The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
smokiniron

Berry's Bullets

Is there a thread discussing Berry's Bullets? I'm looking to reload .45 ACP, 9mm, and maybe rifle bullets in 30-06 and 30-30 for plinking, target, load work-up, and maybe 'just to have on-hand'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Smokiniron
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old February 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
LE-28

There is proabably several hundred of them, go to the search at the dark blue bar on top of this page and type in Berry's then click the go button beside it.

I use Berry's plated bullets for 95% of my shooting, very pleased with them.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
smokiniron

Excellent! Thanks!
Old February 7, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Fire_Moose

They are great bullets. Good luck finding some right now. Box stores and the big reloading online stored might get some but Berry's had stopped taking orders for the time being.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Old February 7, 2013, 07:43 PM   #5
shootniron

I don't use them but have seen a lot of positive reviews of them.

But, as stated, probably pretty hard to find now.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
notlikeyou

@Fire_Moose Cabela's has some in stock at the moment sans 9mm
Old February 7, 2013, 10:34 PM   #7
armoredman

I use Berry's a LOT, great stuff - the Hollow Base Round Nose Thick Plate in 9mm are the best I've used in quite some time, and can be driven to normal jacketed velocities. I also use their excellent 125 grain plated bullets for 7.62x39mm with great results.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
907arcticcat

My favorite for plated bullets and I've shot thousands of them, but currently you can buy jacketed bullets cheaper at Precision Delta, Montana Gold or Zero. Most everything is backordered, but IMO plated companies are pricing themselves out of the market!
Old February 7, 2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Canned Heat

They are backed up

Just went by their site and they are saying current orders 6 to 8 months out, and not taking any new orders till they catch up.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Ozzieman

First off, I’m a lead bullet fan and didn’t see the need for plated bullets. But hearing all the good things about them I ordered a couple of thousand before the CRASZZZZZY’s came to town.
All I bought were 44, 240 GR. They load nicely but you need to be careful on the crimp. You can deform the bullet if you over crimp. When they arrived they were very clean and the weights were amazingly consistent.
I was only pushing them to 850 FPS (est) and they proved to be a good plinking round. They are not as accurate as Penn’s wadcutter out of the 3 guns that I tried them in but they were acceptable. The load I was using was the same I worked up for the Penn bullet more than 10 years ago so with some work they might be better.
I will be buying more in the future since several of the indoor ranges in my city no longer allow lead to be shot. Berry’s makes a very good product.
http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:44 AM   #11
bamiller

I currently reload only 9mm and .45 ACP. Used to use Precision Delta and have switched to Berry's. Happy with them thus far.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:06 AM   #12
907arcticcat

I'm curious why you switched from a cheaper priced jacketed bullet to a plated bullet where you don't have the option to drive them as fast and have to watch your crimp? Bullet quality and/or accuracy?
Old February 9, 2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Ozzieman

I'm curious why you switched from a cheaper priced jacketed

Since I use the 44 bullets in 44 specials, velocity is not an issue. The other reason is that Berry's is a soft hollow point that has a good chance working better at slower velocities than jacketed bullets do. And Berry’s are a lot cheaper than quality jacketed.
I was impressed by the expansion into wet a wet phone book at less than 800 fps out of a charter arms bulldog. (not the best medium)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Sevens

I use tens of thousands of them in .380, 9mm, .38 Special, light .357 Mag, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45 Auto and a few in .45 Colt.

I've used many in .30 Carbine.
My buddy has had good luck with them in .500 S&W Magnum.

As far as I know, they don't make a bullet that would be appropriate for .30-06 unless you were talking about a very light load.

I don't use them in 10mm or full bore .357 Magnum loads. The slug I use in .38 Super is their thick-plate and the .30 Carbine bullet is rated to like 1,900+ fps and I use then in a .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

I've even use a few of their teeny 71gr plated .312" slug in .327 Federal, but with a very light charge.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Mac Sidewinder

I also love Berry's in 9mm, .38 and .357. I have loaded thousands of them. Berry's have a thicker plating on them than other manufacturers which even let you run their thick plated (TP) bullets up to 1400fps.

My favorites are the 124gr HBRNTP (Hollow base round nose thick plated) in 9mm, and the 158gr for .38 and light .357 use. If I want a full magnum then I stick with jacketed.

Mac
Old February 9, 2013, 07:01 PM   #16
smokiniron

Sevens....

Quote:
As far as I know, they don't make a bullet that would be appropriate for .30-06 unless you were talking about a very light load.
I can't see their catalog at the moment due to the backlog. That said, I've thought about downloading my '06 for 110-125 gr higher velocity rounds for some varmiting... coyotes, etc.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:04 PM   #17
smokiniron

SIdewinder....

Quote:
My favorites are the 124gr HBRNTP (Hollow base round nose thick plated) in 9mm,
That's kinda' what I'd like to get for my 9mm. I understand that the hollow base is a bit longer at a given weight, so is a bit more stable down the tube.

Possibly true?
Old February 9, 2013, 08:57 PM   #18
Sevens

Quote:
That said, I've thought about downloading my '06 for 110-125 gr higher velocity rounds for some varmiting... coyotes, etc.
Plated bullets have an ultra-thin copper plating, fractionally as thick as a jacket. The idea is that they are NOT meant for speed. Using a lighter bullet in .30-06 would be asking for more velocity.

If you can concoct a .30-06 load with a 110 grain bullet that stays under 2,000 FPS, then sure -- give the carbine bullet a try.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:17 AM   #19
smokiniron

^^^ Sevens... good reminder on the speed limits. Thanks.