The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
hhamade

<Solved> Rounds Jamming?

I am REALLY NEW to reloading. I loaded my first 9 rounds the other day. I went to the range today and was going to shoot those rounds to see how they did. But, when i attempted to chamber them in my bolt action, they hung for a sec trying to chamber them, then i had a hard time locking the bolt. As I was concerned about this I didn't fire them. Then I had difficulty getting the bolt back open. I loaded to the correct OAL according to the speer manual, also trimmed cases to the correct length. The rounds are slightly longer then the box set i bought. Also, the box set is crimped were mine are not. Could this be a issue with lack of crimp? any help would be nice. Also, would it be a bad idea to "pull the trigger" on these, or do i need to fix the feeding issue first? I like my face and fingers, and don't wanna risk them over a little bit of time to fix them if need be.

Last edited by hhamade; February 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Solved
Old February 9, 2013, 09:57 PM   #2
overthere

You need to provide a lot more information such as:

- Caliber you are reloading
- Powder you are using and charge you loaded
- Bullet manufacture and weight
- COAL you loaded (the total length of the loaded cartridge)
- Knowing what type of brass and whether new or already fired would not hurt

Would also be good to know what type of press and dies you used.

There is very little information in your post making it difficult to answer your question.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:02 PM   #3
dacaur

^^ that^^

Did you size the cases, or just assume they were sized from the factory?

If you did size them, did you follow to the letter the die adjustment procedure, then try an empty case in your gun?
Old February 10, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
hhamade

30-06 Brass. It was all once fired brass. I picked up my brass after firing some factory box rounds. I did resize to ASMII recommended starting length. 168 Grain bullet seated to max OAL according to Spear, <3.295>, using Win 760 52gr. The bullet is a 168gr Remington Cor-Lokt PSP. Like I said, I am yet to fire the reloads, more concerned with the rounds not chambering smoothly. I am not seeing where the bullet is getting scraped by the barrel, so I don't think its sticking out to far, but I am the one asking the questions.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
PA-Joe

Where you using Speer bullets? Each bullet maker and style of bullet has its own AOL. I think the bullets were too long and hanging up in the barrel.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:13 AM   #6
hhamade

ok, I can try reseatting them to match the factory remington rounds. I will get back with you.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:24 AM   #7
hhamade

Reseated to 3.260 COAL, they now chamber and unchamber like butter. Thanks for the help guys.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
mikld

See if one of your sized cases will chamber easily...
Old February 10, 2013, 02:41 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

Sounds like you are lucky you did not fire those rounds. The bullet was actualy touching the lands. The pressure created from that can be damaging.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #10
dacaur

Quote:
168 Grain bullet seated to max OAL according to Spear, <3.295>,
Yea that's definitely an issue... My hornady manual doesn't have an OAL for ANY bullet longer than 3.220...... But beyond that, the data you looked at was for a speer bullet, and you used a remington bullet, not a crime in itself, but if you are doing a bullet substitution, you should ALWAYS look at multiple sources and compare. If possible find a bullet that closly matches 9in shape and construction) what you are using. The rem cor-lokt is pretty similar to a hornady #3040 soft point, which in my hornady manual has a COL of 3.210.....

As you found, if the bullets your data is made for have a long ogiv, and the bulles you use have a short ogive, you will run into problems....

I am curious where you got your data.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:19 AM   #11
david_r

He got his data from SPEER. Except it seems he's below starting load from Speer and also from Hogdon.

OP, You might go back to your Speer manual and note they state, "COL tested at." That doesn't mean it will work (as you've found out) or be the desirable length for a particular gun. For any rifle, you should determine at what COL a specific bullet touches the lands and reduce your COL below that by some amount you decide is best. The Speer manual really muddies the water on this. I assume it hasn't changed much. But in the bullet seating section, they do tell you how to make a dummy round to find out how deep a specific bullet needs to be seated to get it off the lands.

It's also a good idea to look at something comparable in the manual. That bullet is used in all sorts of different cartridges so it is easy to look at another 30 caliber cartridge and see how the OAL changes between weights. In my Speer manual, by comparing 308 to 30-06, I see an aberration with the 30-06 COL for both the 168 BT HP and the 150 BT FMJ. Red flag and time to see if there is a typo or if they used some oddball rifle for their testing.