The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2009, 03:22 PM   #226
JIsabelle218

KB8UBL,
I see you have your setup in the garage. . .do you store you powders and primers out their as well? How do they fair? I'm in LA, just bought a new house and feeling I may be banished to garage. . .wondering how everything does out in the "elements" but then again i guess you don't have too much humidity to deal with in AZ.
Old October 1, 2009, 03:39 PM   #227
Foxbat

If yours is a typical attached garage, then you should not have a problem, as these are climate controlled to some degree.

A detached garage is different, and there you would need some means of controlling humidity.
Old October 1, 2009, 03:42 PM   #228
Rembrandt

Ceiling is low so had trouble seeing into the case feeder, added a convex truck mirror solved the problem. Sheesh, the gadgets we come up with to make life simpler.

Made a few changes since my original post, here's a couple more pics. Seems the reloading room is constantly evolving....

Old October 1, 2009, 03:50 PM   #229
Foxbat

Lovely! I too had a mirror put above the case feeder of my 1050 at some point (a regular one, didn't have a convex), when I put it up on a pedestal, for loading standing up. That machine is so tall that in that position I could not see anything - I can on the 650's.

The mirror gave me the view, but I still could not reach inside of it, so I ended up mounting the press BELOW the standard 32" bench - dropped it about 4".
Old October 1, 2009, 09:51 PM   #230
Citywaterman

Citywaterman's bench

Here's a photo of my reloading just after I built it. It's designed after the NRMA reloading bench design plans. It has plenty of room and I love it. I keep it neat and organized. I like it that way. Sorry the photo is so big. Citywaterman

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0959.jpg (178.1 KB, 5254 views)

Last edited by Citywaterman; October 1, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old October 1, 2009, 10:51 PM   #231
oldreloader

final result

I posted pics of my bench I built earlier. Since then I made some modifications. The Madame says she bets I stop now because it's about to the ceiling..LOL. I added a 4' florescent shop light overhead and a 2' under the shelf I added between the bench and top shelving. The powder measure and Lee Load All II are mounted on boards so I can put them up out of the way when not using them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000816.JPG (95.2 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg S5000820.JPG (95.5 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg S5000821.JPG (95.6 KB, 520 views)

Last edited by oldreloader; October 4, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old October 2, 2009, 09:12 AM   #232
BADZ06

It would be nice if you could edit previous posts. Anyway...here are updated pics of my loading bench / room.

I added two double florescent light fixtures that run across the ceiling. That really helped my lighting...it helped cut down on the shadows.

I also moved the progressive press to accommodate the case feeder. I mounted a single stage where the progressive used to be.

Boxes full of once fired LC brass waiting to be processed.

Old October 4, 2009, 01:01 PM   #233
KB8UBL

JIsabelle218

Yes, my loading bench is in the garage and although it gets a little warm in the summer the humidity is rarely a problem. To me low humidity is key to congruous powder metering. I do store large quantities of powder and primers in the garage and never had an issue with quality because of it. I prefer my loading area in my Arizona garage. Yes it's warm 3 months of the year but the balance of the year the weather is paradise and with the doors open I can enjoy it. Good luck with your bench construction, I look forward to seeing the photos.
Old October 4, 2009, 04:36 PM   #234
jsflagstad

I've got a Lee, I don't need no stinkin' mirror...LOL. No, just kidding, that is a neat setup....

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old October 7, 2009, 09:17 PM   #235
bro2

Work in progress. 2 Pieces of 3/4 plywood glued together and bolted to a Black and Decker workmate frame for portability. Just got the Lock-N-load mounted. Wadda Ya think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0130.jpg (228.5 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0131.jpg (224.5 KB, 519 views)
Old October 7, 2009, 09:42 PM   #236
Foxbat

Very nice, but I am sure you need to bolt it to the floor and back wall, or the whole thing will be moving. Have you tried it yet?
Old October 8, 2009, 07:40 PM   #237
gearheadpyro

Man Cave

Here's my little piece of heaven.

