The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 11:38 AM   #26
psyfly

I frequently use an IWB with a clip and, a while back, was using one with a metal clip on my belt at about the 430 position. I sat down and enjoyed the supper my loving better half had prepared for me. When I tried to stand up, the ladder-back chair came with me. The clip had slipped over the bottom slat and I had eaten my entire meal without noticing. I'm glad it happened at home instead of a restaurant: It took much longer than I'd like to admit to extricate myself while pretending not to notice the tears in my wife's eyes as she laughed. I'm lucky she didn't have the camera.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:15 PM   #27
X_shooter

I have a IWB holster that works really well unless I wear a crappy belt. The one and only time I did my jeans slid down and somehow the clip slid off of the belt. Just as I felt the gun, holster, and all was about to fall from my waist, I quickly clenched my elbow against my side and went off to find a room to adjust myself leaning and clenching all of the way. Luckily my shirt was untucked which helped retain it and at least conceal it. Just another one of my little life lessons I keep learning. No more cheap belts. Ever!
Old February 15, 2013, 10:23 PM   #28
Sgt127

The old school way for DPD cops to carry a Smith J frame was to unbutton one button on your western shirt, stick the gun in your waistband just to the left of your navel. You could tell who was off duty po-lice by seeing the one button (or snap) undone near the waistline.

Thought that was pretty cool. The uncool part is when it gets past the waistband and is headed down the leg of your Levis. You have about half a second to snatch it, through the jeans and, either work it back up or, make a beeline to the bathroom while grabbing a handful of thigh...and gun. Neither option looks pretty.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:37 PM   #29
egor20

Quote:
mete

One of the better equipment checks is to do a handstand to see if holster etc will hold things in that position.
Get thrown from a horse, gun stays in the holster, you gotta winner.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 15, 2013, 10:43 PM   #30
Munkster

I worked at an upscale optical a few years back, the crowds had died down for the most part and i was cleaning up so we wouldnt have too at closing. I reach down to pick up a work order when my lcp falls out of my pocket holster on to the wood floor, followed by a load clunk. My manager half turns and asks me if i heard that while i quickly slide the lcp with my foot under the table. I was lucky non of the customers or my manager saw what caused the clunk. I quickly got on my knees and pretended to be picking something up from the floor as i reholsterd my lcp in to my blazers inner pocket. From then on i carried my G19 in a iwb holster with my jacket covering me up
Old February 15, 2013, 11:06 PM   #31
TheNocturnus

Not weird per se, but it actually happened today. I was helping a friend at a large estate sale. I was filling out tickets for customers and one lady asked me to put her items in a box we had sitting on the floor.

I kneeled down to get the box and somehow my shirt lifted up over my Glock 30 I had in a Serpa holster on my hip. Not one person noticed, even the lady looking down at me. I stood up, put my back to the wall, handed the lady her box and casually put my shirt back over my gun.

It just reinforced my belief that the majority of people are oblivious to what is going on around them.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 15, 2013, 11:41 PM   #32
ClydeFrog

True that!

That's 100% true.
Just go to any US supermarket or large store(Walmart or Target).
Shoppers do not look, bump or knock over items/customers all the time.

It grates on me. I used to buy stuff at 24hr places at 1200am or 200am. Oddly you'd run into a few celebs or media reporters that way.

ClydeFrog
PS: you could also check your gear & weapon by doing the "Harlem Shake" .
Old February 16, 2013, 12:36 AM   #33
saands

I find that it is miracle if people notice ANYTHING!

I took my sister and brother-in-law shooting one day and neither of them knew that I was carrying. Anyway, they were both shooting the only two pistols that we had (as far as they knew). As I stood between them, I drew mine and shot a whole mag of ammo and reholstered and neither one of them noticed

Saands
Old February 16, 2013, 10:10 AM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

What sort of weird thing has happened to you while carrying?

Alright, I'll play lol

One time when I had an FNX-9 IWB at 4:00. I was a tattoo shop for a girl I was dating. She wanted something and I knew some people. So we went, as I sat down apparently the mag release was also engaged. I unknown to me. So I stood up, and since its at an FBI cant, it made a "click" noise when it fell into place. So I just reached behind myself and under my button up and clicked it back in.

Turned out you'd look at that gun the wrong way it do that. One time when I had to run to a potentially dangerous situation in public, away from public being where I'd draw...I heard it clacking away behind me and while I ran I clicked it back in and held it till I got to where I needed to be.

Sold that gun the next day to my LGS.

Another time was recently. I went to Broward Co. with some friends of mine and my girlfriend. We were standing in line to put our name on the list (Saturday night) and this kid reaches for the bowl of mints behind me, I begin to turn around so he doesn't bump into something at my 4:00. ( I know twisted trade off) but he wanted that candy. Determination was in eyes an squeaky voice as he reached for it and his head cracked into the sights / slide of my SIG P220 -____- he exclaims an "owwwww" to where I said something like "oh you okay there buddy? You gotta slow down and be a little more cautious yeah?" He said sorry (I felt bad, I wanted to say sorry) grabbed the mints that he could reach in the first place as I looked to see if he had a cut or something. He didn't. They're made of rubber at that age lol.

