The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1
antibiotic

when barrel maker doesnt do it right for you.

when i had a barrel made by XXX co. I supplied the reamer. had to rent it and have it shipped to them, because they didnt have one. they reamed it out to the cartridge i wanted. when i received the new chamber cut barrel, i coulnt get any cartridges in. I found out through my own investigation the freebore wasnt cut. so i call and ask them what the chamber measurements where. they told me to call the reamer company to get the measurements from them. they did not have them. is this right? wouldnt a service provider print out something they do for a customer? measurements in this case... isnt that what i paid them for? i did send them a couple resized empty brass cases for a little insurance. Anyway, i sent back to get the freebore cut.. If i remember right the reamer only cut a fraction of the freebore. they didnt see that! I did have that measurement included with my order too. it wasnt cut. later..........
I get my barrel back......freebore cut.
Now i do a chamber cast just to see what i got. I really cant do any measurements with this chamber cast i made, but at least i can have a better idea what it looks like. I look at it, and i look at it.... WHAT I SEE,,,, @#%*%!!!! the cast revealed some odd things with the rifling and the throat angle, where the freebore transitions into the rifling. 3 riflings are shorter, start later. and the other 3 lands start earlier in the transition. looks like they bored off center and it took off more rifling on the one side. IF i can see this with the naked eye, theres no telling how much this transition from freebore to rifling is off center. how this would effect bullet jump to the rifling?not good!
Your thoughts? if the reamer is the measurement? i cant ask the reamer What service(s)am i to expect to get this resolved. what would you do in this type of issue? Thanks

Last edited by antibiotic; December 29, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Scorch

1- They cut the chamber with the reamer you supplied. If you did specify the throat depth, they did not check it or catch that youwanted the throat longer, that's their problem. Neck diameter is not something they can control, that is all on the reamer manufacturer.

2- Chamber casts are typically not done with crayons.

3- When you cut a throat, there is no way to cut some lands shorter than the others. You can ream it off-center, you and ream it out of round, you can even ream it too long or short, but you cannot make some of the lands longer than others. A borescope will tell the tale.

4- Whether the maker is well-known and respected or a total unknown, there are times when things go wrong. A reputable shop will stand behind their work. Talk to them before venting on an internet forum. If they still won't do you right, then let's hear about it.
Old December 29, 2010, 02:21 AM   #3
triggerman770

"Talk to them before venting on an internet forum. If they still won't do you right, then let's hear about it. "

well said, Scorch
www.georgiacarry.org
Old January 5, 2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Ideal Tool

I bet Harlow Parkenfarker the infamous gunsmith could ream a chamber with uneven land lengths in leade. That man can do wonders with firearms!
Old January 5, 2011, 11:12 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Could I suggest firing the rifle before complaining? There may be no problem at all where it counts.

Jim