The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 20, 2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Skitter

Pistol Carbines

Wasn't sure where to put this?

I keep seeing pistol carbines out there like those offered through Hi-Point and Kel-tek. What is the purpose? Other than shooting your favorite pistol loads in rifle form I don't see much more of a use? Why not just buy a rifle?
Old March 20, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Quote:
Why not just buy a rifle?
Because I can't find .223 for less than $0.75 a round whereas I can still find 9mm for $0.25 a round.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 20, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
loose_holster_dan

where are you finding 9mm for $0.25/round!?
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 20, 2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Skitter

Ok, so if the current market was a little better, and there was more ammo available, why would somebody go for one vs. the other? Carbines can't exactly be used for hunting can they due to ammo types?
Old March 20, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
where are you finding 9mm for $0.25/round!?
Lol, I said I can, I didn't say I do. If I happen to be the lucky son of a gun that gets to the Wally World first than yea I can get it for that price. Highest I'm paying right now is $0.30 a round for 9mm. But everyone is sold out anyway. Of course .223 sold out a long time ago.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

One reason is the ability to carry spare ammo in spare magazines that fits both the sidearm and the long gun. (Like the old west. The Winchester lever action carbines were chambered in .44-40. Colt eventually offered the 1873 Single Action Army in .44-40 so cowpokes could shoot the same ammo in their six guns and saddle guns.

For me, another reason is that I shoot at an older indoor range. Rifle calibers aren't allowed, because they damage the backstop. Pistol caliber carbines are allowed.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
so if the current market was a little better, and there was more ammo available, why would somebody go for one vs. the other?
If wishes were fishes you mean?

Well typically a pistol chambered carbine itself is a lot less money than say an AR (though there are some very expensive ones too).

Take the Keltec for example. If I bought the Glock version and was myself a Glock pistol owner, wa la. I don't have to buy a bunch new mags and I have a carbine good at medium distance. The added velocity you get out of that MUCH longer barrel means that puny 9mm hits with some authority. There was a time too that pistol ammo was a lot easier to find than rifle ammo, and still is for a lot of folks. That's another part of the appeal. That and now instead of needing a rifle caliber and a pistol caliber all you need to do is shop/reload for one caliber. That's kind nice.

And how about pistol chambered carbines can just be fun? Sometimes it's okay to just have fun when shooting. You don't need to be tactical 24/7.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #8
tahunua001

it shoots like a rifle but is cheaper to shoot like a pistol.

still kills bad guys and still helps keep you sharp for hunting season...

a better question might be, what reason is there to NOT buy one.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Don't forget about the lever carbines from marlin and others as well. Shooting a 357 from a carbine is pleasant, keeps ammo needs the same as your 357 HD gun, CAN be used for deer in many states.

Going up one to 44 makes it even better
Old March 20, 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
zincwarrior

Indeed. One could also argue that if one wanted a rifle they'd get a real bolt action rifle, not a .223 tacticool.

Pistol calibers offer a nice alternative for the reasons already mentioned.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Skitter

This I understand completely, I was trying to justify my want for a .40 carbine by defining a purpose

I was looking at the Hipoint just because everybody says they are reliable as all get out even if a bit ugly, and this would only be a "fun gun"
Old March 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
k511

i do not have a dedicated pistol carbine, but i do have a carbine upper for my g17 which i really enjoy...i dont shoot really shoot it past 100 yards, but its fun and cheap...my wife also really enjoys it..
Old March 20, 2013, 12:08 PM   #13
iblong

My gal wanted a small rifle that handels well and more power than 22lr.
She bought herself an old style hp carbine.She loves the thing no recoil reasonably accurate and as I've found just plain fun to shoot,when she lets me.I can tell you it hits steel plates out to 75yds with no problem and hits them hard.Its her varmint gun and sits next to the patio door 365.
We get coyote's comming right up to the house,and she wont shoot my 223.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:54 PM   #14
zincwarrior

