The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 20, 2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Jack19

Holster drying out gun?

I just bought a Beretta 92 that I'm now using for my carry gun and I've ordered a couple holsters from one of the major makers.

In the mean time, I bought a Don Hume IWB for general carry until the other holsters arrive. This afternoon, when I got home, I noticed that in places where the slide touches the inside of the holster, there was less oil and the slide seemed "dry."

Is there a way to reduce or prevent this? A light spray of CLP inside the holster maybe? Or, do I just keep oiling the pistol?

Just wondering.
Old August 20, 2001, 04:58 PM   #2
Jim V

A dab of Rusty Sherrick's HYDE GLYDE on the inside of the holster, http://www.c-rusty.com will condition the leather.
Old August 20, 2001, 05:18 PM   #3
don't shoot it's me

don Hume has some good prices...how do you like the holster? It seems we are all conditioned to spend 60-100 bucks or we aren't getting anything good...his website seems like quality stuff.....what do you think?
Old August 20, 2001, 05:55 PM   #4
Jack19

Don't, personally, I think Don Hume holsters are the best kept secret around.

While the inside of the holster is not lined, and is a bit rough, I think that for the money, Don Hume holsters are the most comfortable around. The belt clip is strong and does not pull away with the draw and, they seem to be properly fitted so the weapon will draw without dragging the holster.

I've used several Don Hume's over the years when I was waiting for more expensive holsters to show up. With the exception of Milt Sparks (which always fit like a glove), I've thought that Hume's were sometimes MUCH more comfortable, and sometimes more functional, than some of the major brands.
Old August 22, 2001, 05:58 PM   #5
don't shoot it's me

Thanks, Jack, I have a delfatti isp-3 for my P7 but my budget only allows one 80 dollar holster...it is a work of art but I don't need a work of art for all my holster needs....I think I'll give Hume a try for my 442....no need to spend more than 30 bucks for a 15 ounce gun.....