The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
spitznagel

.223 reloading for ar15

hey guys, I've got some 60gr nosler ballistic tips that have a cannelure. By the time I insert the bullet and push it in to the max overall length, the cannelure has already disappeared. Is this acceptable? Or does some portion of the knurl have to be at the case mouth?

I'm completely new to reloading, manuals are on the way, and im only doing this by hand, no powder, no primer, just as a dry run.

Thanks
Old February 9, 2013, 09:09 AM   #2
chris in va

The cannelure is really just there if you decide to crimp the case onto the bullet. It won't hurt anything if it doesn't line up.

Keep in mind, you need to trim your cases to length, and load the bullet so it clears your magazine and chambers properly. Max OAL is just that, the maximum listed for that bullet type.

The other guys can comment in more detail, that's about all I know having loaded a few thousand.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
overthere

What length did you trim your brass to and what is the OAL that you are aiming for?

You can go with a longer OAL as long as the cartridge ends up long enough to where it will fit in the magazine and feed reliably.

For example, if the OAL in your load data says 2.220 you can make the length 2.240 without issues since reducing the seating depth will reduce pressures. However if you are already at 2.260 you might have problems fitting them in your magazine if you make them any longer.

All of the above only makes a difference if you wish to crimp to the cannelure. If you are not planning on crimping to the cannelure it makes no difference if it lines up with the case mouth or not, though if the load data you have is specifically for the Nosler bullet you are using it seems odd it would not provide an OAL that lines up with the cannelure with properly trimmed brass.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
steve4102

Quote:
I've got some 60gr nosler ballistic tips that have a cannelure. By the time I insert the bullet and push it in to the max overall length, the cannelure has already disappeared.
It would be helpful and you will get more accurate replies if you use actual numbers when referring to things like "Overall Length".

What do you mean by "max overall length" use numbers please?

For example the "max overall Length" for the 223/5.56 is 2.260 inches. The is Max because 2.260 is the longest round that will fit into the mag.

Last edited by steve4102; February 9, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:21 AM   #5
ATPBULLETS

The max that fits in the mag may still not feed properly...
Be sure and fire a few to make sure before you reload a bunch.