The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Fatelvis

Should I market a press stand?

Recently, I've been building a bunch of these, per customer request for their presses. Some have been more like Dillon's BFR stand, and some more like the Ultimate Reloader's plans. I am a welder by trade, and own a mobile welding service. Would anyone on here be interested in one for their machine, with the price tag around $160 + shipping? I'm just seeing if there is an interest, and if so, these may help me work through the ever present "slow winters". Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50_BMG_Mounting_Post.jpg (24.7 KB, 268 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hornady-Lock-N-Load-AP-Steel-Stand-Plans1.pdf (232.2 KB, 324 views)
Old August 14, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Vance

Oh, I am interested, but the funds just aren't available right now.
Old August 14, 2011, 01:31 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Nicely done. I would add (or make optional) some tabs to facilitate attaching it to the front of an existing bench. Price seems very reasonable to me because it will likely be less costly than reinforcing a normal workbench that isn't up to the stresses of heavy-duty reloading, also less than building a purpose-built reloading bench.
Seems to me it would also be perfect for BMG loaders and bullet swagers but I don't do either.
I'd definitely market it to high volume or specialty reloaders as an alternative to or improvement on a purpose-built heavy-duty reloading bench. Since you build them one @ a time (for now) you can be flexible to accomodate the buyer's existing bench, presses and special needs.
I think you have a very marketable idea, hope it works out for you.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 14, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
zippy13

The Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Stand is a joke, right? Neither the designer nor illustrator had clue about what they were doing.
Old August 14, 2011, 01:41 PM   #5
farmerboy

I don't know how much those are I'n the store but they look very cheesy. A pipe and a flat plate welded on each end. I'd rather build a bench out of wood or buy a table from the store or a garage sale
Old August 14, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Fatelvis

Quote:
Since you build them one @ a time (for now) you can be flexible to accomidate the buyer's existing bench, presses and special needs.
I do build them one at a time, and for that reason, I can tailor them to each individual's needs. Different presses need different bolt patterns drilled in the top plate, like you stated, some people may want to attach it to something, or attach containers to the stand, to aid in the reloading process (bullet box, or brass box). But of course I would have to add to the cost for such additional options.
Old August 14, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Fatelvis

Quote:
they look very cheesy. A pipe and a flat plate welded on each end. I'd rather build a bench out of wood or buy a table from the store or a garage sale
The stands I build are far from being "cheezy". Lol I build them with the intent of lag bolting them down to concrete or a heavy wood floor. There is absolutely zero rocking, flexing, or vibrating of the stand once it is bolted down securely, and the press is used. Just a rock-solid feel while pulling the handle and indexing. Once you use a progressive that is mounted with absolute rigidity like this, it's hard to go back to a bench mounted press. I've used bench mounted presses for years, and no matter how much weight I use as ballast on the bench, it doesn't equal the solid feel of a lag-bolted pedastal.
Old August 16, 2011, 07:47 PM   #8
flashhole

I'd wager the post is a solid mount. I built this for about $200 in material including the 5/16" metal plates that span the uprights. Mounting the press directly over the legs adds a great deal of stability. The legs are 5"x5" fake wood used for decks and they weigh a ton. Very solid.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 16, 2011, 08:35 PM   #9
PA-Joe

Take a look at the Frankford Arsenel Stand. It can hold two presses.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:28 PM   #10
farmerboy

Very, Very Nice Flashhole!!!
Old August 17, 2011, 12:11 PM   #11
zippy13

...The legs are 5"x5" fake wood used for decks and they weigh a ton. Very solid.
Very sturdy looking (sturdy enough that it seems that bent the arm on the Lee on the right). And, you didn't have to bolt the whole thing to the floor.
Old August 17, 2011, 01:08 PM   #12
BigJimP

Respectfully, no, I don't think you're going to find a big market for it ....

I think you'd be lucky to sell a few hundred ...maybe thru local gunshows...but at $ 160 plus shipping .../ it might be $ 225 - $ 250 if you had to ship it accross country... ( guys are too cheap ...) ...

and the narrow base isn't ideal to me personally ...
Old August 17, 2011, 04:34 PM   #13
flashhole

zippy - the Lee press comes with a bent press handle. The bend is to clear the primer assembly that attaches to the upper turret flange. I don't have/use that tool for priming cases.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 17, 2011, 07:13 PM   #14
zippy13

You didn't have any blue presses, so I didn't know for sure.