The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2000, 08:24 PM   #1
Scratch

I need some help working up a load. The last time I did this it was a disaster. This is for an AR. The various loads I made shot 4 to 5 inch groups. The rifle shoots 3/4" groups with factory ammo.
I need help with the proceedures and where to start.
This time I'll be using AA2200 and Winchester PSP bullets (I bought a few thousand). Later I will do the same using a Vmax 55 grain. The manual list 23.5 as max for a 55 grain bullet. Where do I start (grain wise)and at what increments do I move up?
Thanks for the help
Scratch
Old January 20, 2000, 09:25 PM   #2
swifter...

Reduce by about 10%, I usually work up in 0.5 gr increments, with a small case, when I get up to about 1.0 gr of max, I'd use 0.2 gr increments.

Beg or borrow a chronograph, chrono the factory stuff that shoots good, and try to match that velocity with your loads.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old January 21, 2000, 02:46 PM   #3
flatlander

Scratch: First off, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless Winchester has changed their 55grPSP's, you're not going to be real happy with them. I found that in a 1/7 twist Colt HBAR, they sometimes blew up before getting to my target at 100yds. Other times, they'd land 10 feet or more away from the target. They have a thin jacket, I guess, and won't stand velocity much over 2800fps in a fast twist barrel. AA2200 is a fast powder for the 223, and will get twitchy as you begin to reach max pressure levels. Lots of guys have had good results with it in AR's, it's just that you need to really watch it as you work up your loads. Actually, the WW55PSP/AA2200 combination might be a very good one. If the bullets still need to be shot at limited velocity, AA2200 will do that just as well, if not better, than some of the slower powders. I'd try 21grs. to start, just to see how those bullets do. I've had much better accuracy with Rem.55grHP's in my AR's, and if you want better accuracy still, go with one of the Hornady or Sierra match grade bullets.
Old January 21, 2000, 06:14 PM   #4
Scratch

Flatlander
I'm shooting a 1-9 twist. I hope that the bullets don't come apart on me. I've shot a few that i just put together and they seemed alright. I just hope I can get some accuracy from them. I've got two thousand of them!
I'm glad to hear about the Remington HP being good. I just ordered two hundred from Midway (should be here today).
How do you think the match bullets you mentioned would do in a 1-9 twist? I thought they were only for 1-8 or 1-7.
BTW the good groups I was getting with this rifle were cheap, gun show FMJ reloads. I hope that I can at least get that from my own reloads.
Thanks
Scratch
Old January 23, 2000, 12:12 AM   #5
MontaniSemperLiberi

The Sierra 69 MK's will work fine in your 1/9 twist barrel and hold quite accurately out to the 300 yd line, but not much after that. I could be mistaken, but I believe the Sierra box states that the 69 MK are to be used in twists of 7-10. The twists of 7 or 8 applies to the Sierra 80 grain MK's.
As for those 55 gr. bullets not holding any respectable group, try dropping the charge a bit and seat the bullet to where it just does function in the mag. Remember, the bullets you are loading will vary in length considerably, so you will have to find a happy medium or you will hang up on the forward inner surface of the mag. Use your caliper and measure 10 or so of the bullets and you will probably be suprised to the variance in lenth of the bullet. Just a suggestion and good luck.