The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 28, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
GunDawg

-1 for Midway USA

Ordered a Don Hume JIT Slide holster for a G19 from Midway a few weeks ago. Receive the order, open the package, look at the holster, mmmm, seems awful small but ill give it a try, cant even get the muzzle in the holster, must be for super small snubbie. The package says for G17-G782 or however many 1.18 pistols they have.

Call them to report the error, they tell me that I must have ordered the wrong size, not a chance that happened. Anyways, the tell me to follow the return instructions on the back of the invoice, great, another two weeks to receive the correct holster. A trip to the post office, wait in 30 minute line, pay for return shipping. Call them again to tell them to go ahead and ship the right holster, they have to charge me again, and then credit me when they receive the returned holster. So they said that they checked the holsters and are shipping the right size for my G19. I ask them to expedite the shipping free of charge since this is turning into a three week evolution for a tiny piece of leather, they say they cannot do that, all they can do is send it standard (5 days) Come on!

The ball kicker is that I probably won’t even like this holster.

-1 Midway USA, -1, maybe they read this forum.
Old February 28, 2010, 07:22 AM   #2
ptpalpha

That's surprising, and disappointing. I've had countless perfect deals with them, including some where I returned and exchanged items.
Sounds like you got someone who needs to be fired. Next time ask to speak to their boss.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:33 AM   #3
highvel

I agree, that is suprising! I have had nothing but great treatment from Midway!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 28, 2010, 09:09 AM   #4
rdmallory

I ordered sun shields for a scope I bought and they sent 40mm and my scope is 50mm. So I just reordered another set making sure I ordered the correct ones.

They arrived they were 40mm again. I gave them a call and they sent out a set for free without having to return the incorrect ones. Sure enough they arrived and they were also 40mm. Now I have 3 sets of 40mm sun shields for a 40mm scope while mine is 50mm. They have always been real help full but they must be boxed wrong.

Doug
Old February 28, 2010, 09:15 AM   #5
DiscoRacing

any chance of selling two of the 40s RD??
Old February 28, 2010, 09:45 AM   #6
skydiver3346

Midway USA:

I have had nothing but good luck as a customer of Midway. Sometimes they are backordered on ammo (but who isn't from time to time). Quick shipment and not a single mistake (so far).....
Old February 28, 2010, 10:06 AM   #7
riggins_83

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. I'd contact them again, I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to pay return shipping. The one time I ever had an issue with them (order was sent to the wrong address when I called it in) they resent fast, no questions asked and didn't charge me for shipping.

The new website for midway is a shame, too much overhead can make it slow. Overall it's not too bad and they tend to ship orders fast.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

All you need to do is check your account on their pageto see exactly what you ordered. If it shows the wrong holster then you ordered the wrong holster. They may ship the wrong one but the order is not going to magically change.

I've had super service from Midway, close to a dozen orders, no problems at all.
Old February 28, 2010, 01:46 PM   #9
goodspeed(TPF)

I have had nothing but good service from them.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 28, 2010, 03:15 PM   #10
jmortimer

I have had good dealings with Midway USA - Now this is only 10 orders but so far so good. If the screw-up my next order I will still consider the bigger picture - that they have a good track record with me.
Old February 28, 2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Rockhanger

I've always got great service from Midway, hopefully you just customer service rep. that should be replaced
Old March 1, 2010, 01:08 AM   #12
MrM4

aside from the slowest damn website on the net they have always been good to me, although its seems like over %50 of their stuff is out of stock.....
Old March 1, 2010, 04:14 PM   #13
FormerMidwayUSA

Inside Info

Hello Everybody,

I am a previous employee of MidwayUSA. I worked in thier Contact Center for 2 1/2 years and have some inside info on how they operate. I would like to share a couple things with you.

1) Return Shipping
Generally they will refund your return shipping if the problem is found to be anything other than user error. HOWEVER, you must ask for the refund. They will never refund it by default and thier agents are trained not to mention it unless the customer asks. They will just tell you to follow the directions on the back of your invoice to return the product.

2) Receiving the Wrong Product (AGAIN!)
MidwayUSA runs a pretty tight shift and they are always pushing for higher effiency. It is cheaper for them to just reship inexpensive items (Under $25 thier cost) than to have an employee stop his normal job to go check a product location for mislabled product. If you are not in a hurry just sit back and let them send you the wrong product again and again for free. If this is something you need right away make sure you tell them and ask to speak with a supervisor to insure it gets checked. Be persitant, the agents are trained to transfer to a supervisor only as a last resort, so keep asking. With that said, only ask for a supervisor in situations that warrant it. You don't want to be added onto the list of customers who always ask for a supervisor. Pick your battles carefully.

