The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 29, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
hounddawg

DBM or Hinged floor plate

I have never owned a rifle with the hinged floorplate only DBM's. What are the advantages /disadvantages of each. Primary use will be target shooting but thinking about doing some stand hunting for deer and hogs next year. Specific rifle would be the Savage FCNS or FHNS
Old November 29, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

DBM
Pros: easy to reload, you can keep loaded ammo separate from rifle, but can "top up" quickly while still staying within game laws, you can reload different ammo types quickly.

hinged floorplate: cheaper, simple, no magazine to lose, fits flush make rifle handier for carry or for offhand shooting, nothing to snag when moving through brush

For stand hunting, I'd go DBM. If you're carrying it around through brush, hinged floorplate. I do the latter and have little need for the other features of the DBM, so I don't have any bolt DBMs.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
tobnpr

For target shooting it makes little difference.
Depending on the height of your rest or bipod, etc. the depth of the magazine should be considered. A high cap magazine may not leave enough clearance under the rifle. This is obvious when my son tries to shoot his AK off a rest with a 30 round clip!

Since DBM's are usually more expensive, since I don't see an advantage for your intended use I would opt for the hinged floorplate. We have them on our Rem 700's and Savages both and have never regretted not having a DBM...
Old November 29, 2011, 05:59 PM   #4
hounddawg

thanks guys you pretty much confirmed what I suspected. BTW tobnpr I know what a pain it is to try and shoot a AR off a rest. I mostly shoot it prone with sling or offhand but when working a new load it is a pain on the rest. I guess I will just buy the one that I can find in stock in the caliber I want w5hen I get ready to plunk down the card, probably February.
Old November 29, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
warbirdlover

Hinged. DBM require shorter ammo sometimes and are just something else to lose.

KISS method. (Keep it simple stupid)
Old November 29, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
jmr40

On a bolt rifle I don't care for DBM. Floorplate or even a blind magazine works fine for me. But if I found a rifle I really liked and it was DBM or nothing, I'd be OK with it. Tikka is a good example. I like them, would like em better if they didn't have the DBM, but that would not keep me from buying one if I wanted to.
Old November 29, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
5RWill

DBM for me. I like to be able to switch out mags quickly and hold 10rds.