The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2014, 12:21 AM   #1
skizzums

Why no revolving shotgun??

Just curious to as why there are no options for a revolving cylinder 12ga shotgun on the market? is there no appeal to this? the only thing i can find close is the Striker which is too short to own without AOW stamp

i would think with all the hype around taurus 20ga revolvers that got stopped, this would be a very marketable gun, i personally would love to have one, i know they make the rossi 2-ga rfles, so why not a 12ga? or are these available and i just dont know about it

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]
Old January 18, 2014, 01:53 AM   #2
DannyB1954

A few companies make them in 410. I imagine the reason that they are not made in 12 ga. is the cylinder would have to be very large.
Old January 18, 2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

There is no reason it can't be done, but the cylinder can not be spring actuated.
The Taurus revolver was a 28 Ga., not a 20 ga. The barrel/cylinder gap could be problematic.
Old January 18, 2014, 02:05 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

I think the biggest draw back would be ejection or unloading of the cylinder.

Just about all shotguns eject spent shells from the chamber, auto's, pump's, SxS's, O/U's some single shots.

The shooter takes the time to load the cylinder- shoots-unload cylinder, too much time wasted.
Old January 18, 2014, 02:33 PM   #5
SDC

KBP/TsKIB SOO in Russia makes the MTs-255 in 12, 20, and 410, but I don't know if there are any US importers: http://www.kbptula.ru/index.php/en/p...ng-arms/mts255

Old January 18, 2014, 03:55 PM   #6
PetahW

Meet the Roper Revolving Shorgun.

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/...g-shotgun.aspx

The Roper shotgun, made in 16 and 12 gauge, fired special shells, whose cases were made of steel and had rebated rim.
It had a 28/28.5 inch barrel, with an adjustable choke at the muzzle.
(Patent no. 53,881, from april 10th 1866. - Production from 1887 to 1879.)

Old January 18, 2014, 05:22 PM   #7
skizzums

the russian one looks nice, and it looks like it has a shell ejector similar to any other revolver
Old January 18, 2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

Quote:
the only thing i can find close is the Striker which is too short to own without AOW stamp
It didn't ever have anything to do with length.
The ATF ruled that the Striker (and Street Sweeper) shotguns had no sporting purpose and must be registered as Destructive Devices and therefore require a $200 DD stamp not a $5 AOW stamp.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:07 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

The practical reasons are a combination of no (not low, no) demand, and the drawback of size, bulk, balance to a shotgun size cylinder.

Capacity would be 5, possibly 6 if the cylinder is bulky enough, but that width cylinder is about twice the width of a regular shotgun, or more, and the same capacity is handled by a tube magazine without the same kind of bulk in the middle of the gun as a cylinder.

Then there is also the drawback that with a revolving long gun, someone is going to put their arm infront of the flash gap. Today's revolving long guns (which, despite marketing are essentially really only novelty items) do have some kind of a shield. Old designs I have seen never did.

SO, what you wind up with is a gun with a very thick bulge in the middle, making it awkward and uncomfortable to carry one handed, that has a potentially dangerous zone (cylinder flash gap), doesn't have any capacity advantage over regular designs, and would likely cost considerably more to make.

Sure, some would buy one, just to have, but any kind of mass market appeal? No.

The Striker 12 & Streetsweeper guns were classified as Destructive Devices by our benevolent ATF, after a few years of allowing the common folk to own them without restriction. Apparently they are just too "dangerous".

