The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Vermonter

Write your reps!! it only takes a second

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx

I had not previously found an option to write everyone at once and I like it.

I wrote the following..........

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I like many share the heartfelt desire to mitigate and eventually completely eliminate every and any violent tragedy in our society. I cannot begin to conceive of the pain felt by the families of the mass shootings in our country or for that matter the murders that happen every day.

If I could somehow magically be guaranteed that giving up my 2a rights and therefore my firearms would stop all of this instantly I would have little need for them in the first place and oblige without question.

The issue however is that we live in a world where sadly evil does still exist. It is for that reason along with sporting reasons that I own firearms in the first place. Please do not make it harder for my family, friends, and loved ones to protect ourselves.

Please do not disarm the populace who believe it or not are on your side. None of us want evil in our schools, churches, malls, movie theaters, or anywhere else.

We are firearm owners largely because no matter how hard you try you as the government cannot protect us 24x7 365. We believe that we have a level of responsibility to provide our own protection.

Sincerely, A Patriot

Feel free to use any or all of the above in your own writing everyone.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
southjk

Link results in Page not found.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
zincwarrior

Try this one

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx

Will try it tonight. I'd also write separately (email and real letter form) to make the point.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Vermonter

Thanks for the link help

Zinc thank you I am not sure what happened there.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Nasty

Not gettin' any love...the prez has not yet called me back.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Vermonter

Ttt

Cause it matters
Old January 10, 2013, 05:56 AM   #7
mitchntx

Thank you Vermonter ... sent out another note.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
zincwarrior

Going to do this myself (the form but also direct emails and letters). I think I'll definitely send to the both parties and the President/VP as well. It would be interesting to have both the Democratic Party and Republican Party inundated with letters supporting the Second Amendment and you willingness to back that with dollars and votes.

After all, its not a party issue, its a fundamental right.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
longlane

ttt indeed

because it does indeed matter
Old January 10, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Vermonter

TTT

You know the drill. Not trying to preach. PS. Every time I have checked this thread I am sending that same text to someone else. Yes it does matter.

Thanks Guys

P.S. Join the NRA

No they are not the best voice we have but they are the loudest and we need the help!
Old January 12, 2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Vermonter

Just did it again

TTT
Old January 12, 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Cheap 870

Here's Rugers version.
http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/#
Old January 12, 2013, 10:42 PM   #13
coachteet

TTT

Just did it last night.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:08 PM   #14
JustABulletAway

I used Rugers version posted above

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Last edited by JustABulletAway; January 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Metal god

I have emailed my reps many times in the last month . Probable more times then I have previously in total . Every time I send one I check the box ( I would like a response ) and to date have not received one . Has anybody else ask for a response ? If so have you gotten one .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #16
piesyor

Sign it now !!!!!!!! Before it's too late

Anyone who believes they have a right to own a gun in this country should go to the White House Petition page (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ntrol/Csr8GhmZ) and sign the petition to keep Osama/Obama from taking away our rights by executive order.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Vermonter

TTT

TTT

PS I have not once gotten a response from a single solitary politician on tis issue. They need to understand that they will be voted out.

I am so sick of this one sided government.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:41 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter
PS I have not once gotten a response from a single solitary politician on tis issue. They need to understand that they will be voted out.
And who is going to vote them out?

My senators and congresscritter are all Democrats, and my state always votes Democratic. It has been decades since we had a Republican Senator. My U.S. Representative has been getting reelected for longer than anyone can remember.

I wrote to all three -- real, genuine snail mail letters, with stamps and the whole bit -- but I don't fool my self by thinking it will affect their solidly-anti-gun position.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:05 PM   #19
Metal god

Quote:
My senators and congresscritter are all Democrats, and my state always votes Democratic. It has been decades since we had a Republican Senator. My U.S. Representative has been getting reelected for longer than anyone can remember.
I have the same issue . Dang look where I'm at CA what am I to do , write feistein and ask her not to support her own bill ?

Well thats what I did five times in the last month But I got ta tell ya it sure seems like a waist of time . I have wrote My congress women more then that but have not gotten a reply .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #20
leadchucker

Quote:
...write feistein and ask her not to support her own bill?
Sure! If enough voters do that it will hit a nerve! I'm not in CA, so it won't do any good for me to write her.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Vermonter

TTT

I know it feels hopeless but it is the system that we need to participate in. These folks do read these things or pay aids to read these things. Bottom line is we need to flood these people with our thoughts and opinions. In the time it takes you to write a reply to my post you can do this and hopefully do some good.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:33 PM   #22
ltc444

Generally speaking, elected officials ignore messages coming through organizations. They also ignore form letters.

The best method is to go directly to your senator and representative's web site. It is simple, google your representative. example contact 1st district AZ congressman. The congressional site will come up. You fill in the blanks and send them a personal message.

The critical block which you should check is the one which says do you want a reply. Check it and when they do not reply send them another e mail.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Vermonter

TTT

Common folks discouragment will only lead to more defeat. We need to continue this practice. Every member of TFL should do one of these a day it only takes a second.

Please do it for each other!

Regards, Vermonter
Old January 16, 2013, 11:56 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

If your representative is antithetical to your beliefs, financially support a candidate that is not.

I grant you both parties put up sets of idiots. Or you could support organizations that have a national reach and may support legislators whose votes will negate your crappy representative or senator.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Vermonter

TT Freaking T

I know I probably sound annoying at this point but frankly I don't care. Please use the links contained within to write your reps or do anything and everything you can to let them know how we feel on this.