The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 23, 2000, 02:59 PM   #1
PJ11B3VF7

Folks I just picked up an HK P7M8. Can any of you offer suggestions on holsters and their manufacterers.

Also, can you suggest night sights for my latest aquisition? I really like Meps, which I have on the majority of my handguns, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old September 23, 2000, 04:11 PM   #2
jawper

PJ11B3VF7,

1) Congrats on your purchase. I think you will be most pleased with the P7M8.

2) Personally, I am of the opinion that the CQC/S holster from Lou Alessi is unbeatable for P7 CC. It was the best $90 I've ever spent on a holster. Lou's product quality cannot be beat (from what I hear there are a few makes out there who match the quality of his stuff - Sparks for example) and his personal service is amazing. My CQC/S works for carry in and out of a car, with minimal covering garment, basically anywhere/anyway. Note that you can e-mail Lou directly if you have a question or a special request. The URL http://www.alessiholster.com/ takes you to a site which distributes Alessi's stuff - and where you can see a picture of the CQC/S. They seem to be a good organization and I was happy with my order from them. On the other hand, you can order directly from Lou just by sending him an e-mail. I've done it both ways and both worked. If it matters, ordering direct from Lou saved me about $5.

3) The night sights on mine are Trijicons and I am very pleased with them. Sorry, no help on the Meps.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper
Old September 23, 2000, 05:34 PM   #3
wildboarZ

I second the recommendation for the Alessi CQC/S for the P7.

As far as the Trijicon vs Meprolight debate goes, the only real difference between the two is that the output from the Trijicons is a bit more focused - they are both equally bright. Quality and durability of the two are equal.
Old September 23, 2000, 05:58 PM   #4
Clarence8

PJ11B3VF7,

I have a Galco Silhouette, really like it, I've never used any Alessi's, but at least look at Galco's, it was around 50 bucks.

I like my Meps on mine, but sounds like you allready know alot about them. I'd go ahead and get the Trijicons simply because you don't have them. You can bet you'll like them too. Then you'll have them to compare to the Meps for future purchases
Old September 24, 2000, 09:42 AM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

Gentlmen, thank you all very much for your suggestions.
Old September 24, 2000, 04:36 PM   #6
Gary H

Sawbones is the resident holster expert for this gun. Also, look at this board:
http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/cg...assCookie=true

I have MMC adjustable with the box rear. I really like this setup. Have same sight on my Glock 21.
Old September 24, 2000, 10:30 PM   #7
SAWBONES

I make no claim to expertise, just 15 years' experience and lots of $$$ spent!

There are LOTS of leather-trade folks who will be glad to TRY to make you a holster for your P7M8. Many of them prove themselves to be at the Journeyman level when it comes to making a functional, comfortable, well-balanced holster for this butt-heavy, short-framed gun. I've tried 'em ALL, or at least all who were in business between 15 and about 3 years ago, since which time I've found no reason to look further, though I do keep an open mind, and try new things from time to time. (I'm aware of a number of newer makers on the scene, from Bullman to Tauris, whose work I haven't tried. I also have never had a holster from Andy Artoonian, since he won't make left-handed holsters!) There are three makers whose holster work for this gun deserves to be considered at Master level, namely:
Lou Alessi (my favorite for everything, too bad he doesn't have his own website yet, check www.alessiholsters.com for RF Hunting's distributorship)
Matt Del Fatti (http://www.delfatti.com/)
Ken Null (http://www.klnullholsters.com/)

Each of these folks can make excellently-balanced holsters for the P7 that are comfortable, concealable, and accessible. Their designs are all slightly different, including angles of cant (rake). If you know something about how and where you'd like to wear your P7, I can make further suggestions.

About sights; H&K can replace your plastic dot-cylinders with tritium capsules, or T. Mark Graham at ARS (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/) will insert the appropriate-length Trijicon cylinders for your particular sight base (there are three different lengths). I'd recommend keeping the stock sights and replacing the plastic dots. Adjustable sights for the P7 have recently become available from MMC (http://www.mmcsight.com/), but fixed sights are best for a CCW gun, and I find H&K's particular choice of rear sight width relative to front sight width on this gun to give one of the best "combat" sight pictures available. Best.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Old September 25, 2000, 10:47 AM   #8
Gary H

Sawbones appearance is much like rubbing the lamp and the genie appearing.

The MMC sights are as carry friendly as physically possible. I have always found my Glock sights to be the easiest to use quickly. That was my real attraction to MMC. They have many sight formats. I selected the one that I prefer. For those of you that prefer three dot, this is of little value. I put MMC night sights on my Glock, P7 and my 870.
Old September 25, 2000, 06:37 PM   #9
PJ11B3VF7

Thanks for your help y'all, especially Jawper and Sawbones.

It's nice to see people willing to share their knowledge.