The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 11, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1
DeadPatriot

Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire - Documentary

Good day,

I'm new to your board so I hope you don't mind me introducing myself to you in this way.

My partner and I are Emmy award winning producers from Northern California. Two years ago we started working on a film about street gangs invading rural California. Due to my repeated contact with gang members, it was recommend that I obtain a CCW permit - which I did. The process led to me learn about the backward gun laws of California compared to the rest of the Union. Through research I discovered that there has never been a positive documentary about the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership in America.

Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire will be such a film. Supported by the CalGuns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation this PTV/PBS documentary will look at how California is the front line in gun control battle. The film will look at the current assault weapon ban proposals in California and Washington, DC, as well as, CCW permitting across the USA.

Here are a few links to learn more about the film:

http://kck.st/OllEYn (Our Kickstarter funding campaign where you can see the trailer)

http://www.AssaultedFilm.com (The project website)

http://www.examiner.com/article/docu...rms-under-fire (An article from the Examiner)
Old September 11, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Skadoosh

I look forward to viewing your documentary film.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

Hello all,
As a member for some time here, I would like to chime in and say that Kris Koenig is the real deal. I am proud to be on the creative team as the composer for the score.

This project is generating a lot of excitement in the Second Amendment community. Please help if you can by pledging at the link on Kickstarter. Note that your credit card is not charged until and unless the funding goal has been met. Thanks.

Christopher Hoffman
Old September 11, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4
CowTowner

Looks like a winner to me. I'm in.
And thanks for taking on this project. It's definitely about time.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 11, 2012, 05:14 PM   #5
BGutzman

Sounds like good news to me...
Old September 11, 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

At the risk of rendering this "invisible", we're going to Sticky this one for awhile.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
DeadPatriot

Thank you for the sticky!
Old September 20, 2012, 11:29 AM   #8
maestro pistolero

Folks, we all whine about negative media attention, and rightly so.

Well, here is a rare opportunity to help present a truly balanced view of 2A rights, the history and relevance in modern society, and show the dire consequences of failing to protect the right.

This director and creative team can present this story at a very high level of production value and credibility.

For patriots like us, it's is a chance to influence public opinion through KPBS affiliates and film festivals, reaching an audience in a way that can't be accomplished through any other means.

Please pledge your support at whatever level you are comfortable. The clock is ticking on the kickstarter campaign. If we don't reach the funding goal needed to get the film made, you risk nothing.

Please do what you can. Thanks.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:34 AM   #9
maestro pistolero

This project has the blessing of the Second Amendment foundation and Calguns who have already donated generously. Now at almost $45,000 with only 45 hours to go with the goal of 65,000. If the goal isn't met all the pledges are cancelled. Please at least take a close look at this and do what you can, but do it soon please.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
SKILCZ

Anti-gun-control / 2A Film Needs Fundraising by Fri

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/assaulted/assaulted

New film looks like it would be good and like it is deserving of support. Please chip in if you can. They need to reach their fundraising goal by Fri or it doesn't get funded.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Incitatus

Freedom Loving California Gun Owners Need Your Help!

Only 36 hours remaining until deadline! Your contributions are needed to launch the production of a new documentary about gun rights and civil rights.
Link here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/assaulted/assaulted .

What is this movie about?

This film will reveal how California is the front line in the civil rights battle between public safety and the 2nd Amendment. When the subject of California’s gun control laws are discussed, rarely are they associated with the civil rights movement and the quest for equal rights for all. This film will compare the historical aspects of gun control targeting the indigenous tribes of North America and emancipated slaves through the Jim Crow era to today’s laws that favor elitists and denies the rights guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment to the most vulnerable in our society. The film takes a critical look at the original intent of the current California guns laws in contrast with crime and murder statistics before and since their implementation; and compares these laws to those of the adjacent states. Story threads also look at the myriad of concealed carry permitting processes across the state to illustrate that not all residents are treated equal.

A Few Threads of the Film

The threads below will be woven with current events in California and Nationally that are creating demands for new assault weapons legislation and ammunition sales restrictions. Are these law in the best interest of public safety or infringement of our civil rights?

We will seek out interviews with leading constitutional historians, anti-violence leaders, gun rights activists, law makers and gun owners to create a film that will start a meaningful conversation, not add to rhetoric.

Battle of Athens
When the 2nd Amendment is discussed, the concept of the citizens’ rights to defend themselves against a corrupt or tyrannical government is sure to be included. The idea of the people rising up against the government here in the USA seems farfetched. Just the stuff of a Hollywood film, but it has happened.

In 1946, returning GIs from WWII faced off with a corrupt county sheriff and his cronies in McMinn County, Tennessee. The film will look at the causes of the conflict, and how the soldiers and the citizens restored the rule of law to their county by the applied use of the 2nd Amendment.

Deacons for Defense
The civil rights movement of the 1960’s is always associated with the nonviolent actions of Martin Luther King, Jr. and civil rights workers that spread out across the South. Rarely mentioned are the “Deacons for Defense” and how a handful of armed black men protected the civil rights workers, broke the stranglehold of the Ku Klux Klan in Louisiana and secured civil rights for all citizens in the South.

Guns for the White Man only
Gun laws from the beginning of the United States of America have always favored the wealthy white man. The first laws written barred Native Americans and Blacks (freed or enslaved) from possessing firearms and continued through the Jim Crow era.

World War II saw gun confiscations precede forced interment of Japanese-American citizens just because of the fear of war empowered the white man to do so. The fact that no German-Americans or Italian-Americans had their firearms taken just supports that gun laws have been written for the white majority.