Oh and I'm 6'2 if that's any consolation as to how his temple reached what it did.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:19 AM   #35
Willie Lowman

When I first got my CHL I was carrying my Glock 22, IWB at 3 o'clock.

I was working out of town and walked into a local hardware/pawn shop to see if they had any hand tools I could use. The man working the counter (owner?) was with a customer when I walked in. I noticed that he was glaring at me from behind the counter. After the other customer left the man came from behind the counter and walked over to me. He asked "Can I help you?" and made it sound like a threat. The way he was standing told me he was ready to fight. I asked about channel locks or 1/2" ratchet sets or something. I received a quick "NO." I decided I didn't care for the guys attitude and left.

When I reached for my car keys I realize that my shirt had ridden up and my Glock was plainly visible for any who looked. I'm not sure what was going through the shopkeeper's head but he seemed to take a very dim view of open carry.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:46 PM   #36
bikerbill

Happy to say nothing weird has happened since I started carrying in '04 .. my gun has always stayed where it belongs, nobody has "made" me, it's never gone off and destroyed my big toe ... and best of all, I've never had to use it ...
Old February 16, 2013, 04:07 PM   #37
SgtLumpy

Quote:
egor20:

...Get thrown from a horse, gun stays in the holster, you gotta winner.
This is a very good concept to envision and it applies to me as I carry mounted. Along the same lines, and not exactly related to the topic, when on horseback, it's prudent to carry all your survival stuff (gun, phone, knife, space blanket, first aid etc) ON YOUR PERSON. If you carry it in saddle bags, and get thrown, the horse could leave, taking the essentials with her.

Perhaps there's some comparison there with motorcycles, cars, what-have-you. I guess your motorcycle won't likely throw you then drive off. But it could go over a cliff, under a truck, through a glass window etc.

All my stuff's in my Sam Browne or boots or serge -

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 16, 2013, 07:26 PM   #38
MTG

Re: mag dropped

Jay24bal,

Same problem here (except fortunately I was at home). Mine was with a Sig p229 and the same holster. I was wondering if anyone else ever had that issue. For me, it appears the mag release it right at my hipbone...after a closer look, I notice a little holster wear from the mag release button. Do you carry right at, or maybe even a little in front of 3:00 (assuming right side carry)? I love the gun and holster but have been a little worried ever since.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:24 PM   #39
lawnranger05

The best was went I sat down in the choir loft at church before service and the guy next to me gave me one of those elbow to the side greetings. He only hit my full size Springfield XD. He realized what it was and chuckled, saying " I'm carrying a glock."
Old February 17, 2013, 08:10 PM   #40
Fire_Moose

Re: What sort of weird thing has happened to you while carrying?

Glad we have constitutional carry here in AZ. No worry about printing, bending, or shirts riding up.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:23 PM   #41
Jay24bal

Maybe the cause, maybe not

Quote:
Jay24bal,

Same problem here (except fortunately I was at home). Mine was with a Sig p229 and the same holster. I was wondering if anyone else ever had that issue. For me, it appears the mag release it right at my hipbone...after a closer look, I notice a little holster wear from the mag release button. Do you carry right at, or maybe even a little in front of 3:00 (assuming right side carry)? I love the gun and holster but have been a little worried ever since.
I do have a little bit of wear right where the mag release is, and yes, I also carry right at the 3:00/3:30 postion. The wear that is present is very minor (especially after 3 years of use) as it is barely deep enough for the color to have worn off in that spot. I have the horseside rather than the cowhide that Crossbreed offers. I don't know about you, but I am a bigger guy (6'1", 250 lbs) with a little gut, so maybe the extra force of the spare tire pressing against the holster was enough to release the mag?

I was also worried about it, but was unable to replicate it on purpose, and it has never happened again since.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 17, 2013, 09:46 PM   #42
hagar

Only thing funny was the look on the 3 gangbangers faces after they picked me as a victim coming out of a Walmart in Phoenix and followed me back to my car. Pretended I did not not see them, but when they started fanning out to surround me, out came the G26. Wish I had a camera on the Glock, it would have been a prize photo!
Old February 18, 2013, 11:04 AM   #43
SgtLumpy

This didn't happen to me (honest, it wasn't me) but this was on the scanner yesterday in Phoenix.

Highway Patrol is dispatched to a guy that "left part of his handgun on the roof of his car" then drove off. Now part of his gun was on the freeway. Not sure what the "part of his gun" was. May have lost something in the translation between caller, call taker, dispatcher etc. In any event, they sent a Highway Patrol unit who set up a road block. Trooper tells dispatcher to advise the caller "When he sees my unit with the lights on, tell him he can go out and retreive the item". A few minutes later, trooper calls in and advises "Subject has retreived his item, 10-8".

