The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Dave1911

CZ SP-01 and CZ 75B Sights

Are these slides cut the same? In other words can you buy a set of the readily available CZ 75B after market sights and "easily" install them in a full size SP-01.

On on that same note, are the Meprolight "factory" night sights the same height as the cheap factory sights.

I would like to get full size CZ75 pistol and add adjustable sights. I am looking at possibly going with an SP01 to match my P01. It looks like the current SP01s come with the night sights. I am then considering swapping out just the rear sight on the SP01 to one of the Fusion adjustable types. This would leave the stock Meprolight sight on the front with tactical black adjustable rear sight.

My intent is a range gun that can be tweaked for distances and ammo type. I already have a P01 with Meprolights for the other stuff. Thanks.

Last edited by Dave1911; August 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old August 30, 2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

You asked about heights. There are a couple of other issues that, while they may not affect you and this particular question, could affect others...

RE: dovetails.
I've been told that the dovetails at the rear are the same for all CZ 75B-based models. I've changed a bunch over the years, and that's been my experience. Pre-Bs can be different, and the older they are the more different they're likely to be. The oldest front sights, for example, are staked and don't fit in dovetails.

RE: the rib on the top of the slide.
There is a rib on the top of the slide with nearly all 75B models, and whether the rib of the top of the slide is cut away before or after the dovetail COULD matter, depending on the gun and the sight you're trying to mount.

The PCR, for example,has a Novak-like sight that sets/overhangs in front of the dovetail and not behind it. That sight won't work on other compact CZs unless part of the rib is cut down near the dovetail. If you install a sight from a different model in that dovetail, it'll work, but there'll be an unsightly gap in front of the sight, previously covered by the sight.

It's similr with the 85 Combat, which has an adjustable sight that overhangs the rear of the dovetail. The rib is cut away at the factory behind the dovetail. That sight may work on a standard 75B, but it can't be lowered as much as when it's installed on the 85 Combat. And if you use a non-adjustable sight, and might see an ugly spot on top of the slide behind the dovetail.

If the rib is intact before and after, any other sights should be fine.

Re: sight HEIGHT.
I have been told that the rear sight heights for the vary with full-size and compact guns -- compensating for different barrel lengths. I've swapped them between full-size and compact guns and never really noticed a difference in POI, and never bothered to measure the sights themselves. It may be that it makes a difference, so check with the sight maker... I suspect, however, if you're ordering sights for a full-size gun, and the makers says they're for a full-size gun, you'll be OK.

Where to get answers:
If you haven't already done so, you might want to spend some time on the CZ Forum. Note: while there is more than one out there, this one is the ORIGINAL, although another makes the claim. The folks who created the first CZ Forum on the web have been connected to this site below since that late '90s. Members of the CZ Custom Shop participate there, along with some very knowledgeable CZ owners.

http://www.czfirearms.us/

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 30, 2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old August 30, 2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Dave1911

Thanks
Old August 31, 2014, 11:46 AM   #4
chris in va

Most factory CZ rear sights are stamped with a number. You'll have to tap it out with a brass punch to find it at the bottom. I can attest that the sights on my 2003 75bd were a different number from the one on my P01.

I installed a HiViz fiber front sight on my P01, only to discover it now shoots lower as it is taller than the factory one. I just haven't got around to ordering the correct height Dawson yet.

And the weird thing about CZ, even the same model can have slightly different numbered sets from different vintages. I had the chance to try a 75b Polished stainless a few years ago and the factory rear sight was considerably lower than on my BD. Go figure.

As Walt said, the CZ Custom guys can hook you up but they'll probably ask what number your sight is just to be sure.
Old September 1, 2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Dave1911

I hear you. I have had some problems getting other sights to work with my P01. I am waiting for some Meprolight ML-17775 sights that claim to be the #4 height that is used on the P01s. My P01 does have a #4 rear sight.

I am very interested in getting a full size decocker CZ. And I am looking at the SP01 tactical instead of a 75BD because the SP01 tactical comes with usable sights. Only problem is finding the 10 round version to satisify the gd communist among us is a pia.
Old September 1, 2014, 06:52 PM   #6
mbott

Meprolight makes two sets of sights for CZs. ML17777 is for the CZ 75 Compact .40 (and CZ 75, 83 & 85) and the ML17775 is for the P-01. The ML17777 sights include the #5 rear sight and the ML17775 is the #4 rear sight. The SP01 Tactical comes with fixed night sights installed, which I believe is the #5.

--
Mike

Last edited by mbott; September 1, 2014 at 08:13 PM.