The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 2011, 03:55 PM   #1
rkc

hammer dropping on a 1911

i have a rather nice but well used Commander, an old gun but new to me.
The trigger is pretty good at about 4 pounds. Pistols shoots fine, no
problem. But when I drop the slide on an empty chamber the hammer follows about half the time. I know that this is abuse and do not normally drop the slide on an empty chamber, but did so as a lark to test the trigger action.
A friends says that as long as it never follows on firing, this is SOP for some
light trigger actions. In fact it never follows during firing. Should I trust this pistol, after all it feeds, chambers, fires and ejects just fine. Never follows on firing or when allowing the slide to run down from full to the rear and simply releasing the slide lock.
Thanks for your input!!
Old December 18, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
nate45

First of all you shouldn't drop the slide on an empty chamber.

Does the hammer just drop to half cock?

Does it happen when you release the slide on a cartridge?
Old December 18, 2011, 04:17 PM   #3
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Back in the 50s while apprenticing I would do the shops 1911 work. I found that making some .45 ACPs without primers "safe loads" were the only way to check hammer fall with the slide. Some would put pressure on the side of the slide while pressing the slide release too slow the slide speed down. This was not good as well. Never,Never,Never, let the slide drop!
If you want I can make you some primer less loads.
As well the 45ACP was designed to shoot hard ball ammo so it needs to be tested with it as well.

Edward5759

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old December 18, 2011, 05:19 PM   #4
rkc

it falls only to half cock and only when dropped on an empty chamber, never when loading the gun
Old December 18, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
nate45

Its possible it could be the sear spring, but I'm not going to try to diagnose it over the internet. Take it to a smith.

However, as edward5759 and I stated 1911s should not have there slides released onto an empty chamber. Hold the slide in your hand, release the slide stop and ease it closed.
Old December 18, 2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Japle

Quote:
But when I drop the slide on an empty chamber the hammer follows about half the time. I know that this is abuse and do not normally drop the slide on an empty chamber.
That's right. It's abuse. Stop it!!
Old December 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #7
drail

With empty gun hold the trigger back all the way and cycle the slide fully 2 or 3 times. Does the hammer stay cocked? Lock the slide open and hold the trigger back all the way. Release the slide stop and let the slide close at full speed (use a dummy round fed from the mag if you have one). Does the hammer stay at full cock? (Don't drop the slide more than 2 or 3 times). Tell us what happens. It sounds like the sear spring needs more tension or there is a problem with the hammer/sear angles. Hammer falling to half cock is NOT SOP for a 1911. Something is wrong. Has anyone worked on the trigger pull?
Old December 18, 2011, 07:54 PM   #8
RickB

Each time the hammer drops to half-cock you risk damaging the sear, and that damage can make the hammer just that much more likely to fall again.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:05 PM   #9
rkc

here is what happens

when firing or when loading a dummy round the hammer NEVER falls to half cock. Only when the slide is dropped on an empty chamber. I KNOW this is abuse, but I only do it once to check for a too light trigger job or some problem when I pick up a used 1911. Now, my question is--- the problem never occurs when firing or when cycling a cartridge, only when dropped on an empty cartirdge. It this OK for a light trigger action or do I need to replace the sear spring/disconnect, etc?
Old December 18, 2011, 08:22 PM   #10
nate45

Like I said it sounds like the sear spring. You say its well used, put in a new sear spring and see what it does.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:25 PM   #11
nate45

I typed in 1911 sear spring into google and found the following video.

1911: Replacement and Adjustment of the Sear Spring - YouTube
Old December 19, 2011, 12:17 AM   #12
drail

Sear spring is too light or worn out or the trigger is bouncing into the disconnector/sear when the slide gets dropped and causing it to release the hammer or the sear angle has worn or was miscut to a negative angle relative to the hammer hooks. Holding the trigger back while the slide gets dropped eliminates trigger bounce as a problem (when you fire the gun your finger is still holding the trigger back as the slide cycles) When you drop the slide the trigger will bounce in the frame if not held to the rear and can bounce the sear out of the hammer. That is why I asked if anyone has done a trigger job on this gun. Is there an overtravel screw in the trigger? Have any other parts been changed recently? In any case it needs to be checked out by someone who understands 1911s. As you stated, dropping the slide on an empty chamber should only be done a couple of times to check for a problem. You have a problem so you don't need to drop the slide anymore. I wouldn't fire it with live ammo either until it is checked out. A 1911 going full auto is really not that much fun if you're not ready for it and can damage the gun. Are you dropping the slide while an empty case in the chamber? If so don't do that, it will trash the extractor because it will have to bend around the rim of the case instead of having the case come up under the extractor as designed.

Last edited by drail; December 19, 2011 at 12:25 AM.