The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Hardcase

Loading .38-40 for rifle

I've got a Colt Lightning in .38-40. It's one of several family rifles that have been going from generation to generation. My nephew is next up, but not for some time, I hope!

It gets shot every now and then, maybe 30 or 40 rounds a year. I take loving care of it, something that previous generations did not do (I think that I may be the first person who ever cleaned it.) I'd like to reload the hundred or so cases of brass that I have in a coffee can. I've been using commercial cowboy loads which work just fine. I just hate seeing that brass sitting there. It calls to me. I also don't much care for the price of .38-40 ammo.

It looks like dies are not a problem. I see a couple of issues, though, one being that I can't seem to find any load data in my books and the other being that I've heard that 38-40 cases are pretty fragile. Does anybody care to address either?

Also, what bullet is appropriate - flat nose lead, obviously, but I don't cast bullets, so do I just slug the barrel and find something in that diameter that's equivalent to what I've been buying commercially loaded?

What about necking down 44-40 cases? Am I looking for trouble doing that?

To be honest, with the amount of shooting that I do with that old rifle, I probably can't justify the trouble or expense of reloading for it, but I really enjoy reloading, so I guess that makes it worth it.

BTW, today is one of the lucky "shooting .38-40 days". I'm heading out in a few hours!