The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 2, 2001, 07:28 PM   #1
Dead Aim

I dont know who actually orginizes hunts and all that stuff, but whoever is in charge in Maryland needs to get their heads out. After deer season there are still massive herds of deer roaming the plains. I talked to dozens of people that have either hit a deer or come close to hitting one. My friend hit a nice size buck and totally f'ed up his new car last week. Since he isnt a big hunter he didnt pick the deer up after he killed it, which most people probably wouldnt, but i would have snatched it up. Any deer that puts even a scratch in my car aint getting off alive. Anyone here actually pick up a deer hit by a car? Are they still intact or torn to shreads?

later
deadaim

Minor edit by Art Eatman

[Edited by Art Eatman on 02-03-2001 at 12:11 PM]
Old February 2, 2001, 08:02 PM   #2
handgunhunting

I wright MD dnr every year about opening a special 2 week handgun hunt state wide. This will give the state another $5.00 for the stamp and help bring the deer numbers down as well as give all the handgunhunters in MD a chance to hunt the way they love to. lets all wright to MD DNR and help me get this trough to them.
Old February 2, 2001, 09:06 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Omitting legal issues, since they vary so much from state to state: There's no problem with eating the meat of a deer which has been hit by a vehicle. Depending on how it's hit, the gutting and butchering could be a bit messy, but that's why they invented garden hoses.

Simple enough to cut off any obviously-gashed or badly bruised meat...

Art
Old February 2, 2001, 10:59 PM   #4
BadMedicine

Yeah...

When we lived in colorado a young guy, prolly 20 came to our house and wanted to use the phone...he had just hit a deer and needed to call a tow truck and the cops. They came and my parents went over to talk to them and look at the deer, I was only about 1 or 2 then.
My dad asked the cops what they do with the deer that are road kill. The cop says "oh, I put out a couple cones and call such and such to come pick it up in the morning." my dad asked what they do with them. The cop says they take them up in the mountains and dump them off of the road somewhere. My dad says "what if the deer aren't here in the morning??" The cop says "then they can't pick them up can they??" The cop didn't even leave any cones...and I doubt he called it in. My parents stayed up all night butchering.

Last summer coming home from a friends house late a goose was standing in the road. It went bump. He was real tender
Old February 3, 2001, 11:37 AM   #5
CD1

A couple of friends were leaving our house late one night, made it about a mile and hit a doe. They called and we told them to throw it in the trunk and bring it to us. No probs. Some severely bruised meat that we didnt use but no probs.
Old February 3, 2001, 12:15 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Dead Aim, I imagine you're referring more to bag limits and seasons than "organized hunts"?

In all states, such rules are set by whatever state government agency that has to do with wildlife and hunting/fishing.

Changes are brought about by input from hunters and landowners, as well as by such things as game census counts by the agency's biologists. You might contact your state's agency to discover their policies in such matters.

Regards, Art
Old February 3, 2001, 05:28 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Art, MD's afflicted with some of the most virulent anti hunters in the US. Under Governor Clendenning, an anti hunter was appointed to the Wildlife Advisory Board and now there's a task force devoted to "Exploring non lethal alternatives in wildlife management".

It bites. Hunters and fishers have been the backbone of the conservation movement since the beginning, and now the bill for eliminating those activities is being paid by same.

BTW, If a Md hunter hunted all zones and used all weapons this last year, the bag was limited to a mere 36 Whitetail asd Fallow deer and another 6 Sika.

Aerial surveys of a couple farms I hunt on the Eastern Shore have deer densities of over 100/sq mi. We can use a lot of crop permits, over and above our license tags..
Old February 3, 2001, 07:34 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sheesh! Well, we had an anti-hunter appointed to the Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission--but she only lasted one term.

One of the big problem with the anti-hunting crowd is their total lack of understanding of the population dynamics of deer. The idea of a geometric growth rate just confuses the heck out of them.

Since they're unconcerned with any tax-paid cost-effectiveness, it's pointless to explain that the present structure can control the population at no cost--a profit, actually--to the state. This is helpful, though, in TV and newspaper ads.

