The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Nathan

Wow! Powder in stock!

Went to the local gun shop and he had powder and some primers in stock. I bought 2 lbs of IMR SR4756.

Good days are coming!
Old February 9, 2013, 12:57 PM   #2
reynolds357

My gun shop has not been out of stock of anything since this whole "shortage" I read about on here supposedly started.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Nathan

He had like 5 kinds of IMR powders, CFE223 and a couple of Alliant powders. They even had large pistol primers..., but the primers were $50/1000! Powder was only Agee dollars high and not out of range for this shop!
Old February 9, 2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Mac Sidewinder

You are lucky reynolds, all the gun shops near me have shelves that look like they endured a Christmas sale rush. You're lucky if you see a wrapper and anything left. Times will get better though.

Mac
Old February 10, 2013, 01:09 AM   #5
USMC EOD

I've found some of my powders, but I have not seen a sign of IMR 4895 since this whole thing started.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:05 AM   #6
Kevin Rohrer

I stopped in to the only LGS in this area of the state, and was amazed at the LACK of components. There was no brass, few bullets, and almost no powder on the shelves. I have never seen this store with such depleted shelves.

Oh, and I will add that when I arrived, there were so many families entering the store, I had to check to make sure it wasn't a movie theatre instead of a gun store. The store was packed with people buying everything in sight. There was even a sign posted on the gun safes saying that there was a 120-days wait before orders could be filled due to the unprecedented demand for them.

Thank God I have plenty of everything I need, and know where there are smaller, less well known stores that have plenty of components in-stock.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 10, 2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

I have one LGS with components in stock. I also found Powder Valley has some Winchester and AA powders in stock again. Not everything but I will be enough for me to get by for the rest of the year. I'm glad I don't have to look for primers any more this year. Once I finish stocking up on bullets, I should be good. The folks at Powder Valley must be really backlogged. The estimated date of delivery for the powder I just ordered is in March.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Ted D

Stopped by the local Gander Mountain this morning nothing only defense ammo all the shelves had shotgun shells to look like they had stuff.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Magnum Mike

Powder will not take back orders as of 1/29. only in stock items.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
FloridaGuy

My gun shop has not been out of stock of anything except for maybe guns and .38 Special and .22LR ammo. The hand gun cases are looking a little bear. But they have been receiving AR 15 off and on. two weeks ago they received 56 and they were all gone in less then 24 hours. They seem to have all the components that I need. They are not even limiting the amount that you can purchase at one time.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been able to pickup enough components to load 10,000 rounds of ammo. Every week when I go to the range I pick up 1000 small pistol primers and 1000 large pistol primers just in case we see any shortage in this area.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

It is true Powder Valley won't take back orders for now. They will take orders for things in stock. The shipping date probably won't be less than a month. This is better than receiving nothing.