Chuckling at the difference in how this might have been handled in a less handgun friendly area like CA or NY instead of Arizona.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 18, 2013, 12:12 PM   #44
ShamrockArmory

I used to live in the great state of Arizona. I miss that place.

Anyways, now I live in Ohio, and I got called into work on my off day. (Manager at a car dealership)

I told my Operations Director when I got there that I had my M&P on me, and I was on my bike when I got the call so I couldn't stop and drop it off. He told me it's fine, and asked me to show a car to a friend of his.

His friend was a pretty well-off business owner from the area, and was looking at our most expensive car in the line up. Everything went fine, loved the test drive, then when we got back to the dealership, I somehow got my M&P tangled up in the seat belt.

The gentleman caught on very quick to my problem, showed me his holster and said "I never have that problem." Flashed a quick smile and carried on.

Turns out the "business owner" just opened a new gun store. We are both customers for life of each other now. Haha.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:22 PM   #45
Ozzieman

Years ago when I worked in a gun store on Fridays several of us would go to a late dinner at a family restaurant near the store.
As I set down the chair pulled my sweater up and showed the gun I was caring which I quickly pulled down.
An old battle axe setting at the table over called the waitress over and said that we had guns and she wanted her to make us leave.
The waitress said “I know they carry, it’s the only time late on Friday nights I feel safe is with them here and if you don’t like it the door is right over there.”
She got a BIG tip that night.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:07 PM   #46
RevJim

Close Call

Several years ago, I decided to stop at a Walmart around 9:00 pm. I had not been planning on stopping, so my Sig was in an IWB holster in the pocket of the car door. I loosed my belt and slid the holster and gun into the 5:00 position and headed into Walmart. I realized as I walked through the front doors that I had missed the clip on the back of my shorts, and my gun was starting to slip! The front bathrooms looked busy, so I headed for the back bathroom, walking very gingerly to keep the gun from falling down before I reached the safety of the bathroom. But when I got to the back, the bathroom was closed for cleaning!
I turned and CAREFULLY made my way toward the front of the store, holding my hip. In the middle of the clothing section, the gun slipped from my waist and dropped into the back of my shorts! I had three choices. First, walk to the front of the store with my shorts dropping like I had dropped a full load. Second, twist around and grab the back of my shorts to hold my gun and walk to the front of the store, looking like I had stolen an iPod or something. Third, loosen my belt and reach down the back of my shorts to get my gun and hope some parent didn't call 9-1-1 to report a man doing indecent things in the store!
I carefully slid over to a rack of clothes and pushed it beside a shelf, blocking two sides. Looking around carefully, I loosened my belt. Then, making SURE no one was around, I reached down the back of my pants and pulled the gun up and slid it over my shorts. Then I tightened my belt and went about my business.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:32 PM   #47
iraiam

I got made once while using a urinal in a Wal-Mart mens room. I noticed there was some guy staring at me from the sink/mirror area, then I realized my piece was showing, no not that piece!

I told him I had a permit for it as well, he didn't freak out much. Now I just use a stall in a public restroom.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #48
seeker_4

Before retention screws, spring shoulder harness for off duty.
Night club in Portland, OR... dancing... sickening thump on the floor. Not one, but two bouncers heading over with everyone backing up. At least I had a badge to show them.
For about 30 minutes we had a corner of the dance floor all to ourselves.

But the worse of all worse....
Moving some hay at the county fair in Clackamas, OR. Busy, sweating, people all over... and a lady that had to be in her 80's walks over and hands me my pistol, telling me "Sir, you dropped this back there". While looking at it she had actually pulled back the hammer and was hanging on by the grip.
I didn't feel it fall.
Last time I ever wore the shoulder harness......
Old February 22, 2013, 05:18 PM   #49
Ozzieman

You've got to be kidding! At my age?
It’s easy Bob, at 60 I do it every couple of days and I can do it 30 or 40 times a day if I want to.
All you need is an inversion table.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:39 PM   #50
m&p45acp10+1

I was working a cable tv contractor. It was summer I carried IWB with a Cross Breed Super Tuck. I had to go through some tree branches climbing my ladder to get to the cable tap. Well on the way down one of the thorny brances shredded my shirt, and scratched me up pretty good. Well the grip of my 1911 was totaly exposed. Problem is I was a block from the county jail. Right in front of the police station at shift change. Long story short one of the officers noticed. He was nice enough to walk beside me to give a visual block of my gun, and hairy body. He did not even ask to see my CHL. I asked him why not. His response was that I had a nice looking concealment holster.

Another time I was fishing at a log jam during the white bass run in spring. I went through the logs into the river. . I had to drive to the rest room area to wash the muddy crudd out of my gun, and off of my ammo. As well as spry it down with WD 40 to keep it from rusting till I got home.