The worst part of it from a wildlife standpoint is that the hunter worries about the good of a species, that there be a surplus for which to hunt. The anti-hunter worries over the fate of one particular individual animal, and ignores the species as a whole.

And once you end hunting, you end having active game wardens--which creates a poacher's Eden.

Art
Old February 3, 2001, 10:34 PM   #9
Dead Aim

Another thing, I live in Maryland and hunt in Pennsylvannia. From what ive experienced both areas have the same kinds of people, same deer habitats, same everything that you would expect would effect deer hunting. But there is one very distinct difference. When the sun begins to rise in PA opening day its like world war 3. You hear hundreds of shots going off in all directions for hours. Its the complete opposite in Maryland. Where i live, which is in a somewhat wooded area, you hear maybe 15 shots a day. The only thing i can account for this lack of hunting is strict control over it. I never knew what game lands were, until i went to northern PA. I couldnt believe that a government would actually give land for people to hunt on. All im saying is that stuff is messed up and needs to get fixed.
peace out dead aim
Old February 4, 2001, 06:48 PM   #10
Keith Rogan

>>>>>Last summer coming home from a friends house late a goose was standing in the road. It went bump. He was real tender<<<<<

I would guess that was near Elmendorf or have they finally chased them out of there after that plane sucked one up and went down?
Driving through there one evening two years ago, a huge heard of panicked geese flew across the road in front of me and when I looked left (in the direction they were coming from) I saw a fat and sassy wolf trotting into the brush along the runway with a big honker in it's mouth.

Old February 4, 2001, 06:51 PM   #11
Keith Rogan

A "heard" of geese? What the flock was I thinking?

Old February 5, 2001, 12:28 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, gaggle me with a spoon!

, Art
Old February 5, 2001, 12:51 AM   #13
BadMedicine

I *heard* that Sure it wasn't a *herd* of geese kieth? Oh I'm just getting your goose....I think the possibuilities here are endless gentlemen

Anyways, No it was out on Minnesota, there are literally hundreds of them in the spring, and through until the fall. Earlier this winter a wolf was hit by a a car out my Fort Rich. Biologists say there's a small pack that roams the area. Maybe it as last winter?? I can't remember.
This is kinda wondering off the topic, but there is a HUGE population of foxon Elmendorf. We've seen many. Too bad there's not allowed any hunting out there, I'd like to go out there and hunt them with shutgun, or maybe bow
Old February 5, 2001, 12:04 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, Bad Medicine, take your shotgun idea to the powers-that-be at Elmendorf, and point out that they're ripe for a rabies outbreak. At no cost to the taxpayers, you'll help alleviate the danger.

, Art
Old February 5, 2001, 12:38 PM   #15
Keith Rogan

uh no, I meant "heard", you know how noisy a gaggle of geese can be....

And yeah, the damned Air Force is spending gazillions of tax payer dollars over there for devices to scare thoe geese off the runways.
A couple of 870's, a case or three of BB magnums and a bag of cracked corn oughta do the trick... Then we can submit a bill for about a hundred K for our "consultant fee" just to make it properly governmental. It wouldn't be right otherwise.

Old February 5, 2001, 03:52 PM   #16
Poodleshooter

One of Maryland's biggest problems is a lack of public land and too much hunter density on the public land that is available. For those of who are lucky enough to live in the country in the western or eastern counties, it's probably quite easy to get permission to hunt from a neighbor. Since most MD'ers live in the suburbs or city, it can be tough for these kinds of folks to get private land permission in the prime deer hunting areas. I got quite frustrated with the 2 types of landowners I found-1. "No you can't hunt here" and 2. "You can hunt here for $500 per year, because I know how little private land there is in this state." If you don't know anyone with private land and don't get a deer in the first 2 days of the season on public land, you are pretty much SOL. Getting a 6 pointer on the highly harvested MD public land in Allegheny county seemed to be quite the score. I never saw anything over 7 pt or so come out of the Wildlife Management areas I hunted in western MD. Patterning deer after the second day on MD public land is pretty much a hit or miss proposition.
Closed Thread