The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 5, 2006, 04:04 PM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

If he is a clean cut character and with some smarts - he should figure out that an OC spray has much more utility than a makeshift impact weapon like a sock full of coins.

Also, places like the Y, school district continuing ed - have evening courses in self-defense that are not that expensive. I'm sure said attorney buys beer or has cable TV. A couple of months of watching those expenses would suffice.

Since I'm a college prof, I'm certainly aware of new graduates and expenses. It doesn't ring true. A Taurus 9mm revolver goes for around $259 where I live. A box of 9mm ammo can be gotten for $3.89 to $10.00 (HP) at WallyWorld.

The ridiculous nature of the suggested weapon vs. techinques and equipment for a responsible citizen is what makes the discussion troublesome.

Railing against the government is fine on gun lists but it is not an an excuse for Rube Goldberg weaponery.
Old January 5, 2006, 04:20 PM   #52
Doug.38PR

Well, not that I am trying to close the discussion or anything, I am going to forward the link to this thread to my friend and he will be able to see all advice pro and con for this tactic. Might even decide to jump in with his own questions.
Old January 5, 2006, 04:50 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

Sounds like a good idea. Sock it to him!
Old January 12, 2006, 01:55 AM   #54
Optical Serenity

Quote:
Its illegal in California at least. I think its listed as a monkeyfist or sailors knot or some silly name like that. It's one of those laws that they only arrest and convict for when they feel like it. If you're walking down the street carrying a roll of quarters they're not going to throw the book at you. But if a homosexual communist black Phillipino Eskimo mugs you and you hit him over the head with it and kill him, your ass is grass if brought to media attention.
This is by far one of the funniest posts I have ever read!

Yes, in some states "monkey fists" are illegal... In Georgia one of us GA cops would praise you for such an intuitive device
Old January 16, 2006, 01:01 AM   #55
losvaqueros

fruitcake and a sock........hmmm
Old January 24, 2006, 07:06 AM   #56
AussieHunter

A few years ago at our local pub my brother grabbed a pool ball of the table and put that inside a sock and then started swinging it directly at the heads of the wankers trying to get me out side...........it definatly works.
Old January 24, 2006, 10:24 AM   #57
urbanassault

Was the sock off of his foot?!? I would love to see somebody take their shoe off and continue to beat a guy with a pool ball in a sock with on shoe on!

Another weapon that is easily concealed and can be very lethal is a kubaton(sp) can be hidden as a keychain but at like 4-5 inches long and 1inch diameter it is pretty dangerous in the right hands.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 24, 2006, 01:39 PM   #58
Drunk Fat Man

All good ideas with the socks, but then you have to carry a sock around all day. I bought and "SAP CAP" and wear all the time. All it is, is a baseball hat with about one-two ounces of lead shot stitched into the back of the hat. A little wierd at first, but you get use to the weight.

Sight Alignment, Trigger Squeeze.
Old January 25, 2006, 01:46 AM   #59
beaver396

I dont like the sock trick, if you miss you cant return it back fast enough, and plus it would be easy to grab if not a direct hit in the head.

also keep in mind that when using a weapon other than a gun for self defense is risky, how many times have you heard of someone taking a bat to a fight then losing it and gets beat sensless by his own bat ( happened to someone i went to school with). same thing with a knife.

its either bare hands or gun.
Old January 25, 2006, 06:19 AM   #60
AussieHunter

Have you seen how slow a pissed aussie is not to mention a pissed yank. Hand guns are illegal here. And work socks usually end up in your pockets, so it the best thing to use on hand and it can be quite quick, give it a try just roll your wrist for a second blow if you miss.

We dont wanna shoot anyone just having fun
Old January 25, 2006, 07:39 PM   #61
sjstill

I'd be afraid that if I put $20.00 worth of quarters in a sock, they'd spill out and get lost. Perhaps a $20.00 money order would work better.

