The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 1, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
summerman

New Browning BLR 308 stainless

If you were following my other thread this is old news. I drove 300 miles round trip for a new Browning BLR (Browning Lever Action) in 308 stainless. I love it. It is a little bigger feeling than the Marlin 1936 30-30 I just sold but it is just as light. It has nice open sights, much more precise sight window, and the finish in and out is perfect. I gave it a thorough inspection at home and there are no, get that no imperfections that I can see. $869 is a lot but I think its worth it. Gear driven, twisting lock bolt, glass smooth receiver, chamber, barrell, etc. High gloss stock. (don't like thinking of banging that up.)

I shot it today, shot great, a little high at 75 yards. Will sight it in eventually more thoroughly but I was surprised on how light the kick was. I'm a big guy so that helps. I shot 150 fusion bla bla... cartridges. I really like it. If your wondering about getting one, you will not be disappointed. Put a nice Browning leather strap on and off to the woods in am. Won't take a shot past 80 yards or so as I don't have scope and haven't sighted past 75 yards. Again, thanks for all the info on 308's and lever actions etc.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Husqvarna

yeah I have already decided that this will be my next rifle

straight stock or pistol grip?

it will be great for driven game/flushing kind of hunts for me. and the benefit of having an ambidextrious loaner rifle (I'm shot LH but none of my friends do)

it shot a little bit high you said but did it group well? 1 moa?

all new ones takedown?
Old December 3, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
summerman

mine is pistol grip, non take down.

I can't say enough about this rifle.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Scrumbag

They are certainly popular in the non-Military cartridges around here for hunting and they do seem well built.

Enjoy your shooting.

Where are you based Husqvarna? I'm in Switzerland myself.

ATB,

Scrummy
Old December 5, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Husqvarna

Sweden, we don't have any calibre restrictions but alotta red tape when it comes to guns.

They are probably gonna ban semi autos now.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Scrumbag

Ah, semi auto rifles. I'm from the UK originally, new concept to me until moving here!

I feel your pain on tightening regulation...

Scrummy
Old December 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
SCDeac82

Congrats on the new rifle! The SS finish does look great!
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson