The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 16, 2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Abraxxas

5 inch Ruger GP100 Stainless

I've been looking for a full size 357 for a while and narrowed it down to a 686 or a GP100. I decided on the GP100 and thought the 6 inch felt a bit heavy in the front end and a 4 inch was about right, maybe even a touch light but definitely the better of the two in my hand.

While I was searching for deals on a 4 inch I stumbled upon a 5 inch, which I wasn't aware was available but it sounded perfect for my needs and I bought it over the phone, sight unseen. It is waiting for me to pick up in a few weeks and I am eager to see it.

I googled the 5 inch and see that it was made for Davidson's but dont see much info about them other than that. Are they common? I don't think I've ever seen one before and was just curious what anybody might know about it?

Thanks!
Old December 16, 2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Model12Win

They're not that common but are by no means really rare...

A funny story, I bought a 6" stainless GP100 a couple years ago and after my uncle shot it he had to have one! So he buys one and I'm over at his house and he brings it out and I'm like "that seems a little shorter than mine" and he agreed. I looked on the side of the box and it said "KGP-151", sure enough it was a 5" GP100. He was actually a bit peeved because he wanted the 6" version and his dealer told him that's what it was, but truth be known I liked his 5" version better!

5" is a great barrel length for .357 magnum, plenty or room to let the magnum do it's thing but no so long as to be too bulky or muzzle heavy. I prefer a 4" on a .357 revolver but I use them only for defense and don't hunt.

I think you will be very pleased with your 5" GP100, it is a great size bbl for a great revolver.
Old December 16, 2014, 10:49 PM   #3
LeverGunFan

I'm a fan of Skeeter Skelton, so a few years ago I read one of his old articles for Shooting Times magazine where he wrote that the 5 inch barrel was his favorite length for revolvers. When I saw the GP100 in 5 inch I had to get it... it's easily the best shooting revolver that I own. Ruger has been making this model for Davidson for a few years, but it's only recently that they have listed it in their distributor specials.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100D...eets/1740.html

I think you are going to like it a lot.
Old December 16, 2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Deaf Smith

I'd take the 5 incher ONLY if it had a half lug barrel.

The GP weighs enough as it is.

I have the 3 and 4 inch GP100s and they are excellent carry and field guns. Both 1/2 lug as they are CAI imports (Canadian ex police) with fixed sights.

Deaf
Old December 17, 2014, 12:43 AM   #5
Model12Win

Deaf I agree with you on the half-lug barrel love! I just got this late production (2012) KGPF-340:

Perfect for a defense revolver, but I handled my uncles full lug 5" GP100 and it also really felt pretty good. Heavy yes, but the muzzle heavy feel and adjustable sights would be great for target/silhouette shooting.

Now my 6" full lug GP100 kind of passes the point of diminishing returns. It's a chunk, and not much fun to hold up for extended range sessions. It is however VERY, VERY steady and accurate. Still I'm glad I bought this smaller GP and might sell the 6" gun if I need to down the road.

OP, I think you will have a great "all rounder" GP that will be good for everything except concealed carry, unless you are a truly large guy! I'm fairly small at 5' 7" and 175 lbs, and I can barely get away with the above 4" GP in a simply rugged sourdough IWB and only if I've got a heavy coat on!

Darn it... NOW I WANT A 5" GP JUST THINKIN ABOUT IT!!!
Old December 17, 2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Abraxxas

Thanks for the info guys! I have a 357 snubbie and a few different pocket 9's for EDC and a Raging Bull 454 if I want something to hunt with. What I'm lacking is a nice wheel gun in my bag for range duty.

I got caught up in the auto's and AR's when I got old enough to start my own collection, not many wheels though. I bought my girlfriend her first gun as an early christmas present, a Smith 642 for EDC. Seeing her fall in love with it fills me with nostalgia of how I loved shooting with my dad and his Colt King Cobra growing up, so I started looking and found the GP.

I plan on having the trigger done, working up a nice nice target load and having it with on range day from here on out

That's a nice looking piece Model12, I plan on getting some of those pretty grips too!! Maybe your uncle will trade you his 5 for your 6 and everybody will be happy

Last edited by Abraxxas; December 17, 2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old December 17, 2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Greguw

I have one of the Davidsons customs GP100 in 5" , also having the 4" and 6" to compare the 5" is a really nice balanced revolver .
I purchased the 5" last in my line up , I like it better than the 6" but it really close when it comes to the 4" just because the 4" was my shooter for years ...
The 5" is one of the must have if your a diehard wheel guy .
Old December 17, 2014, 10:26 PM   #8
PatientWolf

For some reason I like the odd length barrels on revolvers better than even. 3" or 5" over 2", 4" or 6". I even like 7" in single action.
Old December 18, 2014, 04:35 AM   #9
Deaf Smith

Model12,

Yep the 1/2 lug barrels make the gun manageable.