Quote:
My gal wanted a small rifle that handels well and more power than 22lr.
She bought herself an old style hp carbine.She loves the thing no recoil reasonably accurate and as I've found just plain fun to shoot,when she lets me.I can tell you it hits steel plates out to 75yds with no problem and hits them hard.Its her varmint gun and sits next to the patio door 365.
We get coyote's comming right up to the house,and she wont shoot my 223.
There you go. They also tend to be a good bit lighter than full on rifles, which is excellent for fun plinking, as well as for those with lighter builds to use.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Skitter

Good to know

Only finding a couple brands at the moment, anybody got a better list of companies that offer the pistol carbines? Having a hard time getting google to return the right results...
Old March 20, 2013, 01:09 PM   #16
k511

i think colt makes an AR style 9mm...hi-point carbine, Kel-Tec sub 2000, ive also seen one by taurus...ive gotten to try both the high point and the KelTec, both in 9mm and both a great time...
Old March 20, 2013, 01:10 PM   #17
Skitter

Yeah right now due to it just being a "Fun Gun" I'm leaning more towards Hi-Point, lot's of good reviews on it so far
Old March 20, 2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Nathan

Ideally, they would make superb HD guns. Can you imagine a 45 ACP carbine with an 8" barrel, suppressor , compact buttstock, ~600 lumen light, Trijicon RMR optic, ~30 rd mags...??

That would be the ultimate!....., but with SBR and suppressor laws as they are, nobody is making THAT gun, so we have AR pistols and huge PCC's.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:26 PM   #19
elDiabloLoco

Another valid "pistol caliber rifle" reason is to be able to get some short range rifle practice in at indoor ranges that allow pistol caliber rifles.

A rifle is easier to hit varmints with than a pistol[for me anyway]. I like having something that is good at the intermediate range, but peters out faster than a deer cartridge. Shotgun slugs fit into that category, but a pistol carbine has a lot less recoil by comparison. Shot some custom 410 slugs that were close, but still more recoil than a pistol carbine.

Being able to get a carbine chambered for 9mm[or whatever] also allows single bulk buys for plinking. [Well, once upon a time....and maybe again one day ]

Some others....
Beretta CX4 storm(9mm, .40, .45) MSRP ~900 bux
Just Right Carbines(9mm, ???) about 750....never seen one in the wild
Thureon defense carbine(9mm, ???) price????

Caracal is supposed to be introducing a 9mm carbine this year, but that may be delayed by their re-working the pistol line in their recall.

And a variety of AR's and AR conversions. Never looked into those much.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:34 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Moved to appropriate Rifle forum... "The Art of the Rifle: General"...

Brent
Old March 20, 2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Skitter

Sorry, like I said not sure where it was supposed to go as technically they are pistol carbines
Old March 20, 2013, 01:50 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No sweat... But it will get much more traffic geared to the topic you posed...

Brent
Old March 20, 2013, 02:09 PM   #23
chrisp51

I put a slidefire stock on my RRA 9mm AR and it rocks! Of course the ammo shortage has put a stop to that practice.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:38 PM   #24
Wreck-n-Crew

The longer barrel is better than a short barrel for accuracy and its not so long that it is hard to maneuver through your home for self defense purposes and as mentioned before they often use the same clip as the pistol like the Hi-Point.

Swat uses the mp5....mostly in 9mm.....but some in sig.357 , 40 s&w and 10m.

The capability to have high capacity in a round that doesn't over penetrate makes it ideal from a tactical standpoint and great for home defense.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:53 AM   #25
Tom Matiska

Pistol rounds out of a rifle barrel are very polite/stealthy.... hunting weapon of choice when I don't want to scare the milk out of the farmers cows.... more energy past 50 yards than a pistol has at the muzzle..... more hits past 50 yards than a pistol..... you can play with them at the range while you're waiting for your real rifle to cool down ..... kiddie level recoil.... If you don't have a pistol caliber carbine you don't know what you're missing....