The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 4, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1
RubenX

Moving from Florida to Arkansas

Hello guys...

Probably not the right subforum but I;m kinda overwhelmed with the move and don't no where to get this info. I'm relocating this weekend from Florida to Arkansas... I'll drive through Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama. I'm pretty sure "peaceful travel" covers me through the trip. But once I reach Arkansas and starts unpacking, I'm not sure if I need any license just to keep my weapons at home. I have 3 rifles and a pocket pistol.

Any help will be appreciated.

I do not have a CCW.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

No licenses required to own or use firearms in Arkansas. We are a very gun tolerant and freedome enjoying state.
We do have a CCW law you can get later.
Come and enjoy.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
wogpotter

Having travelled to AR many times I don't think you'll have any kind of a problem, untill you mess up, which is easy to do, unless you read up on the actual laws.

AR IS very forgiving, but don't make the mistake of thinking there are no gun laws & its a kind of modern Dodge City on friday night with the cattle drive in town!

To go there, unpack & keep you'll have no problem at all. But if you do something unknowingly daft because of the informality you can get into trouble. I'd suggest completing the move, then talk to the local gunshop & take their advice, they live there & know the rules in detail.

You're probably going to adore AR, I know I do.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 4, 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Resources...

For travel & legal details...
See www.gunlawguide.com www.nra.org www.handgunlaw.us www.knifelawsonline.com .

ClydeFrog
Old May 5, 2013, 10:27 AM   #5
csmsss

Quote:
I'd suggest completing the move, then talk to the local gunshop & take their advice, they live there & know the rules in detail.
With all due respect, some of the worst advice and most absolutely wrongheaded "information" I've ever received has come from gun shop employees. Last I heard, a law degree is not a condition of employment at most gun shops. Frankly, he'd probably be just as well off taking advice from a used car dealer.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Vibe

There are more and more local CCW classes here in AR that are offering the out of state FLA. CCW license to AR residents because AR recognizes it and the fees are cheaper.

TFL Member #17104
Old May 5, 2013, 11:30 AM   #7
wogpotter

Maybe, the LGS wasn't the best suggestion, but the point was that there are some laws & its prudent to verify them before simply assuming there are no issues ever possible in an area you're not familiar with.

Clyde's link is probably going to be your best information source.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 6, 2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Take care man! We're gonna miss you over here. Good thing Arkansas is a gun friendly state. Enjoy and good luck.

Also, get yourself a permit.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Arkansas is a very gun-friendly state. We're shall issue and the only thing you need to keep 3 rifles and a pocket pistol at home is, well, space to put them in. No funky licenses, no permits, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. I live here, and I'm a lawyer.