The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 2, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
DanThaMan

Ruger 10/22 Aftermarket Upgrades

A tragedy has occured in my shooting career. Due to a full spinal fusion, for an entire year I will be allowed to only shoot .22 lr / .22 short caliber guns. My AR will have to collect dust in the gun cabinet and my Ruger 10/22 is taking the spotlight. However, I have not made any aftermarket investments in it yet, so it's only equipped with the hard wood factory stock with the band.

So i have a couple questions for you .22 lr shooters out there (specifically Ruger 10/22 shooters):

1) Have you ever seen or heard of someone put a bipod on the Predator Raptor stock? Have you done it yourself? To me it looks very ergonomic, and it free floats the barrel, but it just doesn;t look like a stock that one would attack a bipod to. This is the stock, let me know if you agree:

There's this one with a bipod, but does that look right? Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject of bipods

2) Bull barrels. I love the way they look and nearly all the appealing aftermarket stocks are fitted for a .920 inch diameter barrel. My question is whether fluted and non fluted really makes that much of a difference, and to what extent is accuracy improved, if at all?

3) How effective is a compensator? I know the kick of a .22 lr is nearly non existent, but they would help marginally with quick follow up shots and they do looks really cool .
Compensator:

One equipped with compensator:

4) My budget doesn't allow for it yet on top of everything else, but what is a good trigger pull weight of the 10/22? I want a match grade trigger job done, does anyone know good places or websites which offer this?

That's about it... thanks in advance everyone!
Old July 2, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
ThunderStorm

Trigger = http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/
Old July 2, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Twoface1911

If you still want it to "feel" like your Ar-15 get an Archangel stock. http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/
Old July 2, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Sixer

Dan, you need to check out www.rimfirecentral.com

Great people over there and you will find more info on your 10/22 than you can imagine. Worth a look

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Homer-Sm

Follow Sixer's advice and plan to do plenty of reading. Great website for the 10/22.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
sholling

1) the predator would not be my first choice for a bipod. I prefer a thumbhole sporter. These discontinued Boyd's Ross Thumbhole and Fajen Sporter stocks show up now and then on ebay. Its a far more versatile stock and there is room for a bipid.

2) Until you get into high-end barrels 920 doesn't make your rifle more accurate. There are some seriously accurate $120-150 factory contour barrels offered by Green Mountain and E. R. Shaw.

What a $150 920 barrel does for you is make you more accurate because the weight of the barrel will help you steady down your shot. Now as you get into $200 Kidd barrels you will have the potential for more accuracy. It's just a better barrel but unless you're a heck of a shot you probably won't see it. There are also pretensioned lightweight barrels like the THM from Volquartsen ($300) that are scary accurate.

Flutes do nothing for accuracy. All they do is reduce weight.

3) A compensator on a 22lr is there purely for looks.

4) There are kits ranging from $30-130 for the trigger. Or Clark Custom will do a decent trigger job for $65.
Old July 3, 2009, 01:48 PM   #7
GuateShooter

a usefull upgrade its the tactical solutions extended magazine realise, works great
Old July 3, 2009, 02:44 PM   #8
comn-cents

Im upgrading mine right know.
Seach the web the info on 10/22's is endless.
Good luck and enjoy that 10/22
Old July 3, 2009, 06:22 PM   #9
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Flutes do nothing for accuracy. All they do is reduce weight.
Agreed, at least in the .22LR chambering. I've heard that in higher power (i.e. higher heat) application, fluting can help keep the barrel more cool and accurate, but you're just not gonna be able to generate that kind of warp with a .22.

Quote:
A compensator on a 22lr is there purely for looks.
Again, agreed. In fact, I doubt slapping a cheesy compensator on the end of a nice aftermarket bull barrel will accomplish anything but reducing accuracy. I'll bet the crown on those high end barrels is way better than the one on the compensator.

Sholling, what's the scope on your bottom 10/22? It looks like a great match for a 10/22 with bull barrel.
Old July 3, 2009, 06:27 PM   #10
sholling

+1 on the mag release. I like the Tactical Solutions.

A great place to get parts is Shooter's Discount.
Old July 4, 2009, 12:52 PM   #11
bubbaturbo

Quote:
I'll bet the crown on those high end barrels is way better than the one on the compensator.
I don't know much about compensators but would the bullet even make contact with one?
Old July 4, 2009, 01:12 PM   #12
comn-cents

bubbaturbo you are correct they don't even touch it.
Old July 4, 2009, 01:14 PM   #13
jman841

no it wouldn't make contact with the bullet (at least i do not believe so), however, it changes the distribution of the gases coming out of the barrel. A Crown is important because it distributes the gases coming out of the barrel properly. If you have a compensator it changes the flow of the gases and may reduce accuracy as opposed to a high end target crown.
Old July 4, 2009, 01:26 PM   #14
sholling

No it does not touch.
Old July 4, 2009, 01:39 PM   #15
blume357

That's the same bi-pod that comes with the Charger...

kind of neat how it works in that it connects to that little screwed on adjustable strap pin and then tightens up snug.
Old July 4, 2009, 01:52 PM   #16
Zidru_ret.

here is a nice lookin setup

Dan,

You might check out the setup shown on this web site: http://www.eabco.com/102207.htm It looks good although I believe the stock is made only for the .920 barrel.
Old July 4, 2009, 02:34 PM   #17
comn-cents

brakes/suppressor don’t hurt accuracy.
Surly doesn’t hurt the accuracy on millions of AR,s...
Not to mention all the competition rifles out there
Old July 4, 2009, 02:37 PM   #18
Composer_1777

Nutnfancy (youtube) has some good videos on the 10/22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbsc0oU_t0
Old July 4, 2009, 02:41 PM   #19
comn-cents

Composer_1777
Nutnfancy or what ever his name it scares me.
He's out shooting and saying since he's out in the woods he doesn't need to where safety glasses. He seems clueless to me..
Old July 4, 2009, 03:22 PM   #20
Composer_1777

lol. he seems pretty safe in most of his vids, or maybe i'm not paying attenton to safety...

Tags
aftermarket , compensator , ruger , stock , upgrades