The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 26, 2006, 11:39 PM   #51
Lycanthrope

Yes, criminals tend to be bad...but lucky shots....

Would you rather be good or lucky?

I'm currently striving for both......
Old January 26, 2006, 11:57 PM   #52
pickpocket

Depends...if I'm getting shot AT then I'd rather be lucky...

If I'm doing the shooting I'd go for Good.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 28, 2006, 01:46 PM   #53
Ares45

Lee Malvo, Columbine H.S., JKF, Reagan attempt. The attempted assassination of Truman at the Blair House by two PuertoRican nationals armed with semi-auto 9mm pistols killed or wounded a half dozen secret service agents before they were put down. Two of the agents were expert marksman and competetion pistol shooters.

All impressive shooting by mostly amateurs . The Reagan attempted assassination especially. John W. Hinckley Jr., by all accounts had no previous firearms training and took on a dozen well trained secret service agents and a crowd of police and reporters. With a six shot revolver he hit: POTUS in the lung, 1 SS agent, 1 police officer, and of course Jim Brady.

Never underestimate your opponent. Ever. Sometimes they just get lucky.
Old January 31, 2006, 03:19 AM   #54
KNJoe

Many wonderful points have been made, I don't think there's any more to say on the subject of opinion.

Only posting here to throw out some numbers. Last year, known American civilian crimescenes revealed a 2/11 proficiency by the so-called 'bad guy' and only 5/11 by LEO, at an average of ten metres. I'm not sure whether I can post detailed studies of military happenstance, so I won't.

Nice thread.
Old January 31, 2006, 03:31 AM   #55
BigFunWMU

I am a strong believer in good luck through good planning. Also, I assume that anyone who points a gun at me in a threatening manner (as opposed to idiocy, which is another matter; shot at vs yelled at...alot), knows how to use it.

That said, my control over my luck is limited at best. My control over my skill level is much greater. If the BG makes a decision to put my life in danger, and I decide to end that danger, I would really like to stop him before he hurts me. The better my skill is, the less luck I need to do that.