3) Try Different People
Even if the problem was caused by the customer (i.e. ordered wrong size) you can generally still get what you are asking for if you complain enough. If you are not getting anywhere with CS Agent you are talking to hang up and call back. Agents are given quite a bit of freedom to make thier own decisions and you will find some are more stuborn about the rules than others.

4) Don't Lose Your Cool
We all know how terrible it is to be waiting for your cool new toy to arrive only to find they sent you the wrong product, or a damaged product, etc. What ever the problem is. No matter how mad you are, you will be most likely to get a favorable result if you are polite, but stern. If you call up fuming and tell them how much they suck, most likely the agent you are talking to will shut down and start "reading from a script". They are people just like the rest of us and if you are polite and tell them what you want done they will work with you.

In conclusion MidwayUSA can be a great place to buy from. They ship SUPER FAST. I have placed orders and had them packed up and ready for pick up in as little as 45 Minutes. Most orders are shiped in under 3 hours. They also have a very wide range of products (yes much of it has been out of stock lately, but that was caused by a MASSIVE increase in demand). Always remember they exist to make a profit. It is up to the consumer to keep them honest.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:48 PM   #14
GunDawg

Never thought this thread would get this much attention, you make me proud fellow TFL'ers.

MidwayUSA said that they will pay for the return shipping once the returned product is received; they will credit my card with the returned holster price + shipping (they say!). I'll let you know.

They have shipped the correct holster (they say) and charged my card again, but free shipping this time.

My beef is this:

I asked them to expedite the shipping of the correct holster since it is going to be 2 weeks longer than expected from original holster order. They said they can’t do better than standard (5 days)

I didn’t care for the response that I received initially.

"You sent me the wrong holster in the right package"
"What kind of weapon do you have?"
"G19"
"Oh, well, the return instructions are on the back of the invoice"

I definitely did not order the wrong holster; it was certainly an error on their end, the wrong holster in the right package.

The inconvenience factor of going to the post office, waiting in line, waiting on the phone with Midway, not having my holster, etc, etc.

I’m not a big fan of companies charging my card then crediting my card, and so on. It sounds good in theory, but in my experience it never works out that good. They are a big company, with lots of orders and lots of phone calls, and lots of cards to credit. First you have to get the right holster in the right package, and then work on the hard stuff.

I sure hope that I don’t get the same tiny holster again. 3 weeks and 2 hours of aggravation for a 17$ holster that i'm almost certain I wont like.
Old March 1, 2010, 07:29 PM   #15
riggins_83

I'm sorry about the bad experience. For what it's worth I've never had an issue with Midway returns, they've always been fast to credit back my CC, etc.

Their website has had some errors over the years with part fit, etc. I've caught two major errors on their site, in both cases I let them know via email. A few days ago I sent them this email, received a response the next day and it was indeed corrected a few days later. Not an issue that tripped me up but I'd rather somebody doesn't end up with the wrong parts because of this.

My email to them 2-26-10:

Quote:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=617711

The website states:

Fits:

* Colt 1911 length pistols and clones, including models from Para Ordnance, Kimber and Springfield Armory. These pistols all have 5" long slides

This slide spring is for a 1911 Commander which is either 4 or 4.25", not 5" (Government model).
Their reply the next day:

Quote:
Thank you for your recent e-mail. I apologize for the confusion with the tech notes on the slide and appreciate you pointing this problem out to us. I have forwarded the corrected information to my supervisor and the change will hopefully take place within a week.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us at [email protected].

Thanks for Your Business!

Dustin V

MidwayUSA Customer Service
Old March 1, 2010, 07:39 PM   #16
cal74

Screwed up order or not, don't understand why it's taking so long to get your stuff? I realize we don't all have easy access to UPS/Fed-Ex or USPS but I've always had whatever I've ordered within 2-3 days no matter what shipping service is used. Not sounding like an ass, but you can choose whatever service will work better for you and usually Priority Mail is quickest. And NO I don't live anywhere near their shipping facilities.

Probably only have ordered 10-15 orders through them, but I've never had a problem. One time I realized there was a discount code I could have used and e-mailed them and they gave me a credit to my account to be used the next time I ordered.
Old March 1, 2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Lavid2002

Had problems with them in the past.... Not a problem. There prices suck anyways....