The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 11, 1999, 07:14 AM   #1
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

I'm going to be running a shooting league at an indoor range.
I have to come up with 12 weeks worth of courses of fire.
The league is geared for people who have no competition experience, and will be set up for one person per lane/target, so I'm not going to do any tricky stuff.
Skills I will be incorporating into drills will be tact/speed reloads, one handed shooting, using cover, shooting from prone and kneeling, one handed reload, malfunction drills, double taps, failure to neutralize, verbalization and possibly low light.
Each nights course of fire will 50 rounds.
If anyone has any suggestions for drills, go ahead and post them or send them to me directly.
Thanks.
Tony N.
Old June 17, 1999, 04:58 PM   #2
HeadHunter

Defense Training International Qualification Course

Setup: Target is an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper at 8 meters. Shooter begins with gun in the holster (concealed), retention strap engaged if holster is so equipped.

Semi-auto: the gun has a round chambered, with four rounds and a dummy round in the magazine. The dummy round may not be the first or last round in the magazine, and the shooter is not to know which round is the dummy. One magazine on the belt contains two live rounds.

Revolver: cylinder loaded to capacity, speedloader on the belt.

Drill: from interview position (hands at sides, not touching gun), draw and fire into the target. When the dummy round comes up, clear it with tap-rack. Continue firing until you run dry, then speed load and fire the last two shots. Revolvers just draw, shoot all rounds, reload, and then shoot two more.

All shots must hit the target to count, and all procedures (draw, malfunction clearance, reload) must be done correctly. Any miss or any failure to perform the correct procedure disqualifies you.

Par time: 18.25 seconds

Old June 24, 1999, 09:40 AM   #3
bear

You might give some thought to how familiar the shooters are with their weapons, you said they will have no competition experience, if they are new to shooting some of the things your gonna have them do might cause problems, one of the ranges I shoot at has a beginners leauge and they start out pretty basic, no drawing from holsters, ect
Just a thought, fwiw Good luck.
Old July 2, 1999, 10:12 PM   #4
Matt K

headhunter,

DTI's test has been revised and updated. Now you must move during the draw, tap rack bang, and reload. Also no more than 2 shots without moving. The passing times have gone up a bit but I cant recall exactly off the top of my head but somewhere around 2 seconds has ben added.

matt

------------------
Matt's Custom Glock Resource - Because Stock is Slow!
custom-glock.com