The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 7, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1
COASTER

Q on Froglube

Howdy folks,

I have a few Qs Id like to ask of you experts!

Wondering if anybody out there has used Frog lube for cleaning handguns and whether or not it can be used for any type of handgun?

I read a blog recently, saying it was not adequate for 1911 type of semis.

Also, if I cleaned my handgun with Frog lube, should I still need to use a spray like a Remington lubricate?

Appreciate your responses,

Old July 7, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Theohazard

I use Froglube on every weapon I own; handguns, ARs, a lever-action rifle, a pump shotgun, it doesn't matter. It's the only lubricant I use now. You don't need to use much. And there's no need to use any other type of lube with it. You might need a dedicated solvent once in a while, but that's it.

I used to use Rem Oil on my 1911 and it would wear off and my barrel would rust when I carried it. But with Froglube all my rusting issues stopped.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:57 PM   #3
colbad

I have been using for about 6 months on my personal FAs and am by no means an expert. I find that it lubes well for daily carry. Coating the inside and out provides good protection and easy cleaning. In AZ sweat and dust are prime concerns. Easy wipe down and provides lube sufficient for combat use. No evidence of any sweat damage to metal parts of FA.

Although it is not intended to be supplemented with any other lube, I nonetheless put a little lube /hinge grease on my friction points if going to the range for an extended shooting session. Same for my expensive Trap guns, I use Frog Lube all over, but still put hinge grease on the pivot points. I think I would do this for all my FAs if shooting them at the range or in competition for high volume sessions.

The key to frog lube is to heat up the firearm and apply to all surfaces while warm using a heat gun or hair drier. They say you only have to do this the first time. Be careful heating up your glock or other like guns so you do not warp the plastic. I heat the inside metal parts just enough to melt the lube and then wipe all clean once dry.

The stuff worked well in Afghanistan to keep enough lube on weapons but not make it a sand magnet.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:19 AM   #4
BigTex308

Re: Q on Froglube

I use it on everything I own. But on my 1911 slide rails I use high heat wheel bearing grease. And I use the same on my AR BCGs. Other than that its frog lube everywhere

Ike
Old July 8, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Dragline45

I hear good thing's but I still say gun grease is just about the best thing you can use for lubrication and wear resistance. I cant see froglube resisting wear on aluminum framed guns where you have much harder steel contacting much softer aluminum.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Water-Man

On a 1911 I would use the paste.

Heat the gun first, then apply the paste liberally with a brush. Let it sit for awhile and then wipe it off with a rag.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Noreaster

I have used it on my 1911 for about a year now and I can't believe how well it works. Follow the instructions and you will not be disappointed. I'm very happy with Froglube.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:33 AM   #8
AK103K

I dont believe Frog Lube and petroleum based lubes are compatible, or so they claim.

Ive been using it for a couple of years now on pretty much everything I shoot. I use the liquid for cleaning, and the paste as a lube. Seems to work as advertised. As was mentioned, you may need to use a copper solvent occasionally, if thats an issue. Its also a little pricey compared to others.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Carne Frio

I have heard good things about Froglube, but am not a user.
Looks like Froglube has a competitor, Fireclean.
http://www.cleanergun.com/

Last edited by Carne Frio; July 8, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
TopMCITWS

Have been using frog lube for exclusively on all of my firearms (1911s, revolvers and lever action) and have not encountered any problems at all. Without question, it meets my needs.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

I can tell you, the stuff is wretched for storing guns. I treated a 1911 with it, and when I pulled it from the safe two months later, the action was gummed up something awful.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Noreaster

Tom did you heat the gun, apply and then wipe it off. The only problem I've seen is a thick application without heating the metal and wiping it down. I've had good luck with storage and FL. I have a couple of Glocks that I use allot and the one with FL shows much less wear and the overall condition is better.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #13
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I have heard god things about Froglube
It wouldn't be difficult at all to "hear a lot of good things" about every lube in history from bacon fat to CLP to transmission fluid.

