The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 22, 2002, 07:59 PM   #1
Giant

1903A1 Strange color

Just took delivery from CMP of a Remington 1903A1, it has a very strange color cast on the receiver and on the sight base. In indirect light it shows as a dark blue black parkerized like finish. However, in very bright direct light the color changes to a red purple, more red than purple. At first I thought it was a light coating of surface rust, but it is not. Any ideas on what I am observing?

This Remington 1903A1 is in very good mechanical condition, a Remington 1/42 barrel appears to be unfired. new bolt and receiver shows little if any wear. Stock is in good condition with some small dings and dents. Butt plate is new, front sight and rear sight are new, trigger guard and magazine cover are stamped and new. lower band and sling loop are stamped. The only parts with the red purple color cast are the receiver and bottom sight base. This rifle is a fine historic example of a Remington transition piece from A1 to A3, as the few stamped parts are pre A3. Me thinks the reason it is in good condition is because no GI would want a purple rifle! 'Geez Sarge, can I have another one! Give this one to the new guy!'.

Giant
Old August 22, 2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Ledbetter

hello up there

got a pic?
Old August 22, 2002, 08:20 PM   #3
Hemicuda

sounds like the "plum" color you get when a case hardened part is blued...

Case hardening impregnates the surface of the metal with oils... and when you blue it, it will turn a rich red-purple plum color...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 22, 2002, 08:30 PM   #4
Giant

Thanks for the answers! No photos yet... It sounds like the blued case hardened plum color is what has happened to this fine rifle. It looks odd, but if it shoots good who would care, unless they were a GI that did not get off on a plum odd rifle!

Giant
Old August 22, 2002, 08:35 PM   #5
Hemicuda

one word of warning... that color won't hurt anything... but it is not quite as rust resistant as bluing... keep it rubbed down with oil...

My Great-Grandpappy's old single shot 12 Ga. is like that... it now has a small rust blossom or 2... but now I know to oil it a little more often then I otherwise might...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 22, 2002, 11:45 PM   #6
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
A purple tinge in not uncommon for Parkerized military rifles. Especially WWII wartime rifles. No one is exactly sure how it was achieved. The speculation is it came from contamination of the Park bath with machine oil, cosmoline, and God knows what. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old August 23, 2002, 05:05 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Kernel is correct, "Been there, Done that"

HJN