The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2006, 03:02 AM   #1
mako8551

Ever played russian roulette w/ a leveraction???

I recently got my best friend into shooting and consequently into reloading. We are both young guys on a budget so when his dad loaded up about 200 rds of 45-70 we thought it was our lucky day.......um no it wasn't.
We both took turns shooting the marlin 1895.
I'm 1 stall to the right of my best friend when the gun blows up in his hands. I'm hit with parts of gun and hand. I just think is hot brass and turn to yell at him. The gun blew in half. The part of the barrel that was screwed into the receiver was bloomed out like the Elmer Fudd gun after Buggs was done w/ it. His left hand took most of it and looked like hamburger with the pinky clearly gone. We got him to the best hand surgeon in the area who put him back together. Hand looks funky but is functional, really only lost the pinky.
After I pulled the remaining rounds I found 4 that were accidentally loaded w/ longshot pistol powder. Not only did the one in the chamber go off but it set off the first shell in the mag too. Yall know it already but never shoot anyone else’s reloads. Not even daddy’s. (who is still reloading btw) I have to go shooting alone now.
Old September 11, 2006, 03:34 AM   #2
joshua

Sorry for your buddy's unfortunate incident. That just shows you that when reloading you must give it your full attention and have some QC procedures to ensure safety. josh
Old September 11, 2006, 06:45 AM   #3
garryc

When I'm reloading there is one can of powder allowed on the bench, the one I'm useing. I charge the cases and then check the levels. Then I recheck the scale and the book before I seat.
Old September 11, 2006, 07:30 AM   #4
maas

if i ever forget to remove the remaining powder out of the loader i throw it away. even if i know for a fact the last powder i used was reloader 19.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old September 11, 2006, 08:07 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Wow; glad he's ok (relatively).

Rule #1: Don't ever trust anyone else's reloads. Ever. Period.

Rule #2: Don't even trust your own reloads unless you should. Unless you're very meticulous, etc.
Old September 11, 2006, 08:57 AM   #6
chemist308

hmmm....no i never played that game with a lever action, but I used to play it with a single shot 410 when I was about 14... Though i think the name of that game is something more along the lines of sweet release...and Hell No i don't do that as an adult.
Old September 11, 2006, 09:15 AM   #7
deadin

Years ago I bought a "last-ditch" K98 Mauser (You know the type, lots of tool marks, laminated stock, spot-welded bands, etc.)from a friend. Anyway, he threw in 4 or 5 boxes of WW2 German milsurp ammo and one box of what he called "the good stuff". When I asked what "the good stuff" was, he said he had "souped them up" by pulling the bullets and pouring in some more powder. I asked what kind of powder and he said he couldn't remember as he had picked it up at a garage sale, but the really made the gun roar and put out lots of muzzle flash.
Now I've never had the patience to work up a duplex load, but I understand you really need to know what you're doing in order to stay out of trouble.
(or you need to be totally vacant and some higher power will take pity on you )

I never did shoot the rifle, I figured that it had had enough stress already.

Dean
Old September 11, 2006, 09:41 AM   #8
gdm

Thats like the old joke about 3 guys wanting to play russian roulette with an automatic.A guaranteed loser every time.

There used to be an old super blackhawk in the gunshop I frequented. The previous owner of the gun thought that he could push the 44 mag to the limit and apparantly then some because he had heard how stout and solid the blackhawk was.It went like a hand grenade.That blown apart gun was there,on a board and glued back in a jigsaw puzzle like manner for at least 15 years.The guy that pushed his luck had died and seriously injured onlookers at the range.

If this man had indeed stuffed more powder in a round, I would not want to fire the gun even with regular loads made for it,it might have damaged something critical.Theres another story about a guy that ran a business of selling old milsurp guns. One blew up and killed him.It was a sad day indeed.

Great care should be handled in handloading.Know the limits and never ever fool around.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:07 PM   #9
roscoe

Inteesting to hear that one round in the magazine was touched off. that's the first I ever heard of that. People talk about it, but I never actually have heard of it happening.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Scorch

When I was running a shop, I bought a Python for parts.

The reason it was bought for parts was I got it from a guy who reloaded 357 Mag ammo for it with a Lee Loader. He chose a powder at random, filled the case, and seated the bullets. The frame bent so much it was no longer in range, but he kept shooting.

After 30 rounds, it would no longer lock, so he brought it to the gunsmith because it was spitting and wouldn't lock. Gunsmiths can fix anything, right? I told him his $600 revolver was now junk, and asked what he had been doing. When he told me how he reloaded, I asked for one of the rounds, and asked for the powder can. Did you know you can get a compressed load of 36 gr (IIRC) of 2400 into a 357 case? Neither did I.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:26 PM   #11
Anthony Terry

Man, some people are just friggen stupid. But some just make a simple mistake that cost them big time. The guys dad prolly made a mistake but the dude scorch is talking about is just a Re re! I handload too, and it takes me 4 to 5 hours to make 100 rds usually. Id rather take mt time than take my own life though.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:35 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Wow! Glad he didn't lose an eye or hurt anyone else at the range. Losing a finger is bad enough.

I'd go with garryc's analysis. I'll bet his dad had more than one can of powder within reach when he was reloading.

I've been reloading going on 40 years now and to this day, I never have more than one can of powder on the bench at any time. There are maybe 30 or so in a cabinet next to the bench, but each one goes back before another one is allowed to touch the bench. Those new to reloading need to keep this in mind.

Oh, and by the way, mako, you won that round!