The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 7, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
corvairkid64

CZ Shotgun Quality

Any opinions on the quality of CZ shotguns? More specifically the Mallard O/U?
Old April 7, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2
beardenbc

Supposed to be really good.
Never personally shot them, I've just read a few reviews and handled a couple in the store. I've officially fallen in love with the Ringneck.
Old April 7, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Scorch

CZ shotguns are well-made and beautifully finished. I read about a few issues with the firing pins in their S/S, but nothing about any issues with the O/U.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:55 PM   #4
natman

They are made in Turkey by Huglu. They are priced above the Mossberg Silver Reserve, the Stoger Condor or Baikal shotguns and are better quality. They are less than Browning, Franchi or Beretta doubles but are not as well made.

They are the least expensive (regularly priced) double shotgun I would consider owning.
Old April 7, 2010, 01:46 PM   #5
BigJimP

The quality is "marginal" at best ....on guns I've seen coming out of Turkey from Huglu and the others ...

I think its fair to say -- that maybe 4 or 5 of 10 guns coming out of there will be just fine ....the problem is how you can tell by looking at them (and you can't) ....

I think you have to ask yourself if the entry level O/U's from Browning and Beretta are in the $ 1,500 price range ....what corners are these mfg's cutting to get their guns to sell for under $ 1,000 in some cases ...(and it isn't all in wood ) ... it has to be in quality of steel, quality of trueness of the barrels, durability of ribs, firing pins, hinges and connections between receiver and barrels ...etc .....

What I can tell you is that the entry level Brownings and Berettas will last for 25,000 shells easily ( maybe 50,000 or more ) without any issues / and almost any decent gun smith will be able to get parts and fix any of their models ....and 25 yrs from now / if you want to sell them ....they may very well be worth used, about the same as what you paid for them new ... and nothing coming out of Turkey ( as I see it now ) will even be close to meeting those expectations ..., in my opinion.
Old April 7, 2010, 01:51 PM   #6
corvairkid64

Thanks Big Jim and everyone else.... I'm thinking now that used is the way to go in my current price range.
This is all very helpful.
Ken
Old April 7, 2010, 02:23 PM   #7
dgludwig

Look for a used Ruger Red Label in good condition. Nice, well-made shotguns that are a "best buy" imo.
Old April 7, 2010, 02:53 PM   #8
BigJimP

I responsded to another thread ...on same issue ...

but a few months ago, I found a Browning Citori, Lightning model, 28" barrels, 12ga - and it had the old style Invector screw in chokes for around $ 750. It had a few nicks in the stock ...but I'll sand those out and refinish it when I have time ... New that gun is retailing for around $ 1,750 these days. In 1988, I bought myself one - and paid about $ 750 for it new ( and still have it ). Its not the Citori model I shoot myself these days / because I realize it never fit me right ( too much drop at comb ) - so I shoot the Browning Citori XS Skeet models, with 30" barrels and an adjustable comb for hunting birds, Skeet and Sporting clays .....

But it was a good buy for a good used gun / that I'll clean up and put away for one of my 10 grandkids ...someday ...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=461

This is the gun I shoot myself ...because it fits better / and I recommend it because it will fit a lot of shooters right out of the box because of the adj comb. Looking for a used XS Skeet is a good plan too / but new they are around $3,000 now - and used about $ 2,000 - $2,500 now ...but a great option, in my opinion.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=066

I like the XS Skeet model so much --- I bought them in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 ...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1256245028

There are a lot of good used guns out there ...and buying used will always save you some money / but try and get a buddy or a mentor to help you out and wade thru the stuff you don't want ...and find a good one.

Beretta makes good solid guns / I don't own them because they don't "fit" me. In general, you will find if a Browning fits you / a Beretta will not --- an vice versa ... Don't let me, or anyone else, overinfluence you on one brand of gun ....we all shoot what fits us personally / buy what we think is the strongest guns ( for me that is Browning ) ... I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs with big hands ...and I like heavier / high comb guns ....

Rugers are not bad guns / but their quality has gone down in recent years. An older one might be a great find. I would also stay away from guns that don't have screw in chokes(regardless of who made them). You can add them - but its usually more than you want to spend to have it done right ...and if its done wrong ...the barrels are ruined. New barrels will often cost you more than a new gun...

Good luck / and no matter what --- have fun with the search.

Go to your local club / rent some guns if you can .....and talk to guys / ask them what they bought, why, would they buy it again. Many guys will help you out / maybe let you put some shells thru one of their guns. Most of us that are into Target shooting - have 20 or 30 shotguns ... and bringing something out for a guy to try is not a big deal. I have a number of guns I keep around to help train new shooters, kids, grandkids, etc ( I never sell anything ..) ...
Old April 8, 2010, 07:48 AM   #9
rbernie

Quote:
So from this we can said that they are providing a good quality products.
No, you can't.

You *can* say that they are willing to fix their products for a specified period when they break. From that, you can infer that either they can do so due to low cost of product manufacture (high margin) or due to low frequency of breakage. You cannot infer which of those two cost factors are the more significant in their business model.

I have handled their shotguns (being a CZ pistol kinda guy) and they seem nice. However, when I can get a used Citori for the price of a new Huglu, I'll take the Citori.

If I want a cheap O/U for occasional use, I'll buy a Yildiz. If I'm gonna use it more than occasionally, then I'll buy a shotgun that I know can take the useage.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:17 AM   #10
oletymer

CZ is finally getting shotguns made by BRNO. These are good shotguns, the Turkish guns are not good.