The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
dffiremeup

New Remington 870 Wingmaster - Flawed Stock?

I recently purchased a brand new Remington 870 Wingmaster and noticed a knot in the stock. Running your hand over the knot, you can feel it. I wanted to know if you guys think this is a flawed stock and needs to be sent back to Remington for replacement or repair? I am a little disappointed after spending this much for a shotgun but wanted to know if you think this is unacceptable or should I just live with it?

Pictures Attached

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Last edited by dffiremeup; August 12, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
jmr40

Without holding the gun in my hands I cannot say for sure. I might call Remington and talk to them. The wood is harder on the knot and might not have smoothed up when the gun was finished. It is also quite possible it was perfect when it left the factory and swelled up after. Wood will sometimes do that, no matter how carefully you try to finish it. The more figure in the wood, the more likey problems like this are. A plain straight grained piece if wood is usually the most stable.

Personaly I doubt if it will effect function. Since I cannot "feel" the stock, I cannot tell just how bad the issue is.