The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2012, 10:44 AM   #26
oletymer

I'm glad you trust your life to them and not mine. It still amazes me that people will buy the cheapest thing on the market to protect themselves with.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:53 AM   #27
jmortimer

A gun either works well or does not. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Current production 870 Express lacks pride and the Pardner Pump, 870 Chinese clone, sold by H&R and serviced by parent company Remington is a reliable gun. I prefer made in the USA but you will find nothing to support your opinion that the Chinese clones are not reliable or well made. Sad but true. I had one and sold it but it was rock solid, bet your life reliable. Here are 10 reviews of the Pardner Pumps from Police Link site giving the Pardner Pump 5/5 stars. I will trust the opinion of these 10 LEOs (and my own experience) over a naked opinion with no facts in support the opinion. Now if the issue is buy "Made in the USA" that is something we can agree on.
http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector
Old September 15, 2012, 06:35 PM   #28
ahanson0812

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
A gun either works well or does not. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Current production 870 Express lacks pride and the Pardner Pump, 870 Chinese clone, sold by H&R and serviced by parent company Remington is a reliable gun. I prefer made in the USA but you will find nothing to support your opinion that the Chinese clones are not reliable or well made. Sad but true. I had one and sold it but it was rock solid, bet your life reliable. Here are 10 reviews of the Pardner Pumps from Police Link site giving the Pardner Pump 5/5 stars. I will trust the opinion of these 10 LEOs (and my own experience) over a naked opinion with no facts in support the opinion. Now if the issue is buy "Made in the USA" that is something we can agree on.
http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector
Interesting. Makes me want to get one now...

Sent from my DROIDX
Old September 16, 2012, 03:21 AM   #29
TheKlawMan

Quote:
you will find nothing to support your opinion that the Chinese clones are not reliable or well made.
I got my info directly from a man who went to China to analyze the manufacturing of a clone and make recommendations to management for improvements. You are right that you aren't going to find it since it isn't published material.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:35 AM   #30
n4aof

The problem with Chinese manufactured products...

The problem is very rarely with the design - especially not in products manufactured for American companies -- the problem, when there is one, is with Quality Control (not with quality per se).

In general, manufactured products coming from China are more likely to vary from one batch to another compared to similar products made elsewhere. One sample of a product may be absolutely flawless in fit and finish, while the next sample of the same product may be defective.

This is a trivial matter if you have the opportunity and knowledge to thoroughly inspect the specific one you are going to buy before buying it. If you can't inspect it before you buy, then you have to rely on the inspection by the importer/seller and the willingness of the seller to resolve any problems.

Reports on the Stevens 320 and 350 as sold by Savage, have been good so far; but for ANY product coming from China I'd be a lot more comfortable buying one that I could handle thoroughly before purchasing AND that came with a warranty from a company I had faith in.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Hoosier_Daddy

I have a 2 year old Savage 350 shotgun, made in P.R.C. It works flawlessly so far. The barrel is getting a few scratches through whatever finish is on thie barrel. This finish looks more like paint than a blued finish.
This shotgun is stored in my basement for a basement home defense shotgun. Won't leave the basement except maybe once a year to get cycled at the range.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:59 PM   #32
TheKlawMan

Quote:
The problem is very rarely with the design - especially not in products manufactured for American companies
When it's a clone of a venerable American model, I wouldn't expect design to be a problem. I believe you correct about the QC problem.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:34 PM   #33
ahanson0812

Speaking of "clone" shotguns. The Model 350 Steven's is a Ithaca 37 clone. Mine has been flawless!

I would like to add a 320 to the collection. And for only $200 it could be added fairly easy.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:31 AM   #34
Pistolgripshotty

Quote:
For a defensive shotgun I'd get rid of the pistol grip.
Pistol grip only...is a real combat shotgun. Every defensive shotgun NEEDS a pistol grip
Old October 11, 2012, 04:22 PM   #35
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"Pistol Grip only...is a real combat shotgun....

No, it's the worst possible choice in stocks for combat shotguns.

And it's not just me that thinks so.

No major shooting school teaches PGO classes.

Clint Smith will teach you to run any shotgun, including single shots, effectively. Exception, PGOs.

Sole use of PGOs by our Military and Police agencies is as breaching tools, not anti-personnel weapons.

As for my experience, I was paid to shoot shotguns with folded stocks from the hip and to teach hundreds of others to do likewise. NONE of us shot as well with the folder.

Finally, here's the challenge I've been issuing here and elsewhere for more than a decade with ZERO takers.

We'll shoot your course of fire.

Your choice of distance,ammo and conditions.

You may use any PGO you want, with any accessories, from belt feed to lasers to optics.

I will use one of my unfancy and well worn 870s.

Results will be published right here and on THR.

The ball's in your court.....
Old November 2, 2012, 06:35 PM   #36
ahanson0812

I just bought a Stevens Model 320 pump action 12ga with the 28" barrel...

My local dealer was selling them on sale for only $159.99. So I picked on up, and got a chance to shoot it this afternoon. I only had a box of 25 no. 7.5 field loads 2 3/4". So I gave the gun a good cleaning (there was alot of oil on this gun from the factory), and removed the magazine plug. The gun holds 5 rounds in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber for 6 total shots. I was really surprised how well this gun shoots. Pump action on mine wasn't sticky at all (read about some people having pump action sticking), and ejected shells no problem.

I had better luck with this gun than my Remington 870 tactical that had a messed up ejector from the factory. Caused the shells to jam when you pumped the action. I did manage to get the Remington fixed with my own gunsmithing.

In a emergency if I had to grab a shotgun out of the safe I would trust my Stevens over my Remingtons...
Old January 26, 2013, 12:47 PM   #37
Dewaltman

Action.

The ejection port opens about an inch after each shot on my Stevens 320 pump. My Remington pump doesn't. Does anyone else have that problem with the Stevens?
Old February 27, 2013, 11:49 AM   #38
HunterDiver

That the action opens immediately upon firing sounds like support to the idea that the 320 is a Win1300 clone. The 1300's were called "Speed Pumps" because the pump action would begin almost on its own.

See this similar question wrt Winchester 1300's...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514695

Mike
Old July 16, 2018, 06:12 AM   #39
EarlThePearl

Update on my 320 18.5 inch with a non pistol grip stock i bought new less then a year ago.
I have shot aprx......1000 rounds now of birdshot threw my gun.
Aprx. 200 rounds of 00 buckshot.
Maybe 50 or so slugs....
Gun works great.
Had had only one misfire because of no powder in that shell.
All i have done as far as cleaning is spray the action with red spray oil, and run a oily rag on a string down the barrel.
Shoots as well as it did new.
Action has become smoother after maybe a couple hundred rounds.
I still dont care much how the action half opens after each shot, vut have become used to it.
Old July 16, 2018, 10:59 PM   #40
Sterling

Whatever it is.....if on a budget get a Wallyworld small rubberized or plastic led lamp as not to scratch up the gun. Tie wrap that rascal an inch or two aft the pump grip and practice shooting with it to know it wont fail you when needed. I prefer the rubberized lamps as they absorb some recoil vs metal or plastic. Been shooting with mine on my shotty for years lamp works fine.