My 'Canadian' police trade in 3 inch GP is my field gun. I could easily CCW it, especially since I now have a DAO hammer I installed myself.

Deaf
Old December 18, 2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Model12Win

Looks good, Deaf. Glad the hammer dog swap worked for you! I like your web belt setup too, we still use those in the military from time to time and they seem like they'd be great for a gun like the GP.

OP when you get that 5" GP we'd love to see pics!
Old December 18, 2014, 06:09 PM   #11
Abraxxas

Great looking stuff guys!! I cant wait to pick mine up. I'm moving the first weekend of Jan, I have to get a drivers license in the state I'm moving to once I get there, then I can pick it up. I'll post a couple pics when that happens!
Old December 18, 2014, 07:07 PM   #12
mellow_c

And now... *sigh* I feel like I need a 5 inch... when all I really need is more ammo and free time. I guess we'll just see what the new year brings.
sorry for getting off topic, but is there a good way to smooth out/lighten up the double action on an sp101? I had a two inch a while back and sold it because the fixed sights were too far off for my tastes, and ever since I wanted to try my luck with another one with a 3 inch barrel. My only problem is that the sp101's trigger was pretty bad in comparison to my GP100 6".
Old December 21, 2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Rogervzv

I had my gunsmith smooth out the internals and apply the Wolf Spring Kit to my SP101 .357. She shoots really well now and the trigger is very smooth and mellow. So yes, you can definitely improve the trigger on an SP101.

Old December 21, 2014, 11:40 AM   #14
Model12Win

I recommend dry firing with snap caps... a lot. You will be amazed at how well the gun can naturally smooth out by itself over time. If your SP101 is a defensive piece, steer clear from reduced power spring kits. Ruger made the factory springs how they did for a reason, to ensure reliable ignition every time under all conditions. It's a matter of dry firing and getting used to the trigger pull.

Try that before getting work done on it. I think too many people are quick to throw in a weakened spring set instead of giving the gun time to naturally smooth.
Old December 22, 2014, 12:15 AM   #15
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Looks good, Deaf. Glad the hammer dog swap worked for you! I like your web belt setup too, we still use those in the military from time to time and they seem like they'd be great for a gun like the GP.

Thanks Model12,

I'll post photos of my hammerless GP100 very soon. Haven't gotten in the Ruger front sight blade for the 4 inch GP yet.

Once it's in I'll polish up the revolver (it is already timed perfect) and show it to. Still looking for decent combat style wood grips.

The pouches on the GP web belt have purposes!

The six shot cartridge holder has both bird shot and slugs.

The pouch by the knife sheath is a Bianchi dual speed strip pouch.

And the one by the cross draw Buchmeyer holster has a snake bite kit and quickclot bandage.

And that knife is a Black Jack 'Jet Pilot' number 15 knife.

Deaf
Old December 22, 2014, 05:38 PM   #16
Model12Win

Wow, that's a nice setup! I may have to look into making a similar one for my GP. Would be a great little rig for hunting and other field work.
Old December 22, 2014, 06:04 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

And if your GP is a 4 inch, get a old Hunter Holster (I prefer the older ones, the new ones look to cheap to me) and a GI belt. Easy to come by.

Any good sheath knife works (in fact the Buck 119 looks good and the sheath is very strong.)

I found the old 6 shot loop holder at a pawn shop and the holster was at a gun shop in their junk bin.

As for my 3 inch GP..

Here is my 3 incher GP DAO, 4 inch GP I just picked up and swapped the hammers, and my Speed Six with DAO hammer to.

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; November 11, 2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old December 23, 2014, 02:57 PM   #18
jolly roger

I picked up a 5 inch GP last year and it is a fine shooting revolver. Put Wolff springs in it and a green fiber optic front for my old eyes. Put Altamont snake skin wood inserts into the old style rubber grip and it is sweet
Old December 23, 2014, 05:03 PM   #19
Glockstar .40

The 5" aren't rare. Especially in my neck of the woods. That's all I could find last year when I was searching for a 4" SS. Finally found a 4" at a gun show as I was about to leave. LOVE shooting that gun! Built like a tank and shooting full power .357 is a breeze with it. I imagine a 5" barrel will be even smoother. ENJOY
Old December 28, 2014, 10:06 AM   #20
smee78

I do have a 4" but think the 5" is the pick of the litter, it just seems to be the best of both world as far as length VS weight for me. I went with the 4" because a friend was turning one out for a good price so I "helped him out".
Old December 29, 2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Real Gun

This is a pic of my 5-incher with a Simply Rugged cross draw and Eagle grips, which I have since replaced with Lett style grips and Ruger branded inserts.