Extremely sturdy bench, lol.
Old October 11, 2009, 04:40 PM   #238
number2onmyshoe

Quote:
Work in progress. 2 Pieces of 3/4 plywood glued together and bolted to a Black and Decker workmate frame for portability. Just got the Lock-N-load mounted. Wadda Ya think?
I think that is actually ingenious! Those workmates are incredibly stable and it looks like you have a pretty large area to work with. Thanks for the idea, if I ever decide to build a portable setup that's probably what I'll go with!
Old October 11, 2009, 05:58 PM   #239
QBall45

My bench

It is not pretty. But it works for now. Someday I'll build a nice looking bench with everything neat & organized.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg reloading%20bench1.jpg (61.4 KB, 4902 views)
Old October 11, 2009, 06:21 PM   #240
bro2

Number2 . Thanks for the comment, The bench works quite well without bolting down or support. The ram of the press is actually mounted over the lower front foot piece that goes across the front legs. I mounted the top actually farther back where most of the weight is on the rear of the bench. I hope soon to mount a shelf on the rear to give more weight to the rear.
Old October 11, 2009, 06:47 PM   #241
TN Hillbilly

Quote:
Lovely! I too had a mirror put above the case feeder of my 1050 at some point (a regular one, didn't have a convex), when I put it up on a pedestal, for loading standing up. That machine is so tall that in that position I could not see anything - I can on the 650's.

The mirror gave me the view, but I still could not reach inside of it, so I ended up mounting the press BELOW the standard 32" bench - dropped it about 4".
A mirror above your reloader, sounds kinky. Now if I could get the wife to reload while she is wearing her french maid outfit
Old October 11, 2009, 07:18 PM   #242
Rangefinder

Bro2>>> That's the cadilac model compared to the one I had when I first posted on this thread---probably three years ago??? Mine was a free-standing 15"x15" oak cabnet that I had my press, powder, scale, and trimmer all bolted to each of the four sides, and just enough room right in the middle for a tray (Very tight living conditions at that time). I think there's a photo back on page two. When I was reloading, I'd just sit in my little gun closet and turn the cabnet for whichever step was next. If I can make that little rig function smooth, your set-up looks like it should work like a charm. Nice innovation! LOL

With a 24'x24' shop all to myself now, one whole corner is dedicated to my reloading---no photos yet though. Gawd, it's nice to have room to sprawl!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Last edited by Rangefinder; October 11, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:35 AM   #243
number2onmyshoe

Quote:
Number2 . Thanks for the comment, The bench works quite well without bolting down or support. The ram of the press is actually mounted over the lower front foot piece that goes across the front legs. I mounted the top actually farther back where most of the weight is on the rear of the bench. I hope soon to mount a shelf on the rear to give more weight to the rear.
bro2, do a google image search for reloading bench workmate, first image is one of a guy who did a setup on a workmate, there is a link to plans too, might give you some ideas for a shelf system....
Old October 12, 2009, 12:20 PM   #244
Claude Clay

one corner of my basement....

there's more, but if i cleaned it up for pictures id likely have trouble ever finding stuff again.

lots of nice work areas members here have created. ideas aplenty.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old October 12, 2009, 11:12 PM   #245
Lazy R

Here is my little corner of the basement.

Old October 14, 2009, 06:55 PM   #246
James R. Burke

Some really nice set up's. Gave myself some ideas. Again real nice!
Old October 15, 2009, 01:45 PM   #247
Lonely Raven

Rembrandt, I absolutely love your constantly evolving, and high tech room.

But please, do something with those walls!! The plywood look just seems so out of place when juxtaposed with your fine reloading bench!
Old October 15, 2009, 06:58 PM   #248
Rembrandt

It's coming, perhaps this winter.....ceramic tiled walls or brick.
Old October 16, 2009, 03:41 PM   #249
GLShooter

Here is where I spend most of my time. 35 years to accumulate all this and since my retirement it it so nice to go in and load when I have the urge. Experimenting and load development has gone way up the past two years.

The big bench is 11' and the small one is only 6" in length. Billets are stored under the short bench in an old shelving area from an entertainment area. The long bench has full length shelving with big plastic buckets/boxes to segregate brass.

A converted double closet is extra storage for various things like magazines, gear, primers etc. There is a big book case on one wall that acts as a holding point for the loaded ammo I have turned out with dedicated supplies for each firearm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reload Room #1.jpg (253.0 KB, 1051 views)
File Type: jpg Reload Room #3.jpg (248.6 KB, 740 views)
Old October 16, 2009, 03:54 PM   #250
Farmland

Why did I know your were a Dillon guy too.