The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2015, 02:25 PM   #1
PhantomI

Glock 22 Gen 4 reloading with Dillon SDB

Thinking about starting on the 40. I currently reload 9mm, 38 Special and 357 Mag on my SDB. The question: Is additional work on the brass required to properly resize (ie a bulge buster or similar die)? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Tom
Old May 23, 2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I don't have a Glock, so all I can go by is what I've read and the fact Redding calls their die GRx, meaning Glock Prescription. So it must be a common issue to have bulged cases from their 40's. Redding makes super high quality dies, but the Lee CFCD die plus bulge-buster kit appears to combine to do the same thing for less money. With either system, I would lube cases to make the process go easier.

My experience with bulges in the .45 Auto suggest that if you load for target velocities and pressures, you won't normally have any bulging, even with a barrel that has a generous chamber mouth throating job. If you get a Lone Wolf barrel for your Glock to have conventional rifling for shooting lead, it apparently provides additional case support that eliminates much if not all of the bulge, too, even with full-power loads.

I have mixed feelings about how much to expect from the strength of de-bulged cases for full-power loads or how many reloads you can get before you get cracks and possible gas cutting pits in the chamber. They're no-doubt fine for target loads, but if you need to shoot full power with your reloads, I'd take a serious look at the better support the after-market barrel brings.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 23, 2015, 03:15 PM   #3
PhantomI

Thanks for your thoughts. My intention was for target loads only. I buy my SD loads (Speer Gold dots) for this gun. The question I am trying to resolve is how much to spend on this project. The SDB works fine for all the cartridges I currently load.
Old May 23, 2015, 04:30 PM   #4
skizzums

it all depends on if your gun actually bulges the cases. grab some fire case out of your gun and take measurements and see if it rechambers properly.

I don't know how I feel about busting a bulge and then re-firing it though the same unsupported chamber, I think that just asking for a separation. but a lot of people's glocks don't damage the brass whatsoever.
Old May 23, 2015, 04:38 PM   #5
jepp2

The only 40 brass I have to run through the bulge buster is range pick up, and only the first time I process them. Even though I shoot Glocks, for my pistols there is enough chamber support and my loads aren't so hot that they bulge. I will include a picture of the bulge I do get, but as you can see it is well within the chamber. Just normal firing expansion. And not all range brass requires the bulge buster. Maybe only 3%, but it easier to run them all through and be done with it.

Old May 23, 2015, 07:06 PM   #6
PhantomI

Thanks you for the input.