the cap on down the first time, although sometimes it fires too. The second hit with the hammer is usually a fire. I got some 10s by mistake one time, and used enough before I realized what the issue was, and wasn't able to take them back

I've got some #10 nipples that I just squeeze #11 nipples down to fit, but they still sometimes fall off. I hear ya on the PITA to keep both around, but sometimes, it is a necessary evil.

If mine ever wear out, I likely will change all to #11. I would think that could be done. Just need to keep the thread size the same and nipple height equal. Don't have to say Remington, etc on it.
Old February 10, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
mykeal

Cap size numbers are meaningless when it comes to describing the size of the caps. Remington No. 10's are not the same size as CCI No. 10's, nor are the No. 11's the same size. Thus when talking about caps you must also specify the brand. Also, No. 11's are not necessarily larger than No. 10's; CCI No. 11's are larger than CCI No. 10's but Remington No. 11's are actually smaller than Remington No. 10's. Here are the dimensions of the most popular caps currently available:

And just to make things interesting, these dimensions vary from batch to batch; you don't get 3 decimal place precision for 4 cents apiece. So what fits your nipples on one gun today may not fit a year from now.

Isn't this fun?
Old February 10, 2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Johnywinslow

oh geez that helps! I want to get nipples that fit cci #11 magnum caps i use on the smoke pole.I will probebly order new nipples with the guns, also what about ball size? .454 or .457? im guessing .457?
Old February 10, 2010, 04:14 PM   #5
steelman762

I use #11 on my 1858 new army. You have to just pinch the sides a little and they will fit snug. If its a 44cal pistol use 454 dia and a 45cal sould be 457dia.
Old February 10, 2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Pinching Caps

Folks,

Regarding pinching caps to make them stay on the nipples.....

I know this is done. I have done it myself. Maybe it is part of black powder dogma and hence should not be questioned.

BUT.

The only time I ever experienced a chain fire event was on the day I pinched the caps on my Sheriff's Model .36 Colt. I am relatively certain that the chain fire occured through the nipple rather than the chamber because I had schmootzed up the chambers with schmootz. The recoil shield and ring on the pistol is in good shape and the cap was seated on the nipple so that I don't think the recoil bounced the cap on the recoil sheild and set it off. I had shot that pistol numerous times and only once did I have the chain fire event. That was the time I bit the caps. That is the last time I ever 1) shot that pistol and 2) squeezed caps.

When you squeeze in on one axis of the cap, the 90 degree axis opens up. Obviously I can't be certain, but I believe this was the route of the fire which ignited the second chamber.

Can any other member share chainfire experience even loosely associated with pinching caps?
Old February 10, 2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Deadguy

I use Number 10 remingtons on my Dragoon and Walker and still have to pinch the caps a little bit for a snug fit.