The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2010, 04:46 PM   #26
BigJimP

1350 fps is a very fast shell ..../ I was talking "light" target loads at 1150 fps ...
Old October 21, 2010, 05:29 PM   #27
grousehunter49

Rem mod 11

I,m talking 7/8oz have to get speed up to cycle.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:35 PM   #28
bamatj

There is many model 11s and A5s that is older than anybody on this forum that is still going strong. If thats not reliable I would like to know what is. Yes, you might have to replace friction rings and recoil springs ever 30-70 years. If there is another auto shotgun that has stood the test of time like these two, I want one. I have also seen near mint A5s between $500-600. Imho you can not buy a better auto for that. Yes they will kick more than an 1100, and yes you will need the friction rings set right. Besides that, just shoot em. I wonder where the Berettas and Benellis will be 100 years from now. Im no expert though, but all of this is good enough for me lol. Also John Browning said the A5 was his best invention, do you know more than him lol?
Old October 26, 2010, 12:37 AM   #29
DG45

I feel like the grandfather did in the movie Moonstruck when he said "I'm so confused".

Zippy 13 said:

Yes, Browning had their Auto-5s made by Remington, instead of FN, from WWII until the early 1950s. No, your war time Browning is not identical to the Remington Model 11: The Remington-produced Browning A-5s had magazine cutoffs - Remington M-11s didn't. Bear in mind that Remington changed over to their new auto, the Model 11-48, in 1948. Scorch's use of the term "rebranded" may be an over statement; but, it seems reasonable to assume that parts initially intended for Remington guns found their way to Brownings after 1947

Also, in you look up "Browning A-5" in Wikipedia, it lists three makers of the gun: Fabrique Nationale, Remington and BROWNING ARMS.

When the heck did BROWNING ARMS get into the act? I thought the A-5 was manufactured strictly by FN until 1940 and by Remington from 1940 to 1948 and by FN again starting some time later. Wasn't the name Browning just meant to denote that these guns were designed by John Moses Browning? I have read that FN did make 5000 guns that were purchased by JM Browning personally for sale in the US before the date in 1905 when Remington started US production of their Remington Autoloading Shotgun based on his patent. (In 1911, that Remington Autoloading Shotgun was renamed the Remington Model 11.)

But the the word "Browning as used above seems to imply that it was the Browning Company was that was producing or selling the A-5, and Wikipedia does indicate that the Browning Company did have something to do with the A-5.

What gives?

Last edited by DG45; October 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old October 26, 2010, 03:13 AM   #30
natman

Quote:
Also, in you look up "Browning A-5" in Wikipedia, it lists three makers of the gun: Fabrique Nationale, Remington and BROWNING ARMS.
In the early 70's Browning switched production from FN in Belgium to Miroku in Japan.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #31
model11

misfiring?

I have a Remington model 11 12 gauge that fires when just closing the action. Is this a common problem? We have the stored the gun away for a while now due to the malfunctioning. It is quite dangerous! I know the gun has not been cleaned up much at all. Is tearing the thing apart and cleaning it up good the best idea or is something specifically wrong when a semi-auto does this?

Thanks!
Old October 29, 2010, 11:02 AM   #32
grousehunter49

Misfireing

I don,t know if there is a spring on the firing pin or not, if there is, it is broken or weak and the jolt from the bolt is causing the firing pin to go ahead and discharge the shell, my 48AL used to dimple the primer upon closing the bolt, put new firing pin spring on it ,fixed. hope this helps.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:22 PM   #33
Logs

I just bought one myself it came with a full choke barrel and a 18in HD barrel. Shoots good, but it does kick more than my Beretta 391.

Where is the best place to download a owners manual for the 11??

Old October 29, 2010, 08:31 PM   #34
grousehunter49

Rem 11

Did you try Remington, they made them ,they should have a manual, worth a try. How can anything look any better than that. A5,s and Rem 11,s
Old October 29, 2010, 08:36 PM   #35
Logs

All I could find was 1100 and 11/87
Old October 29, 2010, 08:57 PM   #36
grousehunter49

Rem 11

I just went on google, and said A5 is pretty much same,few miner differances, I disagree,but then you never know.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:30 AM   #37
DG45

Hey, Logs.

The web site below advertises a copy of a Remington Model 11 owners manual for $3.99. Just pull up the website and scroll down it until you find the shotgun manual section. Then just keep scrolling down through the alphabetical listings in the shotgun manual section until you come to Remington. The Remington Model 11 owners manual is the second of the several Remington shotgun manuals listed.

http://www.gungarage.com/gunmanuals.htm
Old November 4, 2010, 12:24 PM   #38
zippy13

Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs
Shoots good, but it does kick more than my Beretta 391.
Duhh… Doesn't most anything kick more than your Beretta gasser?

For a Model-11 manual, you didn't look hard enough at the Remington site. On the page for manuals, there's small print at the bottom linking to requests for obsolete gun manuals, click here.
Old November 4, 2010, 12:44 PM   #39
Scorch

Quote:
I have a Remington model 11 12 gauge that fires when just closing the action.
Good idea keeping it put away.

There is no firing pin spring in the Model 11/Auto-5, the locking bolt is supposed to retract the firing pin. Disassemble and inspect the bolt and firing pin.

Early Model 11s had a round firing pin, a modification called for a flat firing pin with ears that is retracted by the locking bolt camming out of the barrel extension. The modification/replacement part wasmade available way back when.

Later Model 11s had the flat firing pin, but the slot where the firing pin passes through can get wallowed out and fail to retract the firing pin. If yours has a flat pin, retire the gun, it's near impossible to fing a locking bolt for one.
Quote:
I just went on google, and said A5 is pretty much same,few miner differances,
Yes and no. They are both loosely based on the same design, but the A5s are made to metric measurements, Model 11s are US Standard.