The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 4, 2014, 09:08 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
The range I'm a member of allows pretty much anything you want, except for electronics and glass (and no clay targets on the centerfire ranges). You just have to clean up after yourself.

Some members adhere to the rules better than others, of course. If you don't watch your step on one of the 100 yard ranges, you'll shove pieces of computer cases through your foot.
Computers aren't electronics where you live?
Old July 4, 2014, 09:20 AM   #27
gyvel

And all of these posts illustrating a point I mentioned in another thread that there are some people who shouldn't be allowed to own guns, 2nd Amendment notwithstanding.
Old July 5, 2014, 03:32 AM   #28
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Computers aren't electronics where you live?

Guess you missed this part in bold:

Quote:
Some members adhere to the rules better than others, of course. If you don't watch your step on one of the 100 yard ranges, you'll shove pieces of computer cases through your foot. But, overall, the range remains fairly clean and hazard-free.
Old July 7, 2014, 05:53 PM   #29
cdoc42

Then there are some stories in the opposite direction.

I took a newbie to a State range where the rules are posted for everyone to read and follow. Picture a 5 position 100-yard rifle range with a 6 x 6 one target, 25 yard site set at about 30 degrees angle to the right of that range.
To avoid interfering with those at the rifle range, as well as not chancing anyone thinking we were somehow crossing in their line of fire by changing targets, I put as series of balloons up as targets for my friend. After he shot them all, and we called for a halt to the firing range, we cleaned up the mess, putting everything in the available trash cans. As we walked to our car we were called to the auto of the Game Commission officials who were policing the course. They (two of them) asked what we were doing. I explained everything as described above but they pointed out that the only targets allowed were paper and the balloons violated that rule. My friend got a fine for $125.

Another episode at this range involved 5 groups of strangers who were all fined when no one could identify the "range officer." The "rules" demanded any time such a group was in existence, someone needed to be assigned the job of "range officer" whom would be responsible to direct range etiquette.

It didn't matter that once the "officer" left, and new shooters arbitrarily arrived, there was no "rule" to direct these folks how the process was to be implemented. They all received a fine.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:19 PM   #30
Husqvarna

I put up new posts that marks the edges on the range-backstop, posted a big sign that said put up your targets between the posts, don't shoot at the posts, even had them painted all nice

comes back two days later and wouldn't you know it, all shot up
Old July 13, 2014, 06:26 PM   #31
g.willikers

A nearby range has one area with a shallow shooting area with an overhead roof, supported by large posts.
The posts have had to be occasionally replaced due to being shot up.
Old July 15, 2014, 06:38 AM   #32
FreedomUIC

I will share something we did to one of our friends at the range. He was always bragging about how he shot at 200 yards with his 30-30 Marlin and Scope.

Myself and another friend each had sniper grade laupa .338's we were shooting. After we got setup my friend said he had to visit the "Call of Nature".

We turned the "Dope on his Scope" about 15 klicks north and south. We get back and prepare to fire. While he is aiming at his target, I am shooting at his and my buddy was shooting at mine. Every time he shot, I shot a split second later. By the time the recoil allowed him to gain Sight of his target, there was the hole, sitting in the six ring..... He would adjust his scope accordingling and line up again. Again the shot was a little higher, 5 and 1/2 ring but was at 5:00 where before it was at 8:00....

This went on for about 1/2 hour until he finally started cussing his rifle. My buddy took it and set it back to the original setting we had written down and proceeded to drill three in a roll into the bull. Oh was he ****** off!!!!!!!!!!
We decided we had better tell him what we did before he tossed a cork, he hung his head looked up at us and called us Jackholes. Then he said started laughing so hard that we knew our turn would come. Still waiting....
Old July 15, 2014, 09:23 AM   #33
kajvid

Hey, Dennis-

Which range? Los Altos allows cans at the 40 yard range.

D. in Alameda
Old July 15, 2014, 11:35 AM   #34
buck460XVR

I always take extra targets along that I have printed out on my computer to give to folks that show up at the range with none. Don't know how many times I have had a dad show up with his young son and the boy's new gun to sight it in and all they have to shoot at is the cartridge box.

Yeah, folks shootin' at my targets would tick me off and I would politely ask them to stop. Have had it happen when I shoot bowlin' pins hung from a Sheppard's hook.(my favorite reactive target). Usually works. Never found gettin' into a argument at a gun range a good thing.