The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 8, 2014, 11:11 PM   #1
SteveP91

Breech loading.223

Hey guys! Looking for a bolt rifle chambered in .223 that breech loads. Gonna start saving up to buy something in the spring. The reasoning of this is I have an ar15 and love it. I have a lot of ammo in .233 (not 5.56) and would like a bolt rifle that shoots the same. The breech load is because I love loading my mosin and sks like this. It's just fun to me and a little different to see at the range. it would mainly be a range toy, but we have some targets on my uncle's farm that vary in range out to 500 yards and it's always fun to shoot. Preferably under $800 for the rifle. Thanks for any help!

I'm sorry to be vague. I was talking about a rifle that has a non detachable mag that loads from the breech, like the Mosin Nagant

Last edited by SteveP91; October 9, 2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old October 8, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2
taylorce1

Well technically all modern firearms breech load so you shouldn't have a problem there. Both your Mosin and SKS are magazine fed so the question is do you want a rifle that you load through the bolt action or do you want to remove the magazine to load the rifle.

The Remington 700, Zastava Mini Mauser, Savage 10, and Ruger Hawkeye all have .223 models that can be loaded through an open bolt. Savage Axis, Ruger American, Tikka, and CZ are models with a removable magazine, however the CZ can be loaded through the open bolt as a single shot pretty easily. The way the action is made on the Axis, American, and Tikka with a small ejection port you're better off to only load through the magazine.

If you want to try your hand at long range .223 shooting you should get the Ruger American or Tikka rifles. Both of these have 1 in 8 twist barrels which will allow you to shoot 75 grain bullets. These will be better for long range out to 600 yards and beyond. Plus both rifles fit your $800 budget quite nicely.
Old October 9, 2014, 04:01 AM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

Still waiting on the other channel for you to define what you mean by "breech load".
All cartridge-firing boltguns are breechloaders.
Denis
Old October 9, 2014, 07:35 AM   #4
Doyle

Could the OP possibly be talking about loading a blind box magazine through the open bolt when he is saying "breech loading"?
Old October 9, 2014, 07:46 AM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
Could the OP possibly be talking about loading a blind box magazine through the open bolt when he is saying "breech loading"?
That's my guess ...... push feed vs. controlled round feed, right?

You can drop a cartridge into both a mosin or an SKS and close the bolt. Mauser style actions must feed from the magazine- the claw extractor is not meant to snap over the case rim.
Old October 9, 2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Mobuck

HUH???
I didn't know a 223 could be loaded any other way.
Old October 9, 2014, 07:56 AM   #7
mete

The Kimber Montana 223 is a bolt action, blind magazine, stainless steel with synthetic stock.
Old October 9, 2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
I didn't know a 223 could be loaded any other way.
Well, the OP says he has an AR15 which loads only via a detachable magazine. That's why I'm thinking he is meaning loading a blind box magazine as opposed to a bolt-action with a drop-down magazine.
Old October 9, 2014, 08:32 AM   #9
SteveP91

My definition of breech loading must be different. I was wondering what would be a good rifle that is chambered in .223 that has a non detachable magazine that loads from the breech (like the Mosin Nagant, or its semi auto comrade, the sks). Thank you for correcting my definition of breech loading.
Old October 9, 2014, 08:50 AM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
My definition of breech loading must be different.
"Breech loading" ..... opposite of "muzzle loading": loaded from the breech end of the barrel.

That's the thing about definitions- they are definite. We can't all just have our own definition, or the meaning becomes ...... indefinite?

Can you describe for us what you want to be able to do with this rifle?

I have bolt guns with non-detachable magazines that must feed from the magazine, and bolt guns that you can just drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt ....... is this what you are getting at?
Old October 9, 2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Bozz10mm

Example of a breech loader:

http://www.micksguns.com/antique%20guns.htm
Old October 9, 2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
I was wondering what would be a good rifle that is chambered in .223 that has a non detachable magazine that loads from the breech
Exactly what I thought. What you are describing is called a "blind box magazine".

Most modern bolt-actions have either total blind boxes or boxes with a floor plate (floor plate opens to permit rapid unloading without cycling the bolt). Very few bolt-action centerfire rifles have detachable magazines.
Old October 9, 2014, 10:46 AM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

They ALL load from the breech. The breech is basically the rear of the action.
Apparently you mean load the MAGAZINE, not the chamber, from the TOP, in a fixed or blind magazine?
Denis
Old October 9, 2014, 01:15 PM   #14
taylorce1

Quote:
The Remington 700, Zastava Mini Mauser, Savage 10, and Ruger Hawkeye*
These rifles all load like your Mosin and SKS and are in your price range. The Kimber is going to break your $800 budget unless you find an awesome deal on a used one. However like I said before if you want long range Tikka and Ruger American are your best bet due to fast twist barrels, but you can't top load these rifles easily.
Old October 9, 2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Sevens

Quote:
Very few bolt-action centerfire rifles have detachable magazines.
I suppose we could argue the definition of "very few" but I would say there are a slew of bolt action center fire rifles on the market that use a detachable magazine.

In any case, a suggestion for the OP for a quality bolt action with a blind magazine that runs well, offers a heap of value and is quite low in cost is the Howa 1500. This is a Japanese made rifle and while imported by Legacy Sports, some may not realize that the "budget" economy rifle in the Weatherby line (the Vanguard series) is actually a Weatherby branded Howa rifle.

There's just a lot of value here and may fit the bill for you.
Old October 9, 2014, 03:06 PM   #16
Okcafe86

I think he means a bolt action with a floor plate magazine. I have a remington 700 in this configuration.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old October 9, 2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Doyle

Quote:
I suppose we could argue the definition of "very few"
Yea, there's probably more than I originally thought. I know at least some Sakos and apparently the Tikkas have them as do the Ruger American series. Probably quite a bit more if I were to look hard enough.
Old October 9, 2014, 05:30 PM   #18
SteveP91

The Savage 10 and Remington 700 are pretty much describe what I'm looking to get. Is either better than the other? In terms of accuracy, reliability and possible stock or trigger upgrades?
Old October 9, 2014, 05:47 PM   #19
DPris
Member Emeritus

Savage is a standard, well-known for accuracy, not top tier in build quality but up there in how it shoots.
The Remington is a classic & the 700 action is the basis for some very serious sniper people.

Remington's QC has been variable, check in person before committing.
Probably more trigger options for the Rem.
Denis
Old October 9, 2014, 08:02 PM   #20
SteveP91

Did some searching on the Tikka T3 and I am definitely considering it. I guess I could deal with the detachable magazine. I would like to have the muzzle threaded for possibility of suppressing. Can you get threaded barrels for it, or should I take it to a reputable smith for threading?
Old October 9, 2014, 09:20 PM   #21
jimbob86

Some guns come with the barrel already threaded ...... Ruger's GSR and Remington's SPS Tactical AAC-SD come to mind....