The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
customf1

1967 Winchester 101 O/U

I picked up a 1967 Winchester 101 O/U I'm going to use it mostly for sporting clays and also shoot some trap with it. The barrels are full/full. Any suggestions for modifications, was thinking of sending it in the briley to get it choked and or getting the forcing cones reamed to tame some the recoil. I havent received the gun yet so I will shoot it first, not sure if recoil will be an issue as I am large framed and it never seems to effect me. I will see how it shoots first before pulling the trigger on any mods. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old December 12, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

First thing you need to do before anything else is fire the gun - those 101s are NOTORIOUS for kicking like a ticked off Missouri mule due to really crappy stock dimensions. If it truly fits you, then have Briley thread it for some choke tubes; most folks find those guns really hurt even with target load
Old December 12, 2013, 02:11 PM   #3
BigJimP

Figuring out if it fits - is always a first step with any new or different shotgun...

So take it to the pattern board / and check the point of impact. Its a full choke ...so easy to check both barrels...make sure they are hitting dead on for a 3" dot at say 21 yds.../ and that both barrels are hitting essentially the same spot....

If it isn't hitting "the spot" ....then it needs stock dimension adjustments so it "fits" you....( to comb, heel or length of pull -- or maybe all 3 )...

If both barrels are not hitting the same spot - meaning they are not regulated properly ....then that's a bigger issue / probably discuss with Briley...

Yes, I would have it fitted for screw in chokes by Briley. At the same time, I'd probably have Briley remove the stock and check the trigger ...and tell them how you want it set....( I like mine around 3.75 lbs for first barrel and 4.25 lbs or so on the second barrel...) but talk to Briley....see what they recommend.
---------------------
A lot of guys shot the 101's back in the day ....don't see many of them around anymore ....and I think their only weak spot I've ever heard of is they tended to break extractors / and I think it was a metal hardening issue ...Briley will probably know more after they inspect the gun if you send it to them.
Old December 12, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
TomADC

Its probably a trap gun made by Nikko in Japan.
What's the stock look like?
Old December 12, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
customf1

here it is: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=380155159
Old December 12, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
zippy13

Quote:
those 101s are NOTORIOUS for kicking like a ticked off Missouri mule due to really crappy stock dimensions
Right-on, BigD, mine beat me to death.
Quote:
What's the stock look like?
Compared to my other O/Us, my W-101s looked skinny enough to have come off a board fence. The 12-ga really pounded my cheek. IIRC, they didn't have a factory recoil pad in those days.
Old December 12, 2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

I know Briley has a great reputation but for the work you are seeking, check out Mike Orlen. He does a great job and has very reasonable prices and excellent customer service.

I had him install screw in tubes on my Franchi Al 48 and couldn't have been happier. He is a member on this board and shotgunnersworld.
Old December 12, 2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Ricklin

Mike is great, but measure your barrel wall thickness and call him with the dimensions before you send off your barrel set.

The 101's have very thin barrel walls, I sent mine to Mike. He could not do it and recommended Briley. I got rid of the gun as Briley was too much money.

Check with him first tho, this was a couple years ago.

101's do kick. Most info I have seen says that the pitch of the stock is wrong for most folks. Mine kicked like a mule, that's the other reason I sent it down the road.

The 101's are very nicely made tho, great quality if you can work out the issues.
Old December 13, 2013, 11:20 AM   #9
TomADC

May not be a trap gun, most back then had monte carlo type stocks.
Old December 13, 2013, 07:16 PM   #10
340 Weatherby

My first O/U was a 101 just like that, only a 26" SKEET. Knowing what I know now, that gun was very tired when I got it, I shot it for ten years and sold it. That guy shot it another six years and then sold it again. They do kick, but I figure back then I deserved to get kicked. Nothing kicks like my Parker though.