(from MAD magazine, many, many, many years ago in a send-up of Deathwish. My mind seems to be a storehouse of useless information)

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old January 26, 2006, 02:15 AM   #62
DerDer
Registration in progress

What works better is if you use tennis balls and slit them open to insert quarters. After filling them up seal the ball and put it in a sock. Looks much better and is more aerodynamic.

You hit someone with this and they aren't going to forget it.

Put one in each hand and become proficient you don't need anything else. Imagine a camouflage dressed quarter ball wielding ninja jumping through the shadows and striking down a burglar.

Last edited by DerDer; January 26, 2006 at 02:30 AM. Reason: .
Old January 26, 2006, 11:20 AM   #63
guntotin_fool

when i was in college and it was not Kosher to have a gun, despite often getting out of class late at night with a trip thru some crappy neighborhoods to get home, i carried a 10 inch length of chain and a pad lock hanging out my backpack, That stopped one guy really fast who was trying to get me to turn over my wallet. one hit to the wrist and another to the face and it was time for me to take off running. Later I changed it to a corded golf grip with 1 ounce of lead shot mixed with silicone packed into the closed end. This makes a wonderful and complete discrete blackjack. People would ask why I had a golf club grip in my briefcase and I would say, for visualization practice, and no one ever gave it a second thought, I carried this thru court house doors, in buildings where i was throughly searched etc. No one gace it a second thought. I used it a few times, everytime it worked as advertised. One swing, person on the receiving on the floot.

now Quote "Couldn't help but jump on this one. A crushing squeeze to the groin can send a man into a coma within seconds and possibly kill him. That is if you're close enough to swing sox full of quarters."

ahhh NO! I have gotten hit there with baseballs and hockey pucks, hard enough that later i had to go to hospital and get fluid removed, In none of those situations, was i disabled enough not to finish making the play. I did not want to do much more for the rest of the day, but i was NOT immediately disabled.
Old January 26, 2006, 11:31 AM   #64
urbanassault

Quote:
.....I have gotten hit there with baseballs and hockey pucks, hard enough that later i had to go to hospital and get fluid removed...
Holy s:barf: t dude. 2 words nutcup!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 26, 2006, 11:46 AM   #65
urbanassault

So i suppose this brings back bad memories....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball.jpg (57.2 KB, 202 views)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 26, 2006, 12:18 PM   #66
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket or are you just happy to see me???

Can't believe nobody has posted that yet----lolololololololololololol
-------Metallica
Old January 26, 2006, 12:59 PM   #67
urbanassault

Ive never got the quarters one, more like "is that a 3D mag lite........"

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 27, 2006, 12:06 AM   #68
AkAkman

Urbanassault --

That pic made me laugh out loud. I think i woke up the kids.
Old January 27, 2006, 10:07 AM   #69
urbanassault

Yeah the first time I saw it I almost fell out of my chair. It makes youre stomach hurt just looking at it.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 27, 2006, 10:48 AM   #70
Twycross

Just looked at that pic again. ROTFL!

I didn't notice the baseball the first time.
Old January 27, 2006, 07:25 PM   #71
loosecannon

When the sock full of quarters breaks open and the bad guy stops to pick up the quarters then you can either :
A) Run away.
B) Kick him in the butt when he is picking up the coins.
Now a snake in a sock that might be something...
Old January 27, 2006, 08:23 PM   #72
Doug.38PR

take your shoe off and start beating him with it.
Old January 29, 2006, 06:34 PM   #73
stevensc

I went to Lowe's this afternoon to buy a 2" trailer ball. As I was walking out to my truck with the ball in a bag I thought of this thread. If you could find a sock strong enough that ball would make a deadly weapon. Carry it around in a mesh bag and who could complain of it's legality.
But even more memorable was, as I checked out the young lady cashier told me " That sure is a heavy doorknob you are buying"
I hope she doesn't work in hardware.
Steve