The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 7, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
headbangerJD

m4 type shotgun sights

I am looking to upgrade my Remington 870 with some new sights. I've fell in love with the M4 type iron sights, but cannot seem to find them anywhere for purchase that are made to fit a shotgun. Where can I purchase these sights? Here is a link with the type of sights i'm talking about, although on a different shotgun
<http://www.gundealeronline.com/FN-Herstal-7-1-Round-Tactical-Police-12-Ga-w-18-p/17705.htm>

Thanks for the help,

Jd
Old April 8, 2010, 04:06 AM   #2
zippy13

IMHO, a shotgun is best fitted with a rib and dual beads. Unless it's to be used as a rifle with slugs or buck shot. In which case iron or optical rifle sights are appropriate. In HD situations the shotgun is quickly pointed, not aimed, and elaborate sights are superfluous.

That being said, let's see what what we can do…
It seems you wish to duplicate the sights on the current M16A4 rile and the M4/M4A1 carbine. These units utilize the old adjustable square post front sight introduced on the M16A2 and the flat-top receiver has a Picatinny rail for the attachment of optical sights or other aiming devices. So, your mission is three fold: mount an A2 type front sight, mount a rail on top of the receiver and select an appropriate device as the rear rail rider. Also, for the M4/M4A1 look, a telescoping stock is appropriate.

A correct looking A2 front sight is the key to your project. I'm not aware of a direct fit for the 870; but, Brownells has rail mounted A2 type front and rear sights. So, next you must decide what kind of rail system you want: a receiver rail and a front rail, or one continuous rail -- the choice is yours. Once you get the rail/s installed and the A2 clamped on up front, it's just a matter of providing a rear sight to suit your needs that's appropriate to the M16A4/M4/M4A1 modular system. It's a simple choice:

graphic courtesy of mfingar
Old April 8, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
zippy13

Peteruagusts, perhaps "M4" is misleading. The OP is after the flat-top AR look. If you go to the URL the OP provided you'll see what he has in mind. It's like this

image: expertoutfitters
but includes a halo sight in addition to the A2-type clamp on. It's not my cup of tea; but, if it was, I'd just get the gun in question without trying to modify a R-870.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4
GeauxTide

I had XS installed on mine. Really like them.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:38 AM   #5
zippy13

GeauxTide, is your front sight on a rail, soldered on, or…?
Old April 8, 2010, 02:01 PM   #6
balazona

Can an M4 rear sight be used on Mossberg 930 SPX LPA front sight?
Old April 8, 2010, 05:21 PM   #7
zippy13

balazona, if by "M4" you mean the traditional A2-type rear that can be used on the M16A4/M4/M4A1's flat-top rail, the answer is yes. That's the beauty of the Picatinny rail system, a wide variety of sighting and other accessories can be rail mounted. The typical A2 rear sight is knob adjustable for windage and elevation and toggles between ghost ring and peep apertures. Here are three of the A2-type units that Brownells offers:

What I don't know: Is the height of the factory Mossberg front sight compatible with an A2 rear (which seem a lot higher than the Mossberg clamp-on because of the elevation adjustment knobs). Mossberg calls the front sight a "M16-type," but it's a fiber optic unit that's not adjustable for height. This may mean, without getting a taller blade, changing to the A2 rear may cause the gun to shoot higher than the point of aim. Another point to ponder: will the change in sight height significantly alter stock fit? If your Mossberg stock seems too high for you, a change to the A2 may be just what you need.
I hope this answers your question.
Old April 11, 2010, 11:22 PM   #8
balazona

@zippy13,
thank you for the detail reply.