The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
JRD

Vibratory Case Cleaner

Do you clean your brass before or after you trim? I have had guys tell me both ways, just looking for some opinions. I was thinking you cleaned before you trim, but than others said after, that way you dont leave any brass trimmings behind.
Old March 3, 2007, 02:16 PM   #2
mrawesome22

I don't see how it could possibly make a difference either way.
Old March 3, 2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Abstract

Hmmm. Can't see any reason to trim prior to sizing. Can't see any reason to size dirty brass. Hmmmmmm.
Old March 3, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
rwilson452

The first thing I do is clean the brass. All else follows
Old March 3, 2007, 08:09 PM   #5
saands

My take is: If you clean before you deprime, then you don't have to pick crud out of primer pockets!

+1 on clean first, all else follows.

Saands
Old March 3, 2007, 08:53 PM   #6
cheygriz

I clean before loading (wash in warm water and liquid tide in a Thumler's model B rotary tumbler) then again after loading, if loading bottleneck cases, in corncobs. I load on a dillon 650.

Generally, I deprime with an RCBS "universal decapping" die in the sizing station, with all other stations empty. I have a toolhead dedicated to the universal decapping die! Then I wash. Then I load. If I'm loading bottleneck case that require lubing, I tumble in corncobs anbd mineral spirits after loading.
Old March 4, 2007, 12:15 AM   #7
armedtotheteeth

Call me "Cooky" but I stick all my brass in a coffee can with Dawn and water in it. Shake a bit . Make sure you get all the dirt out. Then lube, then Size and deprime. then trim. Reason I size then trim is because if you trim to the correct length, then resize, you just made your bullet a bit longer. If you Resize your bullet, then trim, they will all be the same length. After i size them. I wash the brass again to get all the Lube out of them. Lube and brass do not mix well. The brass in the chamber needs to " grip " the chamber walls.
After you wash them, Dry them out very very very well. ( I use a hairdryer, never an oven) They are then ready to be primed, loaded and pressed and then shot.
I try to keep very close tabs on how often my brass gets shot. After every loadings, I aneal my brass with my Coleman Propane torch. Set the brass in a shallow pan of water, upright. Head the case neck up with the torch until it turns nice and orange. ( Unloaded is the best way to do this, by the way) AS soon as it is orange, push it over into the water to quicly cool. I have fire at least 10 shots through all my 300 WMag brass this way, Some have had 20 shots. Just keep inspecting them . When the Primers are to easy to seat, pitch the brass. Or better yet, make a lovely wind chime out of them to put on your front porch to deter thieves
Old March 4, 2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Abstract

Armed: I take it that you really mean "case" and not "bullet." Surely, you're not resizing your bullets??
Old March 4, 2007, 02:40 PM   #9
CrustyFN

I like the wind chime idea.
Rusty
Old March 4, 2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Foxman

Armedtotheteeth, you really need to read this, http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
There is no need at all to anneal every time you reload, your just making the brass weak. I shoot 300WM an get 6-10 reloads with good accuracy with no annealing.
I did used to anneal after maybe 5 reloads, but found if I used good brass there was no need. just my 02worth
Good Shooting