The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Drummer101

Possible CZ-82 Issues

I have a cz-82.

Shot it one range trip for about 100 rounds with no issues (seems to hit high to the left but I am thinking that might be me).

When I first got I noticed the safety does not engage when the hammer is down and I assumed that to be the way it works, but reading online leads me to think otherwise.

And the mag release is very stiff (I did not even think it was ambi at first it was so stiff).

Anyone have any ideas for a IWB holster? I am a very skinny guy (5' 11" 160lbs).

Has anyone tried or duracoated a pistol? The one I have is rather beat up (80%) and it more of a utility gun to me. I am kind of playing around with the idea.

Last edited by Drummer101; December 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2
KevK.

Hi, welcome to the CZ82 world.. lol

The Safety does not engage when the hammer is down. Only cocked and locked. There are a number of SA/DA pistols with a manual exterior safety that work that way.

The mag releases are rough. You can take apart the assembly for the spring and clean/lube the heck out of it. If you don't feel confident doing that, you can just add a bit more lube to it and see if that helps. It's not a problem with all CZ82s, but mine was a bear to deal with. I stripped down mag release and cleaned some gunk out of it. It helped, but still took some getting used to. If you feel confident I'll dig out a link or two breaking down the procedure to take the gun down that far.

Holsters are a bit harder to find. Some that fit the CZ83 will also fit the 82. For range carry I use the CZ82 surplus police holster. I live in THE non-CCW state, but I know a few guys who use a Remora for CCW carry.

I'm not 100% sure about duracoat, most of the ones I've seen have been cerekoted. They do look great and will look like a brand new firearm. I've seen a number that have been redone. With most of them being surplus they do have some wear and the original finish is just paint.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

For holsters, here you go
Old December 11, 2012, 05:02 AM   #4
ozarkrecluse

Here is mine. It's been duracoated.

Old December 11, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Billy Shears

Ozarkrecluse,

Wow. Good job on the Duracoat. Did you do that yourself? Very nice. And those grips are pretty special. Now I wish I hadn't sold my CZ-83. I suppose these pistols will start getting more scarce now that the 83 has been discontinued.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Drummer101

Thanks for the tips on the holster. I did see that thread in my searches but was unsure how generic the fit was.

And it is good to know about the safety, I was unsure.

And in regards to the duracoat I dont think I will do it. To many chips to make it look really good I think. But I do like those grips...