The California Gun Control Act of 1968 has been said to be a knee-jerk reaction to the Black Panther’s use of loaded rifles in peaceful protest to bring attention to white bigotry in the Oakland police department and abuses by its white police officers against black citizens. Even today, the majority of Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permits issued in California are given to white males.

This racial trend in gun control has also jumped the color barrier to only favor the rich who can financially afford their 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and secure self-defense CCW permits through political campaign donations while the single mother in the inner city can’t legally acquire an affordable gun to protect her family.

Is this legit?

Yes, endorsed by : Calguns (see post #129 in this thread and announcement here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...ement.php?f=71

CGF - see email blast sent today 10/02 http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...a&e=7f060602eb

SAF (see their front page linking to the kickstarter campaign http://www.saf.org/

Who is this movie director guy and what's it all about? Read this thread and kickstarter page.

Also see articles/interviews:

-an article about the film http://www.examiner.com/article/docu...rms-under-fire

-GOA RADIO (the interview can be found on the last 1/3 of the program)http://www.stickam.com/viewMedia.do?mId=193658879 or https://www.yousendit.com/download/T...Q3Q1aWIwZXNUQw

-Talking Guns with Kate Krueger http://katekruegertalkingguns.com/ta...9232012_H1.mp3

-The Freedom and Firearms Radio http://www.knzr.com/getpodcast.aspx?...40/5093993.mp3

-"The Blackman with a Gun" podcast http://kennblanchard.com/288-the-urban-shooter-podcast

OK, I'm a red blooded American who wants to help this initiative started by my California gun owning brothers and have pledged whatever $$$ I can, but what else can I do?

First Get the word out! Use social media Facebook and Twitter. Printable flyers (use responsibly) here: Assualted Kickstarter Flyer: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...0&d=1347918189

How Kickstarter works:

Thousands of creative projects are funding on Kickstarter at any given moment. Each project is independently created and crafted by the person behind it. The filmmakers, musicians, artists, and designers you see on Kickstarter have complete control and responsibility over their projects. They spend weeks building their project pages, shooting their videos, and brainstorming what rewards to offer backers. When they're ready, creators launch their project and share it with their community.

Every project creator sets their project's funding goal and deadline. If people like the project, they can pledge money to make it happen. If the project succeeds in reaching its funding goal, all backers' credit cards are charged when time expires. If the project falls short, no one is charged. Funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing.

People have pledged $47,600 to fund "Assaulted" but 36 hours until deadline the goal of $65,000 is yet to be achieved. We know the economic times are tough and you every dollar you earn matters for your family...but please think about how important this project may be for changing minds and bringing the truth to the people who have been lied to by the Bradys and gun hating liberal media. Please go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/assaulted/assaulted and pledge any amount form $1 to $10,000.
Thank you!
Old October 3, 2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Moved two above posts into thread. Some incorrect context results.
Old October 3, 2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Incitatus

We need your help guys! Only 30 hours until deadline to start funding the most important movie for gun rights and the Second Amendment ever made in the USA!

Please show your support for gun rights by putting your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 3, 2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Just a wee bit over the top
Old October 3, 2012, 05:02 PM   #14
MLeake

You can't get $20k from the NRA, SWAT mag, etc?

Grass-roots is fine, but isn't necessarily fast. What about bigger backers?
Old October 3, 2012, 05:49 PM   #15
maestro pistolero

The problem with getting funding from the NRA is that the film would lose credibility with one of its primary intended target audiences, PBS. Director Kris Koenig has the connections, knowledge and ability to get play from certain NPR affiliates. This is partly why this is such a unique opportunity.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; October 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
maestro pistolero

It may be obvious, but contributors are not bound to the increments laid out on the rewards table. You can contribute any dollar amount amount you wish.

This has turned in to a real nail biter.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Staff

Okay, I just upped my pledge. Who'll join me?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 4, 2012, 12:24 AM   #18
maestro pistolero

Over 61k and almost a day left. This just might make it! WOOOOT!
Old October 4, 2012, 10:12 AM   #19
AlabamaFamilyMan

Keep on giving

I just looked, and the pledged amount is at $65,676, with 13 hours to go!

I'm sure this is not enough to just stop, though.

AFM
Old October 4, 2012, 10:25 AM   #20
maestro pistolero

Fantastic! Truly an impressive grass roots effort.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:50 AM   #21
Incitatus

It's funded! We did it. $66,000 as of 8:45 this morning. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/assaulted/assaulted
This movie funded 100% from a grassroots initiative WILL BE MADE AND SHOWED ON PBS. Thank you all who helped.
Wooohoo!
Old October 4, 2012, 05:44 PM   #22
maestro pistolero

Heads up, folks. Some people have pulled out and the total dropped by 1k awhile ago. It's still over the goal, but until closing it is at risk of running a deficit and everything would be lost.

We could really use a little insurance. If you haven't had a chance to help yet, or would like to match or double, it would be very helpful.

Old October 4, 2012, 09:41 PM   #23
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

As I post this, there are 2 hours to go. The pot stands at $69,480 with 913 backers (including me). It is estimated that only slightly over half of the folks who donated are from CA. That means that this is a nationwide project.

Kickstarter/Amazon take 9% off the top for providing the service. We really need to get to $71,000 to ensure that Kris gets the full $65K in start-up funds.

If you have already donated, thank you. If you haven't, why not? Even a dollar or two will help, if everyone donates!

This is you chance to do something positive towards helping the RKBA.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:46 PM   #24
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

...and as the clock counted down to 42 seconds, someone slipped in a $1000 pledge!

The tally at 0 seconds was: 925 backers for $71,140!

Great Googly Moogly!!! Houston? We have a film to make!!
Old October 5, 2012, 10:24 AM   #25
CowTowner

As a CA ex-patriot, I'm so looking forward to seeing this film when completed. And yes, I donated.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy