The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Shotgun693

Clean .223 Loads

I only intend to use'm for plinking, likely a 55 to 60 gr bullet.
I'd like a real clean load with decent accuracy.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2
elkslayer4x5

Kind of a tough request, each load will behave differntly in each differnt rifle, thats why we have load books, basic reciepes for powder and bullet combinations. Each rifle will find one variation that will be most accurate, which you'll have to find using some method of load developement. Sorry, can't offer any magical formula for an accurate load.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

If you are willing to plink with much reduced loads—not much more powerful than a 22 rimfire—you can use 4 grains of Hodgdon's Trail Boss with a 55 grain bullet. This subsonic load is on their web site. Trail Boss is ultra clean burning, IME. I used some in .45 ACP in a single-shot barrel as an experiment, and the fired cases came out looking new. Shiny and carbon-free brass on the inside as well as out.

If you want a full power load for a gas operated gun, you might look at Hodgdon's CFE 223 powder. That will at least keep the copper fouling down. Their load data site has the information.

For plinking cost, the Ramshot powders are typically most economical. The X-terminator powder should do well for you as a plinker starting at around 21.5 grains for 60 grain bullets and 22.5 grains for 55 grain bullets. Choosing Ramshot X-terminator rather than the slower burning Ramshot TAC will not get you to quite as high velocities, but will let you use a bit less per round without the pressure dropping to where the burn gets dirtier. That's why I thought of it for plinking.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 13, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Wyoredman

Shotgun,

I am useing the CFE223 at 26gr (269 rounds /lb powder), CCI 450 primers and Evgladesammo.com 55 gr FMJ bullets for my plinking round. I can load them for about $0.18 per round. Very clean and the powder makes bore cleaning easy, easy! (you can do it cheaper with standard primers, but in my 18" SR556, the mag primers really help the velocities.)
Old September 13, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
bumnote

I've been extremely happy with Benchmark. It works with 50-80gr bullets, has been clean burning for me, measures incredibly well and the rounds I've loaded with it are the most consistently accurate.
This is from an 18" barrel with a 1:8 twist.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Wyoredman,

Just be aware that when you boost velocity with warmer primers it is because you are increasing the peak pressure by getting the powder burning faster so it's used more efficiently. Increasing powder charge to get to that same higher velocity will do much the same thing, except that because extra powder increases the down-barrel pressure as well as the peak pressure, it doesn't raise the peak pressure quite as much as the hotter primer does.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Wyoredman

Thanks Unclenick.

I was getting erratic velocities with CCI 400's. The CCI 450's really helped tighten my ES and SD along with the velocity increase. I don't think I was getting very consistant ignition with the 400's.

With the 26 gr CFE223 I am not seeing any pressure signs when used in my Ruger. Actually, I had to adjust the gas port because the brass was being ejected forward, not sideways.

You caution is noted and thanks again for the info.
Old September 14, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Interesting. CCI reformulated their magnum primers in 1989 for the older ball powder deterrents, but Western told me they aren't needed with their newer powders (more modern deterrent chemistry), which is why you don't need magnum primers with TAC and X-terminator, and so on (I didn't ask about the Accurate line). Sounds like CFE 223 is still using one of the old formulations, given the response you got.

Did you try deburring flash holes? That helped me with 2520 years ago.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:15 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Try some RL7 and RP 7 1/2 primers with a 55 grain fmj. Works for me.