The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 4, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
bangbang777

Kicks VS Patternmaster

I am looking for a new choke for duck hunting and am torn betweek a Kicks High Flyer and a Patternmaster. WHAT TO DO???
Old January 5, 2010, 06:45 AM   #2
VaFisher

No compairing the two, patternmaster is the best by far for tite pattern. At fourty yards you should have a pattern the size of a paper plate using most any shot size to include buck shot.
Old February 7, 2010, 12:05 AM   #3
foghorn leghorn

patternmaster claims to catch the wad stopping it from overtaking the shot and messing up the load trajectory. I have one on my 11-87 and replaced my modified choke. The I.D. is larger than the modified, and the O.D. is exactly the same as the barrel. I dont believe it will tighten the shot like a traditional choke.
I was using the modified for 00 buck, and rifled slug (in a smooth bore). Other than the blast being diverted rear of the muzzle, I don't see any difference with the slug, of course. I thought it might shave some lead, but the cup just passes thru.
I have deemed this my all purpose hunting weapon in shotgun county. If I was
to designate a slugger, it would still go to my Ithaca model 37 with the deerslayer barrel. Got it in 1972, thanks mom.