The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2008, 03:58 PM   #1
grymster2007

Benchmade Mini-Griptillian?

I’m looking for a decent folding knife; a smaller one with maybe a 3” blade. No serrations. I like D2 as a blade material, but I’m not set on it. I kinda like the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I even like the black coating on the blade.

Anyone have experience with one? Any other suggestions?

Mini-Griptillian
Old January 14, 2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

I have one as a work knife.

They are a very good mid-low end knife.

They are very functional, durable, and definitely worth the money.
Old January 14, 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
kingudaroad

If you like small, I just bought a Boker Gamma. 2 1/4" blade and weighs a little over an ounce. Very sharp ceramic blade.

It does have its downsides though. You have to send it back to get it sharpened(although it is supposed to hold an edge for a long time without abuse), and the blade can break if abused or used to pry.

I love the light weight.

http://www.boker.de/us/index.php?c=3...s3=999&p=&pp=0
Old January 14, 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
grymster2007

Quote:
They are a very good mid-low end knife.

They are very functional, durable, and definitely worth the money.
A folding knife is another item that I've never had a decent copy of. I want something that I can use and beat up and not worry about. I like the looks and the blade material on this one.
Old January 14, 2008, 06:09 PM   #5
lanceman193

I researched as best I could for a month or so and decided the mini-grip was a good knife and a good price,I have been happy with mine.
Old January 14, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
YukonKid

i would go kershaw, they make a great knife, have the best customer service in the business and are available in all kinds. You can get a speed asisted version for ess then the mini griptillian, which i had, but got replaced by this

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=34

this has held its edge, is very fast opening and very durable. If you want to spend a lot of money check out the Strider folders, they are the best there is.
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 14, 2008, 11:53 PM   #7
AdamSean

Kershaw knives are good for the money, but I just don't like the weight. I prefer the light-weight combined with quality materials of Benchmade. I own a mini Ambush. I love it.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:38 PM   #8
grymster2007

OK; I did some research and now I’m really confused about knives. Actually, while blade materials can be confusing (even though I’ve had experience machining some of them), I’ve read enough now to at least get me to thinking about what I’m looking for.

While toughness and corrosion resistance are relatively important in any knife, I don’t require:
• pry-bar toughness
• absolutely superb corrosion resistance, as if I lived on the ocean

For my needs at least, more important are:
• edge durability
• ease of sharpening (I hate shipping stuff, so I want to do it myself)
• owning a decent, serviceable knife that won’t make me cry if something bad happens to it

So, I might get a few arguments to this (please bring ‘em on; that’s why I’m posting), but I think I’ve narrowed it down to ATS-34 or VG-10 for blade material.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:35 PM   #9
grymster2007

Anyone have any experience with these?

A.G. Russell Greased Light'n

Al mar Mini SERE 2000

Benchmade H&K Nitrous Blitz

Benchmade® 707 Sequel™ McHenry & Williams plain edge
Old January 23, 2008, 07:12 AM   #10
EricN

maybe this might help....

Grym,

Maybe this might help...

Not too long ago I was in the same boat. I wanted a decent knife that would not only replace my old spyderco delica but be a step up. It also had to have the following features:

a. would stay sharp
b. Id actually carry
c. wouldnt make me suicidal if I lost it (say under $100)
d. no liner locks (personal preference)

I settled on a benchmade mini griptilian with a sheepfoot blade and a thumb oval instead of a stud. The blade is made of 440c but I understand they improved the steel and then discontinued the model. So far the mini grip has performed and then some. Is it better than say my old delica? Well maybe... I do prefer the axis lock to the back lock on my delica but Im not sure it was worth the extra $35 (Im cheap). The blade seems to maintain an edge longer but I do make use of benchmades lifesharp service.

Hope this helps.

EricN
Old January 23, 2008, 01:15 PM   #11
grymster2007

The mini-grips I’ve found are made from D2. That’s a material I used to like, but after reading a bunch and consulting our old toolmaker (who’s made a fair number of knives) I get the distinct impression that it will take an edge, but not a particularly good one and is rather difficult to sharpen without powered equipment. The toolmaker guy prefers 440C, but he’s not familiar with some of the newer steels. Therefore I’ve decided to go with ATS-34/154CM or VG-10.

But I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old January 23, 2008, 06:31 PM   #12
macsr01

I have 2 knives I carry on and off, the 1st one being a Emerson CQC7. The other one is Gerber International (Michael Walker design). I actually found that knife in a parking lot. Both have served me well. I actually prefer the Emerson though.
Old January 23, 2008, 06:52 PM   #13
dreamweaver

Whatever you decide on, check out KnifeAuction before you buy. Likely save some money.
Old January 23, 2008, 06:56 PM   #14
jhansman

Benchmade makes lovely stuff, but IMHO, waaaay overpriced. Kinda like some guns....
Old January 24, 2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Omaha-BeenGlockin

If you/re not stuck on D2---try Ebay---New Graham---and Grand Prairie
-------Metallica
Old January 24, 2008, 03:21 PM   #16
grymster2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha-BeenGlockin
If you/re not stuck on D2---try Ebay---New Graham---and Grand Prairie
I said I'm not stuck on D2. In fact, I've decided to go with ATS-34/154CM or VG-10. I didn't find much on the knives you listed. Grand Prairie seems to be a retailer and the Graham knives I found didn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

But thanks anyway!