They were featured by name in the 94AWB, and even more ominously, the language of that law not only named them, but also any other firearm with a mechanism "substgantially similar to" them. Considering that those guns were essentially DA revolvers in mechanism, that gave them a foot in the door, legally, to at some later time, regulate/ban DA revolvers. The fact that the anti gunners didn't capitalize on that (yet) means only that they are waiting for the right time. The groundwork has been laid.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:10 PM   #10
RJay

There have been revolving shotguns down through the ages, people didn't buy them, why would they buy them now??
Old January 18, 2014, 10:03 PM   #11
natman

Because there is no real advantage over the well established tube magazine pump and semiauto designs readily available.
Old January 18, 2014, 10:03 PM   #12
Willie Lowman

And then they made this thing...

http://kitup.military.com/2014/01/cr...high-tech.html
Old January 18, 2014, 11:01 PM   #13
skizzums

yeah, the bullpup def looks like, i dunno, fun? it better have a kind of gas seal though

[IMG][IMG]
Old January 19, 2014, 11:37 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Penn Arms?....

Penn Arms based in Punaxatawny PA(yes the home of Punaxatawny Phil ), has the Street Sweeper or Striker a drum style 12ga for SWAT/tier one units.
I think they offered a "street legal" longer barrel format but cut it due to low sales.

Penn Arms(which changed company names about 4 years ago, new name unknown) sells a lot of 40mm & 37mm riot guns and spec ops stuff that most armed citizens don't really need or buy.

Clyde F
Old January 20, 2014, 12:05 AM   #15
SIGSHR

Looks rather awkward and ill balanced.
Old January 20, 2014, 11:12 AM   #16
JimDandy

That and laws that hit the Street Sweeper are likely to hit this. So even if someone did make it, making it legal for everyone is more problematic. There was a bill in Congress recently about a buyback for various guns on a Federal level, that would have allowed you to buy a Rossi for less than the government was willing to pay in tax credits, making it possible to negate your tax bill by buying a couple Rossi's and turning them in.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:03 PM   #17
Willie Lowman

(in my best Eric Cartman voice) "Oh. Thank you ClydeFrog"

Penn Arms is now called Combined Systems. I was not aware that they made Striker shotguns. I wonder how their new productions compare to the original South African ones. I know the Street Sweeper guns were a cheap knock off...

https://www.combinedsystems.com/products/?cid=133
Old January 20, 2014, 04:00 PM   #18
Dragline45

How about the SRM 1216 shotgun? 16rd semi auto shotgun, after each 4 shots you rotate the cylinder/magtube and keep firing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4aONkgzU8
Old January 21, 2014, 12:27 PM   #19
RJay

All I can say is" To each , his own "
Old January 21, 2014, 02:52 PM   #20
BigJimP

I saw this "rail system" written up in "Recoil" magazine a couple of months ago.....on the Benelli M-2 ..../ it sells for around $ 700...

https://www.xrailbyrci.com/

holds 25 rounds....and the writeup was positive....

( not something I want ....but its another option )...
Old January 21, 2014, 05:37 PM   #21
ClydeFrog

Sweeeet....

The Striker 12ga is rather tacti-cool .
I'm not sure if Id purchase the fixed stock or M4 type "furniture" for the 12ga.

Both have merits. The fixed would be good for regular use or for powerful 12ga loads.
The adjustable format would be great for warrant squads or "jump out" details. If you had marine or air-support ops(aircraft) that could save on space & be compact.

Since I'm not a spec ops commando or PMC, I think Id buy a fixed stock version with the muzzle break.
Old January 21, 2014, 05:58 PM   #22
model18

This is the Cobray Street Sweeper I once owned, as it was given to me as a house warming gift! It was rather crude and basically sucked for any real fun shooting. I sold it soon after the $200 ATF registration BS, and never looked back.

Old January 23, 2014, 10:47 AM   #23
JimDandy

That would certainly get funny looks on the trap field. I still remember the guy who was trying to shoot trap with a Saiga HD number.
Old January 25, 2014, 01:35 AM   #24
Deja vu

I revolving shotgun would make a great NFA SBS. You have a shorter action than magazine loaded shotguns and you dont loose capacity by loosing length in the magtube like a semi or pump.

out side of a SBS it just looks like a fun toy. I am not sure if you could legally hunt waterfowl with it because you can not modify it in a way that it can only hold 3 rounds.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...