The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2001, 05:44 PM   #1
dewey

Looking for advice on the fastest speed for SWCs with hardess number of 14 from a 4 inch revo ? I've only used
JHPs in the past and don't look forward to leading problems.
From what I've heard 950 would be about it. I shoot 400 to 500 a week and the only thing I shoot is paper...THANKS...dewey

...and He will come again . . . SOON !
Old March 29, 2001, 10:50 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Lyman #2 alloy is rated at 15BH & the book shows velocities well past 2000 fps.

I've shot .30 cal #2 above 1600 with no leading. All (except defense loads) in .357 are cast & used to shoot nothing but cast in .44 mag - zip for leading.

A lot of stories about cast bullet leading is due to swagged lead bullets (close to pure lead w/a BH of around 5 & a different critter altogether).

Assuming good lube, I'd go for what velocity shoots good accuracy-wize & be pleased with the results. Doubtful you'll be able to push these bullets fast enough to cause any leading.
Old March 30, 2001, 12:56 AM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

dewey

You will get obsturation at under 900 FTP with a bullet that soft. Don't have a bullet weight so don't know which powder to recommend or how much.

Robert
Old March 30, 2001, 05:26 AM   #4
dewey

the weight is 240grn

and I guess .41Robt would proly know the guns are S&W M29 4
inch and 44MtnGun....Txs....dewey
Old March 30, 2001, 06:16 AM   #5
Robert the41MagFan

Unique! Manuals have a variety of mininum and maximum for this powder. Extreme spread is 9 grains up to 13 grains and the edges are fuzzy. I would start at about 9 1/2 or 10 grains. Anything over 11 grain will be too hot for such a soft lead. There is always leading. It is the nature of this beast, but it should not be so extreme that more than a few extra strokes of the brush can't clean. If there is excessive leading on the lip of the forcing cone, bullet is too slow and if the lead is smeared throughout the lands and grooves of the barrel, it is too hot. Leading at the end of the barrel, it is the lube.

BN 14 is good for about 1300 FPS, but that's messy. Don't let a little extra leading stop you from increasing velocity for better accuracy. If it were me, I'd load about 9 or 9 1/2 grains of Unique, shoot the thing and if it groups better than 2 or 3 inches at 25 yards, I would be happy. That is more accurate than what I can every shoot off hand.

Robert

BTW I have a new email address.
Old March 30, 2001, 09:55 PM   #6
dewey

Or. to europe !

you are a hard man to follow.....dewey