BTW: I like your user name. After doing some handloading and thinking about posting a thread on my experience, I considered titling it grymster-bin-loadin'
Old January 24, 2008, 04:23 PM   #17
Omaha-BeenGlockin

All 3 of those are loaded with Mini-Grips at the best prices----I thought that's what you were looking for???

http://www.newgraham.com/

http://www.gpknives.com/
-------Metallica
Old January 24, 2008, 05:21 PM   #18
grymster2007

Quote:
I thought that's what you were looking for???
Read post #s 8 and 9. After becoming thoroughly bewildered (I know; not the first time) about the whole knife thing, I did some more digging and changed my mind.

Sorry 'bout the confusion.
Old January 24, 2008, 05:59 PM   #19
Charles S

Quote:
That’s a material I used to like, but after reading a bunch and consulting our old toolmaker (who’s made a fair number of knives) I get the distinct impression that it will take an edge, but not a particularly good one and is rather difficult to sharpen without powered equipment.
Then your old toolmaker is either grossly uniformed or ignorant. D2 is one of the finest knife steels and is used by a number of the very best custom knife makers.

D2 takes an incredible edge, it will hold an edge longer than all but the very best of modern knife steels, and while hard to sharpen it can easily be done without power tools on really good stones.

http://www.dozierknives.com/

The finest knife I own is made from D2. I have examples in most modern steel. CPM 440V, CPM S30V, ATS 134, CPM 154, V2, AUS 8, 440A, 440C, A1, 52100, and 1095.

Last edited by Charles S; January 24, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old January 24, 2008, 06:25 PM   #20
grymster2007

Quote:
Then your old toolmaker is either grossly uniformed or ignorant.
Now, now; no need to beat up on my old toolmaker! He’s not a knife maker by trade, but he’s the absolute finest toolmaker I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. He’s made a number of knives himself and has put edges on my kitchen knives that would make most professional sharpeners blush. I consulted him and he gave me his best answers while qualifying them by advising me that he had not worked with many of the steels I mentioned.

So technically you could say that he’s uniformed and/or ignorant, but those are harsh words given that he never claimed to be an expert.

I’m the ignorant and uninformed one here; just trying to pick a good knife. To that end, I thank you for your input and will incorporate it into my ever increasing knife knowledge base.
Old January 24, 2008, 06:50 PM   #21
Omaha-BeenGlockin

If you're looking for blade knowledge----go spend a few hours in these places:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=669

http://knifeforums.com/forums/fusionbb.php?
-------Metallica
Old January 24, 2008, 09:46 PM   #22
Charles S

Quote:
Now, now; no need to beat up on my old toolmaker! He’s not a knife maker by trade, but he’s the absolute finest toolmaker I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. He’s made a number of knives himself and has put edges on my kitchen knives that would make most professional sharpeners blush. I consulted him and he gave me his best answers while qualifying them by advising me that he had not worked with many of the steels I mentioned.
Sorry, you of course are correct. I just have strong feelings regarding quality knives and have done a great deal of research into metals, their composition, the qualities that are produced by the various elements in knife steel, and tempering.

I really do think D2 is one of the best steels available, it is not stainless, but does not rust terribly easily.

There are a number of other good steels, you won't go wrong with a Benchmade product.
Old January 24, 2008, 09:52 PM   #23
Jason_G

They're good knives. I've got a Mini-Grip Mel Pardue in 154CM. It took me a while to get used to the axis lock, and I cut the fingerprint off of my index finger closing it the first day I had it, but once I got out of the liner lock mentality it became much faster to open and close the Benchmade than any of my other knives. You can hold the axis stud back and the blade will flip open and closed with just a slight twitch of the hand. It makes one handed opening and closing a cinch. I have big hands and sometimes wish there was more knife to hold onto though. I might look at the full-sized griptillian before long.

Jason
Old January 24, 2008, 10:41 PM   #24
stephen426

I just picked up a mini griptilian. While it is a decent knife, I like the Benchmade 710. It is slimmer than the griptilian and the handle feels great in the hand. This one somes in D2 steel and has the black coating you want. The scales are made of G-10 laminate and are slip resistant without being abrasive. The inside liners are made of stainless steel. I own many knives, but the 710 is my favorite by far and the knife I carry ALL THE TIME. Its well worth the extra bucks over the Griptilian.