The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 14, 2002, 09:51 PM   #1
Ironbarr

Winchester Model 02 .22 Single Shot... bedding.

This very old - and reliable - small rifle has a barrel/stock fit that has loosened up - the barrel can be moved maybe an 1/8-inch after tightening the screw. The bedding material is unknown to me, but is black - like pitch.

I assume that the bedding needs work and I need info re material, technique, and "when to stop"... that is - sight-in. In the past this 02 has been a great squirrel popper in the 40-50 yard range.

Oh - by my best research, this little guy (and my father) was born in 1903. An oldie but goodie.

Thanks for input.

-Andy

Old December 15, 2002, 07:32 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

There's an interesting method for bedding .22s at http://riflestocks.tripod.com/beddin...ELBEDDINGBLOCK

George
Old December 15, 2002, 05:40 PM   #3
Ironbarr

George,

Thank you for the link... interesting, as you say. I think that someone in the dim, dark past used something like tar or pitch - maybe a form of black aluminum paste... I'm not sure of the material. But I intend to make this one of the winter projects.

And, BTW, for those folks who have an older bookmark for this site, the link (currently) rolls over to a new URL - http://riflestocks.tripod.com/bedding.html - starting with Glass Bedding, then Pillar Bedding (work in progress), and the Barrel Bedding Block; it continues into testing with three targets. It's a great source. But then, George, you already know this.

Again, thank you.

Great and safe holidays to you and yours.

-Andy