Clean it. Lube it. Doesn't matter much what you use.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 8, 2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Tom did you heat the gun, apply and then wipe it off.
I didn't heat it. There was no indication that I should have. I applied it like any other CLP.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
AK103K

Quote:
I can tell you, the stuff is wretched for storing guns. I treated a 1911 with it, and when I pulled it from the safe two months later, the action was gummed up something awful.
Ive havent encountered that with FrogLube (so far), but I have with some others, specifically Eezox, which I was using pretty much exclusively as a finish up to cleaning a few years back. I rarely use it now, except for things I want to "rust proof".

I suspect as with many things, people tend to over do it when applying stuff, and not just FrogLube. I think thats what gave WD40 such a bad rap. I dont leave the gun loaded with the stuff, just a slightly "wet" look when done. I wipe all the excess off the outside with one of the supplied towels, and so far, so good.

As far as the heat thing, early on, on the bottles they recommended you leave the gun in direct sunlight awhile, or use a hair dryer to warm it up before using FrogLube, but the last four of five bottles Ive bought show no mention of it. The last time I was there, their web site had one sentence recommending heating it just for long term storage. I did heat them at first, but no longer bother, and have had no troubles not doing it.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:32 PM   #16
BigTex308

Re: Q on Froglube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I didn't heat it. There was no indication that I should have. I applied it like any other CLP.
Frog lube has a little more work that goes into the application than traditional CLPs

Ike
Old July 8, 2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Frog lube has a little more work that goes into the application than traditional CLPs
Neither the labeling nor the factory rep who recommended the product mentioned heating as a necessary step. There are other products that do just as good a job without requiring it.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:00 PM   #18
sigcurious

Another satisfied FL user here. I can't say it's any better than other stuff, but I can't say its any worse. Works well for my purposes.

Out of curiosity, Im going to have to shoot my 1911, it's been stored with a healthy coat of FL for awhile now. However, on initial application I drenched it and heated it. On the bright side, the coating stays put and works well as a rust inhibitor. I live in the desert now, but I used to live on the beach with no issues.

I suspect, at least initially, the heat application is recommended(it was in my instructions), is that it flushes out the FL/old lube mix.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:04 PM   #19
AK103K

This should answer any questions.

http://www.froglube.com/FL13/Directions.htm

One thing I neglected to mention was the "solvent". I tried it when it first showed up, and found it didnt seem to do anything at all. When I cleaned the gun again using the "CLP", the patches came out black, like the gun had not been cleaned at all. That was the last time I used it.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:37 PM   #20
Noreaster

I recently did some training at the Sig Academy and the instructors highly recommended Froglube. They had some other "green" liquid CLP at the cleaning table that we could use but the Instructors all had FL on their weapons.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:49 PM   #21
armsmaster270

Sacramento Police Dept. has gone to it at their range. Seems to work good.
Old July 11, 2013, 02:29 AM   #22
RsqVet

I am a big believer in grease for any sliding surface of ANY semi auto. Thinner lubes simply do not appear to offer the advantages that a grease product offers for long term wear protection.

Others may have other opinions or report no problems with xyz thin oil, clp or whatever but then remeber army artic warfare protocol used to be to run the guns with no lube... And they ran well for awhile but certainly had accelerated wear.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:43 PM   #23
toolguy2006

FWIW:

I tried Frog Lube because of the claim that it dried after application, which helps to cut down on how much "crud" that it attracts. That said, it does feel a little "gummy" until the gun heats up from the first few rounds down range. After using it for some time now, I have noticed that my Glock 19 is not developing some of the common wear marks that typically occur from use on Glocks. Most notably, the "smile" over the top of the barrel. I have roughly two thousand rounds through my Glock, and the top of the barrel looks like new, which makes me think that the lube is really working.

Also, and this is to be taken for what its worth, there is a tactical weapons rep that I know who gets to play with full auto, and suppressed weapons through his business. His crew ran out of their preferred lubricant before a demo at some point, and tried some Frog Lube because that was what was available. They were so impressed with the performance, that they switched lubricants on all their weapons. He claims that nothing he has ever tried stands up to the abuse that Frog Lube will.

Lastly, when I called Sig Sauer to ask what lubricant they wanted in my brand new 716 patrol rifle, their tech support rep answered, "TW25B, or Frog Lube. Those are the only two lubricants that we recommend."

Last edited by toolguy2006; July 23, 2013 at 07:51 PM.